Compensation

Falling HARD
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany sits alone in the booth which Nicole has reserved for her birthday. Everyone else seemed to not care that it was only 11pm on a weekday and they were all at least 8 shots deep as they made their way to the dance floor below. Tiffany watches them and is slightly judging them, not because she thinks they're absolute trash for acting like fools but because she couldn't believe she basically does the exact same thing on a regular basis.

A figure appoaches the booth, it's talking to her but she can't hear or see who it is because of the lights and the loud music. Once it got closer, she noticed it was Nicole. 
"Yah, why aren't you dancing with us?"

She shrugs and takes a sip of the mocktail in front of her. 

Nicole eyes her weirdly and takes the glass out of her hand, taking a sip. "Ack, what is this weak . That's just all juice. No wonder you're no fun tonight, take a shot with me, c'mon!" The cousin awaits no answer and pour some Grey Goose into the empty shot glasses on the table. She hands one to Tiffany and raises the one in her hand to cheers but gets no movement from the other girl. "Tiff, what the heck? Cheers?"

Tiff sighs and cheers'd Nicole, quickly downing the shot. It burns as it goes down but the taste no longer bothers her, she's so used to it. Nicole on the other hand reaches for the mocktail which she previously described as disgusting to wash the bitterness away. Now it was Nicole's turn to sigh as she took notice of her cousin's off behaviour. "Tiff, something's bothering you. What's up?" 

Taking a more comfortable position in the booth, she awaits the other girl's answer.

"I was just thinking...I'm getting too old for all this. This is all I've been doing the past few years, well that and work. What other things do I do that define me?" 

With furrowed brows, Nicole thinks to herself and jokingly replies, "Well, we do brunch often? Uh we're fun wino's?" 

Tiffany almost laughs out loud, almost. Instead she exhales exaggeratedly. "I don't want to be that lonely 30 year old wino at brunch. We're getting there and fast!" 

"I know, don't even remind me about that." 

With a decision in mind, Tiffany looks at Nicole with a determined face and says, "I'm gonna get back to writing music." 

Nicole reels back in surprise as she hears the words come out of the other girl's mouth. "Uh okie?? What do you plan on doing with that?" 

"Well, I'll just take it up as a hobby and maybe do a few pub shows every now and then. It'll be a nice change." 

"Tiff, you literally have not picked up an instrument or a mic in years. Well, if you count the karaoke rooms then you haven't picked one up since last week," Nicole jokes as she takes another shot by herself before nudging Tiffany in a lighthearted manner. "But in all seriousness, do it. I think it would be nice seeing you sing again. It'll take you away from this element of yours during the weekdays at least haha." Nicole gestures to their surroundings and receives a light slap on the arm from Tiffany but the girl appreciates the encouragement. 

"Whatever, thanks though." Tiffany eyes their friends on the dance floor before she grabs Nicole by the hand, pulling her out of the booth and over to the dance floor. "But right now, it's your birthday and we gotta party, birthday girl!" 

 

 

 

The very next day, Tiffany was sitting in her office busily reading documents that have been sent to her. Deciding that looking away from the screen would ease her dry eyes up, she turns away and looks out at the window behind her. She was on the quiet 23rd floor of a busy office building in the middle of Downtown Seoul and its not often she even gets to admire the gracious view of the Han River that her office has to offer. Turning back around, she reaches for her purse under her desk and searches for her visine so her eyes can

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter