Wolf Hunt

Wolf Hunt

I ran faster than I had ever thought myself possible. Jumping, gliding, practically flying over the rocky terrain of the mountains. Gravel crunched under my feet with every step I took, shifting to accommodate my weight. I didn't pay this any mind as I kept pumping my legs to keep moving, to keep going, to get away from whatever was growling behind me.



I took a deep breath, attempting to refill my lungs with quickly re-escaping air, hearing the wolf's chilling howl behind me. I flinched when I tripped over a mal placed tree branch, my hands taking the fall's beating as I now had several scrapes and cuts on them, stinging at the edges. I payed them not an ounce of heed as I struggled to pick myself off of the earth's floor, the hair on the back of my neck standing straight up as I heard another howl, closer this time. Another howl rang into the air after it, answering back.



I felt my blood chill in my very veins, my breath leave me with a breathless gasp as I realized there was more than one wolf. It, well more like they now, had chased me until I had no choice but to climb the mountain for any chance at escape. This was poor judgement on my part as they followed anyway.



I forced myself to keep moving, if I stayed my death was warranted, if I kept on going at least I would have a chance, a small one, but it was still a chance nonetheless. I brushed the hair from my face, breaths coming out in rough pants, ringing loud and clear in the air for all to hear. 

 

 
I practically flew from the cover of trees to open rocky mounts, the change in my surroundings causing me to stop for a few crucial seconds. It wasn't until I heard the howls that I was shaken from my reverie, eyes quickly scanning in the bright full Moon's light for any path away, for any place to run, to hide. 
 
 
 
A small opening on the mountain wall caught my attention. I foolishly weighed the pros and cons of hiding in a small cave even as I made my way to the entrance, fatigued from my run, not wanting to travel back into the forest's rough brush. If I could fit in here than surely the wolves would be able to, as well. But even as my mind tried to reason, my body was just to tired to listen as I crawled as quickly into the small crevice, panting in relief, trying to quiet myself less they hear me. 
 
 
 
I scooted more inside the small cave, the walls surrounding me releasing pleasant warmth. 
 
 
 
My eyebrows furrowed at the light in the middle of the cave, bright almost bluish, white light. My eyes were transfixed on it as I moved closer to the wondrous light, sitting in the middle of it and looking up. What I saw was the jewel of the night sky, the bright full Moon, embracing me with its Evangelical fluorescence. 
 
 
 
The hair on the back of my neck stood again, my breathing picking up as I felt as though I was being watched. I looked frantically around but only saw inky darkness, just me in the Moon's illuminating spotlight. 
 
 
 
I shivered when I heard the howls again, closer this time. I held my breath hearing nothing until I heard the echo of gravel crunching near the small cave's entrance. 
 
 
 
I couldn't help it. Even with all the lessons in the world, no one would be able to stop hyperventilating when it was their life on the line, when in this game of life it was theirs they were gambling. I clenched my eyes tight and prayed to any and all deities I could possibly think of. I knelt there, in the middle of the Moon's spotlight, hands clasped together on my chest, saying my prayers with reverent desperation. 
 
 
 
When I finally opened my eyes, there weren't the two wolves that were chasing me. 
 
 
 
No, now there were twelve.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Totally inspired by EXO's Wolf. Auuuuuu!! xD lol fail suspense. Thanks to anyone who read and subbed (Unnie and my Pixi) and who commented!! ^0^
 
 
Hope you enjoyed...whatever this was!!