Valorous Sacrifice

Eternal Valor

 

Obscurity consumed Haven, the once bright world turned eerily dark, and thunder and lightning took over the darkening sky. The Angels gathered in front of the white Mansion, waiting for the Demons to answer to the cries of the sky. Donghae stared at his brother with wide eyes, “This can’t be happening.” He whispered softly, his voice shaking in fear while he silently listened to what was happening outside.

            Leeteuk made his way in front of the Angels and glared at the Demons that appeared feet in front of them, “Heechul, I can’t say that I’m pleased to see you considering the situation.” He spoke calmly and then slowly smiled widely, “My son is unable to partake in the war because of certain accusations that are strong enough to have him behind bars for life.”

            The Demon’s black eyes turned yellow as he glared at the Angel; a small smirk spread across his lips, “Really, Leeteuk? Is that so? A war without the Angel prodigy…” He looked down at the gathering Demons around his legs, “Sounds like an advantage don’t you think.” He looked to the side and stared at Hyukjae, “Find him.” He ordered, and as soon as a few Demons began disappearing Leeteuk unsheathed his sword and swung it at the Demon, but Heechul effortlessly dodged the attack; it was a sign that initiated the battle. The creatures pounced one another viciously and showed no mercy while attacking each other.

            Donghae shuts his eyes tightly and held SungMin’s hand tighter as Demons appeared inside of the room, “SungMin,” he whispered and gently nudged the Angel’s fingers, “Make sure to protect your wings at all costs.” he stared at the menacing creatures and slowly stood up while Sungmin remained sitting on the floor with a hopeless attitude.          

            The Demons took a step towards them and one of them spoke, “We could get rid of him so easily.” He laughed, “He doesn’t look challenging at all.” He stared at his claws and slowly moved them around to taunt Donghae, “I’m  going to enjoy this.” He hissed.

            Donghae stared at him and took a deep breath, “Do your worst.” he challenged and quickly backed away when they approached him. The Demons smirked viciously, but strong flames quickly consumed them and vanished in an instance. Donghae gasped, and watched as the flames disappeared before his eyes. Hyukjae took a step forward and stared at Donghae, “I forgot to teach you that. You can teleport anyone you want wherever you please if you have enough control over your element.” He smiled at the Angel, feeling relieved that he was safe and unscathed.

            Donghae’s smile slowly grew as he stared at Hyukjae, “Hyukkie.” He whispered under his breath with a bright smile. Hyukjae placed his hands on the cell’s bars and whispered, “Take a step back.” The Angel obeyed with a small nod and watched as the flames made the bars melt into nothing. Once the barrier was out of the way, Hyukjae and Donghae quickly held each other tightly.

            Hyukjae pulled away a bit and clashed his lips against Donghae’s thinking this was their last moment together. Donghae wrapped his arms tighter around him and deepened the kiss slowly

            SungMin leaned against the wall and watched them with curious eyes, but he felt embarrassed when they embraced each other lovingly so he looked down at his feet instead.

            “I need you to hide, Donghae.” Hyukjae cupped his cheeks and stared into his eyes. He was afraid they didn’t have much time together so without wasting another minute he leaned down and kissed his favorite lips once again. Donghae panicked with the thought of losing Hyukjae, so he attempted to hold him, but Hyukjae pulled away, “I never thought I would have to say goodbye to you.” He closed his eyes and shook his head slowly.

            Donghae sniffled, feeling tears threatening to fall, “Then don’t.” he whispered softly, and quickly pecked the Demon’s lips sweetly. “Don’t say that, Hyukkie. We’ll find a way.”

            “Can I suggest overthrowing the leaders?” SungMin spoke up and they both turned to look at him, “but for that to happen…you’d have to kill them.” The high pitched screams coming from outside suddenly grew louder. “I don’t think we have many other choices.” He whispered.

            Donghae’s eyes widened in horror, “I can’t do that to Leeteuk.” He shook his head quickly and refused to even think of the idea. 

            Hyukjae placed his hands on Donghae’s shoulders and stared into his eyes, “I need you to promise me something. I need you to promise me that you won’t make your wings appear tonight. You’d give Heechul an advantage to easily get rid of you, so promise me that you won’t.”

            Donghae nodded and whispered, “I promise.” He pecked Hyukjae’s lips and they were gone from the room and in front of the white Mansion. Donghae’s eyes widened as he stared at all of the dead bodies, and then at all of the fighting angels and demons. They either stabbed each other with their swords or ripped their enemies’ wings apart viciously.

            “I can’t do this.” He shook his head, “I don’t like violence, Hyukjae.” He was shaking, panicking from the fear of having to kill someone. He cried softly and scanned around the area for his father, and soon he found them; Heechul and Leeteuk were fighting at the edge of the cliff. At the bottom of the cliff, the ocean was slamming against the rocks.

            Hyukjae held Donghae tightly and kissed his head, “Then don’t fight. Leave it all to me.” He slowly released him when a Demon appeared in front of them; his glowing yellow eyes were focused only on Donghae. Hyukjae pushed the Angel behind him and took a step towards the Demon with a small smile; his eyes dark eyes shone a bright yellow as his hands became surrounded by flames. The Demon’s screech echoed around the world.

            Everything turned into a blur for Donghae. Demons would lunge towards him, but they disappeared before they could lay a finger on him. He gasped softly when Heechul appeared in front of him, “I knew he couldn’t do it.” He growled and glared into Donghae’s eyes. Donghae’s eyes widened as he stared at Heechul with fear in his eyes.

            “DONGHAE!!!” SungMin shrieked while trying to get away from the Demon’s that pinned him to the ground. He struggled against them and gasped loudly when a sword pierced through every single one of them; they fell dead. He looked up and his eyes met the Demon’s eyes that saved him. “Wha-What the…”

            “You’re Donghae’s brother, aren’t you?” KyuHyun stared at the Angel with a soft smile.

            SungMin gulped and nodded before slowly standing, “I don’t understand why you saved me. Aren’t you supposed to kill me?” he frowned.

            “I owe it to your brother.” He said simply and disappeared shortly, but once he was gone he was surrounded yet again.

            Donghae leaped into the air, water surrounded his arms and he concentrated on the Demon’s around SungMin. He flung his arms to the sides and watched as the water mimicked his movements and wiped away the Demons instantly.

            Heechul slowly formed a bow and arrow with fire, and aimed it towards the Angel; he fired the weapon and watched as the arrow pierced Donghae’s side. He screamed and fell to the ground while whimpering in pain. He held his bleeding side and bit his lower lip to stop himself from screaming.

Heechul pressed his foot on Donghae’s neck and watched him writhe in pain with a sly smile. He pointed his sword on the Angel’s head and spoke loudly, “I need to make it painful in order to feel good about myself.” He smirked and pushed his foot down harder on Donghae’s neck-making the angel cry loudly. “Make your wings appear, so that it can hurt as much as possible.” He almost laughed.

            Donghae tried to shake his head, “I-I can’t.” he struggled to speak. Tears welled into his eyes.

            “If you don’t die, Hyukjae will. Do you want that?” he taunted, “What kind of Angel would allow someone else to die when they clearly can? What exactly are you good for? Obviously not fighting-”

            “Stop, please. I-I promised Hyukjae.” He whispered, “Just kill me and get it over with already but I can’t make my wings appear.” He sniffled and stared into the Demon’s glowing eyes.

            As soon as he saw Heechul attack Donghae, Hyukjae teleported at the top of the cliff. He stared at Leeteuk and said, “Kill me,” he demanded. “Only one of us can live and I’d rather it be him. He deserves to live, not me.” 

            Leeteuk laughed lightly, “It actually sounds like you sort of care for Donghae.” He rolled his eyes, “I want this to be as painful as possible.” He took a step towards Hyukjae and smirked when the Demon was getting closer to the edge of the cliff. 

            Hyukjae took a deep breath, “I’ll make this very easy on you.” He stared at him and slowly his black wings appeared, but he looked to the side and watched Heechul raise his sword into the air, getting ready to pierce Donghae’s head with it. Hyukjae raised his palm and slowly fire formed a barrier around Donghae.

            Donghae gasped and stared at the flames surrounding him.

            Heechul couldn’t get his sword through it, and he screeched from how frustrated he was. “Damn it!!!” he screamed and looked behind him. His eyes widened when he watched Leeteuk bring his sword back as he stared at the Demon’s wings.

            Before Heechul could utter a sound, Donghae sat up and cried out, “NO, Hyukjae!!” tears spilled from his eyes as he tried to form a barrier around Hyukjae but he was too late.

            The sword sliced through the wings making them fall to the ground as blood spilled with them. Everyone froze. Hyukjae couldn’t cry out it pain, it was so powerful that it numbed him instantly. He took a step back and fell down the cliff and into the ocean. Donghae made his wings appear and he swiftly flew towards the water, he dove in and felt his heart racing as the cold water hit his skin. He swam deeper, wrapped his hands around the Demon’s arms and pulled him out of the water. He wrapped his arms around his waist and slowly flew to the ground; he sets Hyukjae down and cried gently while staring into his eyes; he sat on his knees. “I-I can save you.” He cried out while pressing his hands on the Demon’s chest and forcing water to surround his back to force the bleeding to stop.

            Hyukjae shook his head, he didn’t feel anything anymore. He was weak, but he forced himself to speak, “I love you.” He whispered with a small smile, “You deserve to live Donghae. Not me.”

            Tears spilled from the Angel’s eyes and they fell on the Demon’s chest, “N-No. You deserve it just as much as I do Hyukkie.” His vision was becoming blurry, he couldn’t stop crying because he knew his time was limited, “I love you so much.” His voice broke, “Meeting you was the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” He sniffled.

            Hyukjae smiled softly, he lifted his hand and cupped Donghae’s cheek gently, “You saved me…” he couldn’t go on. He breathed heavily and stared into Donghae’s light brown eyes, “Thank you.” He whispered.

            “You deserve a second chance.” Donghae stared into his eyes, lifted his hand and brought it down quickly. He made a barrier around them of water to keep everyone away; he didn’t want anyone to try to stop him.

            “DONGHAE!” Leeteuk yelled, “Don’t you dare.” He threatened softly. Heechul, who was on his knees defeated, glanced at the leader with a frown. He stared at the water that created the barrier.

            Hyukjae coughed, “Wh-What are you…” he stared at Donghae, but his vision was slipping. Donghae lifted Hyukjae’s head and made it rest on his lap while he gently ran his fingers through the Demon’s cheeks.

            Donghae pressed his hands on the Demon’s chest and gripped a bit, “There is so much more to you, Hyukjae. There is so much good in your heart,” his body shook as he cried “I want you to see it too.”

            Hyukjae tried to push Donghae’s hands away from his chest. The position was all too familiar, and he couldn’t allow Donghae to die for him, “Stop, Donghae.” He whispered and groaned in pain. He looked up and met the Angel’s eyes, “Don’t do this.” He spoke softly, “You deserve to live more than I do.”

            Donghae smiled sadly and shook his head, “This war between Angels and Demons will never end unless we both die. I’m willing to sacrifice my life for you because you deserve it more than anything.” His breathing was off as he concentrated on the beating of Hyukjae’s heart; his own heart beat slowed down to match the Demon’s. Hyukjae shook his head and tried to push his hand away. He looked up and his eyes widened when he noticed a small yellow glow coming from Donghae’s chest. His white wings gently flapped around while the Angel smiled gently.

            “Donghae…” Hyukjae’s heart beat increased with the Angel’s, “I love you.” He squeezed the latter’s hand gently.

            Donghae leaned down and kissed his lips one last time, “I love you.” He whispered but he couldn’t sit up all the way anymore. He was growing immensely frail, his limbs were giving out on him along with his heart, but he forced himself to pull through a bit longer. He smiled softly for Hyukjae and felt the Demon’s soul rising. “I’ll see you in another life, love.” he promised with a small smile as tears spilled from his eyes.

            Hyukjae’s body froze as his soul rose from his dying body. The darkened sky cleared up slowly, turning back into the light blue it once was. 

            Donghae breathed heavily, and he cried out in pain as he felt his heart giving out on his body. He smiled gently before he fell on top of the demon’s body. His body died slowly and the barrier of water disappeared.

            SungMin fell to his knees while he stared at his brother’s dead body. He placed his hands to his lips and cried heavily, “Donghae!!!” he screamed and whimpered softly while trying to suppress the pain he felt in his heart. KyuHyun cried softly, so he quickly wrapped his arms around the Angel and held him while they both calmed down.

            Leeteuk approached the bodies and fell to his knees. He pulled Donghae’s body into his arms and shook it, “Donghae?” He shook his head in denial, “No, you can’t-you can’t die.” He cried and embraced Donghae tightly.

            Heechul kneeled beside Hyukjae’s body and remained quiet, “Your son’s following my son…”

            Leeteuk stared at him, “Sacrificing his life for that filthy demon won’t give him a second chance.”

            “It will if it benefits both worlds…and I think it does.” Heechul looked up and smiled a bit, “Look.” He pointed and they all looked up at the two glowing lights that quickly disappeared, “His soul is following Hyukjae’s soul.”

            Leeteuk stared at his son’s features and gently ran his fingers through his hair, “Don’t go.” He whispered, and cried while holding his son tightly in his arms, “Don’t leave me, Donghae.” He pleaded.

            SungMin and KyuHyun approached them hesitantly, “We should bury them together.” SungMin suggested in a small voice and buried his face in KyuHyun’s chest while he continued to cry for his brother.

            Leeteuk nodded, “Plan the funeral arrangements.” He whispered and pecked Donghae’s head.

            “I’ll take care of that.” KyuHyun spoke up and looked up at the sky. He smiled a bit, “Don’t worry SungMin, I’m sure that wherever they go they’ll find each other once again.” He hugged SungMin tightly and they walked away to prepare the caskets.

            The remaining Angels and Demons gathered around and watched in a solemn silence as KyuHyun and SungMin grabbed shovels and dug them into the ground, and didn’t stop digging until the holes were deep enough for the prodigies. “I think this calls for a truce.” Heechul was the first to speak. They watched as KyuHyun lowered the caskets into the ground gently, “Can’t you feel the difference in the air? I have a feeling your son was right when he said the war would only end if they both died.”

            Leeteuk watched the holes being covered as he spoke, “I won’t let my son die in vain.” He turned and stuck out his hand, “Truce.” He smiled when the Demon leader shook it without hesitation.

            Sungmin and KyuHyun exchanged small smiles while setting flowers down on the tombs, “I wonder what Donghae will be like as a human.” He spoke softly and looked at KyuHyun, “I’m sure he’ll be as kind as always.” He beamed, but blushed when he noticed KyuHyun was sitting really close to him.

            “I think they’ll be fine.” They sat near the tombs, and the Demon looked up at the light blue sky. He rested his head on Sungmin’s shoulder and remained silent while he watched the tombs. 

 

            Miles away from home, in the planet Earth both souls went their separate ways and landed in different hospitals. Two baby boys were born at the same time, but in completely different cities. One of the babies was born in Seoul and the other was born in Mokpo.