3

Transilluminate

“Any progress?” Kai asked as he scribbled on his notebook. “It’s been a week, right?”

 

Sehun, also scribbling on his notebook, just nodded slightly. “Hm.”

 

Kai looked up to see his friend. There are just two of them at the library for now. Somehow they ended up here when Sehun said they need to finish the papers from the Mrs. ‘Hong De Ville’ if they want to graduate soon. “So, any progress?”

 

“Hm.” Sehun just nodded slightly again as he continued to write and write.

 

Kai frowned to him. “Why do I feel not so well about your ‘hm’?”

 

Sehun looked up to meet his eyes. “Hm?”

 

“That.” Kai pointed at him. “Your ‘hm’ contains a lot of meanings, either it’s an answer or question, disagreements or agreements, either good or bad.” his index fingers created a circle motion. “Either it means you’re doing well or you’re building a problem with yourself.”

 

The latter just frowned, before he continued his papers again. “Hm.”

 

Actually there’s more of what Kai summarizes from Sehun’s infamous ‘hm’s from all these years. It means that he doesn’t have the exact answer for his question. And it means he’s a bit troubled of dealing with it. So it means, Sehun is dealing with something new, something he never touched or even expected before.

 

“You’re doing well with Luhan hyung right?” Kai impatiently pushed again. Somehow he feels a bit suspicious and aware of Sehun’s new assignment.

 

“I’m doing well.” Sehun said, chuckled when he heard Kai sighed in relief over his answer. “I came to know him better. Soon enough I’ll figure out if he still has this unfinished wish.”

 

Kai nodded as he writes again on his notebook. “Good to know.” he said. “Wondering how Luhan hyung will be taken.”

 

Honestly Sehun has been wondering about it too. That’s the lack of their job, they know the target and what they need to do with them, but they don’t know how the target will be taken by themselves. Or to be simplified, they don’t know how their target will die. That’s the basic rule. Angels only got to know who’s the target they’ll take a soul from, not how the target will die and how they’ll take the soul. Sehun once was so shocked when he needs to take a soul when the target just delivered a baby. That’s the biggest joke in the world; losing a life after giving birth to a new life.

 

“Geez, why does it have to be one of our friends.” Kai sighed sadly. “I mean, Luhan hyung just became a close friend. I’m going to be sad when he left. And not to mention that you’re the one who will pick up his soul.”

 

“Sshh.” Sehun glared at him. Then his gaze softened. “Yeah. It whenever our target is our acquaintances.”

 

“Suho and Kris really love to torture us mentally.” Kai murmured.

 

Sehun just smiled briefly before he continues his papers. Everyone loves to torture themselves.

 

 

 

Luhan loves summer.

 

Somehow he loves the hot air, the scent of anxiety and overwhelming excitement coming along every single breath he took. He loves how everyone seems to be in a good mood every time the sun shines a tad bit too bright on them. The flowers that bloomed in spring could shine more in this kind of weather, and it’s also a good moment to spend your time strolling alone on a beach or maybe with someone you loved – what a cheesy scene but Luhan loves cheesy scenes so that’s fine. The sky becomes more colored in blue more than in any weather. It becomes so blue and bright, along with puffy white grayish clouds floating like a happy bunch of cotton candies.

 

He just loves summer like that, because what could be hated from it?

 

And there this guy outside the window walking towards the McDonald building with that not-so-amused face. His pale white skin glows under the sunshine as if he’s some kind of mirror ball biasing the light here and there. And the way he winced because the sun is too bright for his liking, Luhan can’t hold to brings out a giggle and wave.

 

“Sehun!!” Luhan mouthed.

 

Sehun just nodded casually to him and keeps walking, breathing in relief when he finally stepped into the building, feeling the cool breeze from the air conditioner. He walked towards Luhan and took a seat in front of him. “Sorry I’m late.”

 

“Yeah you’re thirteen minutes late.” Luhan grinned. “But that’s fine.”

 

Sehun cringed. “Sorry.”

 

Luhan rolled his eyeballs ever cutely. “I said that’s fine. That’s your burger anyway, cheese burger as what you texted me.” he said as he pointed at the cheese burger and soft drink in front of Sehun. “But I was surprised, though, when you called me to meet up here. What’s wrong?”

 

“Thanks. Nothing’s wrong.” Sehun answered casually as he unwraps the burger, inhaling the delicious scent of cheese and beef and reduced days by unnecessary fats. “I just want to spend more time with you. Is that wrong?”

 

A pang of nervousness mixed with guilt rushes through his veins when he glanced at Luhan. The guy is blushing, eyes widened in shock at Sehun’s answer. And by the way the deer eyed guy chuckled nervously, he could tell that he had made a lie that’s unforgivable. Playing with someone’s heart is unforgivable.

 

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said such a corny thing like that. I’m sorry.” Sehun blurts out.

 

“N-no, that’s fine.” Luhan grinned widely. “You’re humorous, I get it.”

 

Sehun chuckled in amusement as he sips his soft drink, knowing the fact that his name and ‘humorous’ word shall not be put in one sentence.

 

Five minutes passed with Sehun chewing his burger while thinking about how he should continue his task and Luhan busy calming down his madly beating heart. Finally Sehun decided to start a conversation again after he finished his burger and slurped the soft drink again. He cleared his throat, startling the innocent Luhan who’s still struggling with his Big Mac.

 

“Tell me, hyung,” Sehun started smoothly, “if somehow you only have less than forty nine days left to live, what wish you’d like to be granted before you die?”

 

Luhan laughed cheerily – somehow the boy’s mood became so bright. “What kind of question is that??” he said.

 

“Just answer it.” Sehun grinned too. He has been grinning and smiling like an idiot lately, and he likes and dislikes it.

 

It’s always like this. Sehun will find the right timing of asking that question, and his target will start thinking for a while before they blabbered about their dreams and wishes, possibilities that will never happen. They’d told him their craziest dreams, and Sehun will also try to converse along with them, until he finally figure out if there’s any necessary wish he need to grant them. Like a girl he helped once, she had a lot of dreams such as becoming a member in an idol group and a famous ballerina, yet Sehun figured out that she always want to meet her twin sister that was separated from her when they were children. So Sehun helped her to find her, and when they finally meet, the girl thanked Sehun and said that she finally felt so complete. Two days after that Sehun picked up her soul and guided her to the ‘door’.

 

Sehun waited in anxiety, hands clasped firmly on the table as he watched Luhan stared at the ceiling, thinking about an answer. He’s curios with how crazy Luhan’s dreams would be.

 

“Well I actually want to become a professional dancer first before I die, but since I only have forty nine days, then it’s failed.” Luhan chuckled. “I think don’t really have a wish to be granted.”

 

Okay, what? Sehun frowned. His eyebrows furrowed slightly. How this guy could have no particular wish? Every human has dreams and wishes, although some of them are crazy and nonsense, but that’s just how humanity works; everyone is a dreamer.

 

“Seriously?” Sehun said suspiciously.

 

Luhan shrugged. “It’s not like I don’t have any, but well, I don’t really have a particular wish. I just live, and feel satisfied with it. I never asked for more.” he smiled. “Hey, what about you?”

 

“I..” Sehun whispered. “I don’t really have any particular wish either.”

 

“What? Seriously?” Luhan asked in curiosity. “You don’t have any dream or wish?”

 

Sehun nodded slowly, still in trance with Luhan’s previous statement. “Just like you.”

 

“Awesome!” Luhan clapped his hand and flashed that toothy grin again. “It means you’re also satisfied with your life!”

 

No, Sehun screamed inside. He’s never satisfied with his life. But he never felt incomplete either. He’s not even sure if he could call what he’s doing on earth as ‘living’. He just there, sent from above, doing his job without much questions. Or well, he did questioned a few things at first, but since Kris always refused to answer and Suho always told him to ask it to Kris – and that thing will go in cycle again, he gave up on asking. He’s just there, acting like a human being, given one sole purpose, which is to pick up and guide souls.

 

But hey, isn’t it means his job is so much easier since Luhan doesn’t have any wish to be granted? He’d just wait for the day of Luhan’s death and pick him up. Luhan won’t remember anything about him either when his soul stepped out from his physical body. Sehun will tell him that he’s an angel of death and he come to pick him up, and Luhan will understand and go with him. It’s always like that. Luhan won’t remember any of this, of their simple lunch, of talking with Sehun and blushed in front of him, of eating an unhealthy burger along with him. It’s as if Sehun never existed in his life.

 

“Isn’t the weather lovely?”

 

Sehun snapped out from his reverie. He found Luhan is staring outside the window, at the annoyingly bright blue sky. He wandered his gaze along, his previous thoughts still sticking in his head.

 

“Hm,” Sehun mumbled, “I don’t really like summer.” he said before he glanced at Luhan – who’s already staring at him – and smiled.

 

It’s quiet normal to see Luhan’s eyes widening on him, but somehow there’s this feeling inside him, telling him that the guy is dealing with something different this time. It’s not an awed stare, nor a shocked one, but it seems like the guy is losing himself inside his own thoughts. Sehun was just about to ask what’s wrong when suddenly Luhan gasped and flinched backward, hand rested on his head.

 

“Hyung, are you okay?” Sehun asked in worry as he watched Luhan cringed in pain.

 

Luhan didn’t answer. He stared at Sehun with that dazed expression, as if he’s demanding the younger to tell him what the hell is going on with him. He frowned more by the overwhelming pain in his head. He clutched on his head, his breath become unsteady.

 

Maybe it’s one of moment when Sehun could prove that his instincts never went wrong, because around two seconds after he stood abruptly and dashed towards Luhan, the tiny guy collapsed in his embrace. And that moment, Sehun swears his heart stopped in horror, and that is, because now he’s certain that he actually does have a heart.

 

_______________________

 

 

I frowned again at him. Few seconds ago he made me wants to bawl my eyes out, now he’s giving me an offer?

 

“Let’s just say, if you do something for me,” he said as he fixed the way he stands, “I’ll give you the chance to talk to him.”

 

My eyes go widened. I could talk to him again?

 

“What do you mean?” I asked.

 

He stares at me. “You do something for me, and I’ll give you the chance to tell him whatever you want him to know.”

 

“And what exactly is that? What do I need to do?”

 

“Hm.” he tapped his chin with his index finger. “I’ll tell you if you agree.”

 

I stared at the mess at the middle of the room. They’re still working on him. I can’t see him, but I know he’s dying. All the doctors said so.

 

Maybe if I agree with this guy, I’ll be able to meet him and tell him all the things I didn’t say to him. Besides, I have nothing to lose at all.

 

Sighing, I glanced back at the guy. “I agree.”

 

He smiled at me. Then he offered his hand on me. I took his hand and shook it slowly. “Now, are you ready?”

 

I nodded slowly. “But,” I said again, “who are you?”

 

He didn’t answer it. He just smiled at me as he brings his index finger up and touched my forehead. And the next second, my head feels like it’s going to explode any second. All I could see is just blinding lights and his smirking face.

 

_______________________

 

 

 “I’m sorry, you’re not his family member, so I can’t tell you the details now.” the doctor said apologetically. The old man must’ve seen how worried Sehun is that he actually want to inform him about Luhan’s condition, but rules are rules.

 

Sehun nodded. “It’s fine. At least I know that he’s alright.”

 

There’s this look in the doctor’s eyes that tells him Luhan is not really that alright, but he can’t push the poor doctor more. It’s already nice that he came to him and tell him that he did the right thing for bringing Luhan there, he can’t burden the old man more.

 

“So do you perhaps know how to contact his family?” the doctor asked again.

 

“His family is in Beijing.” Sehun murmured wryly. “Oh, but he has a cousin here. But I don’t know how to contact him either.”

 

The doctor slowly nodded. “Then we should just wait until he wakes up. Or maybe you could check it on his phone?”

 

“Oh, you’re right.” Sehun said, eyeing Luhan’s phone next to his backpack. He bowed and thanked the doctor when the old man excused himself to go to a surgery appointment. He sits back on the chair and took Luhan’s phone.

 

It has no lock password, Sehun murmured in relief inside. He immediately search through the contact, and cringed at how Luhan named every contact on his phone in Chinese letters. He never learnt Chinese to be exact, so he just stared at the letters confusedly. But then there’s a trance happening inside his head, and he suddenly felt a huge rush of déjà vu. He shook his head before he stared at the screen again. His eyes fell on a contact there.

 

‘Taotao’

 

Taotao? Sehun winced. Hey, I can read Chinese?? his eyes widened. Ignoring that he magically could understand the letters, he immediately dialed the number. He doesn’t even know who he’s calling, but hopefully the person could bring a help for him.

 

Gege!!” a chirpy yet husky voice greeted him.

 

Sehun gulped. What should he say?

 

Then the person continued in Chinese. “Gege? Are you there?

 

“Uh,” Sehun mumbled, “do you perhaps know Luhan?” he idiotically asked.

 

The voice turned serious. He changed the language to Korean. “Of course I know him, he is my cousin. Who is this??”

 

Thank heavens! Sehun sighed in relief. “I’m Sehun, Luhan’s friend.”

 

“Oh,” the guy’s voice turned from serious back to the chirpy one, like he recognized Sehun as some acquaintance, “yeah I know, gege talked a lot about you these days. I’m Zitao. But may I know, why are you using his phone?”

 

“Uhm,” Sehun swallowed again, “I’m – I mean, we’re in the hospital right now. Luhan collapsed when we were eating.”

 

“What??” Zitao gasped in shock. “He what?? He collapsed??”

 

“Uh, yeah, and I don’t know – “

 

“I’ll be right there, text me the address.”

 

Zitao hung up even before Sehun could answer a word. So he put the phone back next to his backpack and just sit, waiting for the guy to arrive. In the middle of his boredom he started to think what he would be saying to him about how Luhan collapsed. Maybe the guy won’t believe him if he explained that Luhan was just staring at him then he looks pained and then he just lost his consciousness. Or even worse, maybe the guy would start blaming him for what happened.

 

And truthfully, Sehun is a bit disappointed. With this, he could assume that Luhan has a certain illness that will probably cause his death. He’s not satisfied with it. He want more, he want a surprising ending. He wants to be surprised with how his target’s life will end. And he couldn’t accept the fact that someone cheery and sunny like Luhan will have a cliché ending.

 

“You’re frowning too much.”

 

Sehun scoffed to the presence that appeared at the left side of him out of nowhere. “I learnt it from you after all.”

 

“What?” Kris frowned, “I’m particularly offended.”

 

“What are you doing here? You said Suho will be checking up on me.”

 

“I’m here, actually.” suddenly he heard Suho’s voice from his right side, and he find the angel is smiling tenderly at him.

 

“Oh whoa,” Sehun sarcastically gasped, “never thought you guys care so much about me.”

 

Kris rolled his eyeballs. “I was just hanging around with him. Now I have something to do. Jiao.”

 

With that, Kris gone into smoke again. Thankfully no one is in sight to witness that. Sehun chuckled, then he turn his attention to Suho. “So?”

 

Suho is the opposite version of Kris in any aspect, except their bright intelligence. Kris is a tall being with that thick eyebrows frowning slightly, fierce eyes and not-so-amused expression. He walks with long strides, as if he doesn’t really care with his surroundings. While Suho is shorter, a slight smile always accompanied his beaming face. He’s aware of everything that’s happening around him. He gives a warm vibe, unlike Kris who often made anyone nervous to be near him.

 

Suho smiled to him. “I’m checking on you. How are you doing with your target?”

 

“Fine, I think.” Sehun murmured. “He’s inside that room. I’m waiting for his cousin to come.”

 

Nodding along, Suho glanced back at him. “So nothing is out of control, right? At least not for now.”

 

“Yeah.” Sehun answered.

 

“Work well, Sehun,” Suho briefed as he patted the latter’s shoulder affectionately, “if you do well with this one, you might have the chance to find your own purpose. And more than that, your peace.”

 

Sehun was just about to ask Suho what he means when the angel disappeared into smoke. He frowned again. Is that supposed to be something he should find out about? He doesn’t know. The curiosity is not really tingling inside him. At least not yet.

 

Fifty two minutes that seems like forever finally ended when he heard hurried footsteps heading towards him. He immediately jerked up, only to find a tall guy abruptly stopped in front of him. And suddenly his fierce eyes widened on him. Sehun frowned, what’s with everyone staring in shock at him? Is his appearance really that bad that everyone stared at him like that?

 

“You’re Zitao?” Sehun asked.

 

The guy didn’t answer. Looks like he’s still in shock, God knows why. He blinked several times, as if he’s trying to assure himself that he’s not dreaming or hallucinating. The guy finally lets out the breath he has been holding.

 

“I- yes I’m ZItao.” he stuttered. “And you’re Sehun, gege’s friend?”

 

Sehun nodded casually as he stood up and bowed slightly. “Nice to meet you.” he said flatly.

 

“U-uh, yes.” Zitao bowed back. “What happened to gege?”

 

Biting his bottom lip, Sehun gestured Zitao to sit. “We were talking and suddenly Luhan had a headache. After a few seconds he collapsed and I immediately brought him here.” he explained carefully. Then he gasped quietly. “It’s not because of burger, right?? Is he allergic to burgers??”

 

Zitao shot him this are-you-serious face before he chuckled. “That’s ridiculous, Sehun-ssi. No, burger is not the cause.”

 

Sehun frowned at him. “Wait, you sound like you already know why.” he said. And worse, Zitao sounds like he’s telling him that Luhan’s headache always happened.

 

Slowly nodding as he sighed heavily, Zitao casted his gaze down on his shoes. “Luhan, uhm,” he mumbled, “he’s kinda sick.”

 

Oh, what a shame.

 

“Sick?” Sehun asked again.

 

Zitao nodded. “He’s sick.”

 

Deciding that he shouldn’t be asking for more, Sehun nodded too. “The doctor said he’s fine for now. He’s resting.”

 

“Oh, that’s great.” Zitao smield briefly. “But why didn’t you wait inside his room?”

 

“I just think I should wait for his family first.” Sehun answered casually.

 

Zitao nodded again as he bitterly smiled. “You’re so similar with him.” he muttered lowly.

 

Sehun frowned. “Who?”

 

“Ah, you heard that?” Zitao nervously laughed before he stood up. “Nothing, no one. Let’s come inside then, Sehun-ssi.”

 

Deciding that he doesn’t really care about the murmur he heard before, Sehun silently followed Zitao into the room. Both of them gasped quietly when they found a pair of round deer-like eyes gazing at them.

 

“You’re awake??” Sehun asked in disbelief.

 

“Gege!!” Zitao cried. He immediately rushed to Luhan’s side. Then they talked in Chinese, and suddenly Sehun felt left out. He decided to get out again to call some nurse to check on the just woke up Luhan. After that he came back again to the room, where Zitao is already sitting next to the bed. Luhan’s head jerked up when he heard someone came, and he immediately smiled to Sehun.

 

“Are you okay now?” Sehun asked.

 

Luhan nodded excitedly. “I’m so sorry for making such a mess.”

 

“Yeah you better.” Sehun smirked. “I was so scared back then.”

 

“I’m sorry.” Luhan murmured again.

 

“That’s fine.” Sehun said casually. “So, I’m leaving now, since your cousin came. Get well –“

 

“N-no, Sehun,” Luhan tried to find Sehun’s hand, gripping it weakly when he did, “can, uh, can you.. stay?”

 

And with that, Sehun is speechless. His eyes widened at the older guy, frowning at how he looks troubled and nervous. He glanced at Zitao, who’s apparently eyeing him right now. A few seconds later the guy nodded slightly at him, approving him to stay. Sehun sighed in relief – much to his surprise – before he stared back at Luhan again. “Okay, hyung.”

 

Then there it is, the smile that made Sehun’s heart fluttered and sends a thousand butterflies into his poor stomach. He doesn’t know what power Luhan possessed that he could make him feel like that. A single smile could make his heart thumps madly. He doesn’t like it, but he like it too. It’s a dilemma that keeps lingering inside his head for the rest of the night, as he watched Luhan’s eyes droops and the tiny guy eventually fall asleep. It’s still torturing his mind as he accompanied Zitao to get some clothes from their apartment a few minutes later.

 

And more than that, he doesn’t even know if angels are able to feel that way.

 

_______________________

 

Hey yo!! I’m still working on the rest of the chapters and I’m seriously in the depths of my despair. I know it sounds hella dramatic but uhuhuhuhuhuhu

 

 

 

Sorry if it’s crappy .__.

 

 

 

*snuggling with Hunnie*