The Dilemma

Hyperbole

Do Kyungsoo.

What is a word that best describes EXO-K’s Do Kyungsoo?

Every one of the members in EXO-K would say that the most fitting word would be “mother”. He was the one who nags about dirty laundry and rooms. He was the one who arranges every piece of clothing according to their colour. He was the one who takes care of the members when Suho was busy with his responsibilities as leader. And of course, he was the one who cooks for them.

Every time they return to their dormitory, the maknae line, Kai and Sehun, would immediately cling onto both his arms, and say, “Hyung! Let’s eat!”

“What are you going to cook today?”

“Oh wait! Don’t tell us anymore. It’s kimchi spaghetti, right?”

And every time, he just quietly says, “No, I’m too tired. Cook your own. I’m going to bed.” It’s scarier this way, he thought. However, if every other member in EXO-K was asked about a skill the maknae line was good at (other than dancing, of course…), it was persuasion.

They tighten their hold on his arms, and said, “But hyung, aren’t you hungry too? We did not get too eat for twelve hours straight!”

“And at the end of a very tiring day, are you really willing to accept the fact that we are going to cook the very last meal for the day?”

“Don’t you think it would be much more satisfying and gratifying to have better food after work?”

That always got Kyungsoo. They did have a point. Just about everything that the two had ever cooked were either inedible or just plain terrible to say the least. It was also a big waste on their monthly budget. And of course, he did not really plan on vomiting everything he had eaten since he would grow even more tired. He would have to laundry everything he and the other members had worn. He would have to take more time in taking a bath. He would have to clean the bathroom to extinguish the awful smell of everyone’s vomit. He did not want that to happen at all. Not a single bit of it.

It was one of those days again. He grew tired of these arguments, if they could even call it that. He wondered why he was still even fighting back; trying to win a fight he had lost over and over again. With an exasperated sigh, he said, “Fine! You got me. Go clean up, and I’ll have dinner ready right after,” and immediately, headed towards the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator, pulling out some potatoes, onions, garlic, and tomato puree. He also got himself chicken chunks in a can from the kitchen cupboard since it would take an awful lot of time to defrost the chicken in their freezer.

He pulled out a pot that was a few sizes smaller than that of a witch’s. Sehun may be the one with the biggest appetite, but they were boys after all. The fact that it was their first meal of the day did not help either.

He peeled and cut the potatoes, and put them immediately into the pot and filled it with water to prevent them from oxidizing. He put the pot onto the stove and put the fire on medium heat. He then proceeded to slice up the other ingredients, but was interrupted by a voice.

“So, cooking again, huh?”

“Joonmyun-hyung, if I didn’t do it, who will?”

“You know I could have just paid for a take out,” the leader stated. Kyungsoo raked his hair with his fingers and said, “Could have told me earlier.” Out of curiosity, however, Joonmyun couldn’t help but ask, “What are you cooking anyway?” looking into the pot as he did so.

Disappointment etched on his features. It seemed that he did not expect or want what was in the pot.

“Potatoes,” he said; his voice raising a pitch higher. “I don’t remember potatoes being in your kimchi spaghetti.” Kyungsoo was speechless. He could not believe that the leader would also egg him onto cooking that thing. And I thought he was considerate, he thought.

He cleared his throat, and prepared his routine answers. “Hyung, I thought we agreed that I will only cook that on a Friday evening. It’s Tuesday, hyung.”

Joonmyun was about to reply but Sehun’s voice rang through the whole dorm. “Finished cleaning! Kimchi spaghetti, come to papa.” He ran to Kyungsoo and hugged him. “Umma, I’ve cleaned my room! Can I please eat kimchi spaghetti,” he said pouting his lips and staring at Kyungsoo, making a face akin to that of a small child asking his parents to buy a toy for him.

Kyungsoo simply looked at him, face void of any expression, and repeated what he had just said to their leader, “No, it’s Tuesday.”

Sehun pouted at this statement. “But I wanted to eat some! It’s been 4 days, hyung,” he said, a bit of desperation tinted his voice.

Kyungsoo did not react. It had always been the same every time they beg him to cook the wretched dish. He just pushed Sehun off of him, and continued slicing the rest of the ingredients rather forcefully. “Take a shower. Dinner will be ready right after,” he said coldly.  Sehun left him to his duties.

Once he finished slicing, he tossed them into the pot, and took the bottle of tomato puree. He opened the bottle, and chucked all the contents of the bottle into pot as if he was continuously stabbing a monster from his nightmares, never forgetting to mutter a chain of curses and kimchi spaghetti. Once done, he opened the can of chicken chunks and put all of it into the pot as well. He then covered the pot and let it boil.

He was about to cook rice, when he remembered that they had left over rice in the fridge. He also figured that it would be too much of a hassle to cook rice for these ungrateful child-like adults. He pulled out the bowl of rice from the fridge and saw that it had turned dry and rigid. He could not careless however. He put a little amount of tap water into the bowl and chucked it into the microwave oven to let it heat.

Steam seeped through the cracks of the door of the bathroom, signalling Kyungsoo that the maknae had finished his shower. He then hurriedly pulled out the bowl of rice from the microwave oven, and put out the fire from the stove. He was finally done with his duties.

“Sehun, once you’ve dressed up, call the others and ask them to set the table.”

“Ok, hyung.”

Kyungsoo then nodded and began walking into his room. He was later stopped by Sehun’s inquiry.

“Hyung, wait… Aren’t you eating?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“I’m tired. I’ll just take a shower and head to bed” With that, he went into his room.

Once he had locked the door, thoughts immediately pooled into his mind. Thoughts that made him feel like eliminating someone. Or in this case, something.

How do I even get rid of such a thing? he thought. There has to be some way…

He scanned the room thinking that he might get an idea, but since his brain seemed too tired to even process what he wanted to do in this first place, he decided to take a shower. ‘That’ll wake me up,’ he thought. He then proceeded to pull a shirt and a pair of boxers from his clothing rack and laid them in bed as if they were to break any second.

Right after, he reached for his towel which was also in the clothing rack and left his room.

As he passed the dining area, Kai called out to him, “Hyung! Are you sure you aren’t gonna eat?”

This gesture somehow touched Kyungsoo, a small smile replaced his distressed expression and assured, “Yes, Kai. I’m pretty full.”

“Oh, and hyung, this is pretty delicious!” Kai chimed. This statement made Kyungsoo’s smile wider. At least someone appreciates my efforts, he thought. “Thanks, Kai.” His happiness, however, died down as quickly as it came once Kai uttered his next words.

“Nothing beats your kimchi spaghetti though, hyung!”

He continued, “Sometimes I actually wish that every day was Friday. That’s how much I love it!”

Kyungsoo then looked at Kai with eyes wide as an owl in the night. That’s it, he thought. Another smile crept up, as he said, “I’m glad you think that way Kai!”

 

“Maybe you’ll just have to believe in miracles then,” he continued.