Revealed

Lovely Balcony

“You are such a !” Gyuri accused the younger girl.

Yeunja sighed as she turned to face the girl, her expression a clear sign that she wasn’t the least bit amused. The girl stood a couple of inches taller than her but it didn’t affect her in the slightest. She wondered why Gyuri stopped harassing her suddenly but it looks like she was only biding her time.

“Yeunja, be careful,” the junior heard one of her friends, Hyuna, say to her, grabbing her bag to keep her from moving forward.

“Don’t worry,” she answered back, not turning to look at her, as she continued to give the girl before her the same bored stare.

“He has a girlfriend and you’re still clinging onto him. It’s pathetic. Are you that desperate? I bet you’ve already offered yourself to him and that’s why he’s keeping you around.”

Her expression didn’t really change except for the smirk that involuntarily found its way to her lips, it was astounding how much she resembled her brother then, “So that’s why Doojoon is keeping you around...”

Dojoon was a senior. Yeunja thought he was interested in her and the dark haired girl liked him as well, it wasn’t a big secret to her friends. His group of friends was similar to Hoya’s. He suddenly stopped talking to her about a week back and saw him with her, a little too cozy for her liking. Her stomach sunk a little at the realization.

“That makes sense now. But you can think what you want about me. You’re not nearly important enough for me to care,” she gave her a smile, “Now if you’ll excuse me, those guys over there? Yeah, they’re waiting for me, bye!”

She barely her heels when she felt her long black hair get pulled back forcefully, making her let out a slight yelp in pain.

“Yeunja!” her friends yelled in alarm.

There was another girl with Hyuna, her name was Gayoon, who stepped forward to try and help, but she stopped when she saw three more girls step forward behind Gyuri, their presence being enough to tell her to stay out of it.

“You’ll go when I say you can go,” Gyuri gritted out before turning her around forcefully by the same hair she held in her hand, letting go when her attention was on her.

Yeunja was in slight shock as her hand went to soothe the abused area of her scalp. Her expression changed quickly. She was seething. She removed her backpack before tossing it to Hyuna.

“I don’t have time for your ,” was her only warning before a full, unobstructed punch sent Gyuri to the floor. She hissed when she felt the pain erupt on her hand, cradling her clenched hand for a second before turning around, getting her bag back.

“Let’s go,” she told them as she turned towards the direction of her ride.

The crowd practically parted for her, amazed that the studious, intelligent, cheerful girl could actually knock down the most popular girl in school with a single hit. She was surprised when she was ambushed by her brother as soon as she was in sight.

“What happened?” he asked as he tried to look over the many heads behind her. He noted her two friends standing there but they quickly bowed and excused themselves, whispering to Yeunja that they’d talk to her later. The little path closed off and he couldn’t see what was going on behind it.

“Nothing, we should get going,” she said as she pressed her right hand against her body. The pulsing in her right hand was painful and she regretted using all her force to throw the punch.

“What’s wrong with your hand?” Woohyun asked when they reached her. It didn’t take him long to be sure of what it was that happened.

“Why didn’t you say it would hurt this much, Woohyun?” she asked, giving him a quick glare as she flexed her fingers.

He laughed as they made their way back to the bikes, “A half-assed punch would have done nothing.”

“Punch…?” Sunggyu asked, shocked.

“She really asked fo it,” the girl explained simply, studying her knuckles that were turning red before looking up, a smile on her lips, “Let’s go, I’d rather not fend off all her friends, you know?”

There was no argument that he could make with that, so he pulled her along instead, “Hurry up. Mom and Dad are gonna be so mad when they find out!” he said, mostly to himself. He couldn’t stop the praises his friends kept giving her and all the high-fives she kept getting from Woohyun.

“You are officially my sister, if you need me for anything, just let me know,” Woohyun said, half-jokingly, making the rest of the guys laugh.

“Hurry up! You can celebrate at home!” Sunggyu urged.

“Alright, alright,” Woohyun agreed as he quickly turned his bike on, Myungsoo doing the same.

They took off almost instantly. Sunggyu didn’t wait as he quickly began to walk home, his two friends behind him.

“Listen guys, I don’t think it’s a good idea to come over today. If the school calls home… I don’t want anyone to hear it...”

Dongwoo pouted. He wanted to know all the dirty details about the ordeal but he understood what Sunggyu was saying. He would find out later anyway. He relented, Hoya following along.

He tried to think of some sort of excuse, anything to try and make the situation not sound as bad as his parents may picture it on his way home. However, he drew a blank as he finally reached his house. Woohyun and Myungsoo were sitting outside on their porch, probably waiting for everyone to get there. He could see Woohyun crane his neck to see if there really was nobody with him. The red head simply shook his head as he headed up the path to his own house. The only thing that was left to do was to wait with bated breath.

 

 

“Sunggyu~!” His older sister, Haneul, sang as she knocked on the door to his room, “I know you’re available right now~,” she continued.

She opened the door to see her brother laying back against his bed, propped up by numerous pillows and his phone in hand. He spared her a glance before asking what she wanted.

“Oh, you know… my assessment is next week and since you don’t have any friends over today… Could I borrow you?” She asked, trying to sound as friendly and normal as possible.

Sunggyu didn’t lift his gaze from his screen as he swiped at it quickly. He was probably typing a text message, “…When do I ever have a choice…?”

She simply smiled at her brother and placed the desk chair in front of the vanity mirror in his room, “You’re a life saver, brother dearest.”

A few minutes later and he was sitting on the chair with his sister scrutinizing his appearance. She was staring intently at a particular spot on his face. Sunggyu pulled away from her, she was too close. She then poked his jaw and he winced in pain.

“That’s a pimple…,” she sighed, “Maybe we should pick up that routine for your skin again. I can take some of it from school if you want.”

“Sure,” he replied.

“…Are you stressing?” she asked, a little worried at his lack of response, “Does it have to do with Yeunja?”

Sunggyu made sure to fill his sister in on what happened the week before and she was worrying as well. He stared back at her, unsure of what to answer. He didn’t want to give anything away if she didn’t know what was going on. He wanted to keep it a secret, at least until everything blew over.

“What’s wrong? You two have been on edge all afternoon. Why?” she looked through her things to begin applying the make-up, “You didn’t kill anyone, did you?” she joked.

“…Don’t tell anyone, okay?” he said, trying to make sure that she wouldn’t accidentally make a comment to anyone about it.

“Yeah, okay, what?”

He proceeded to relay Yeunja’s adventure. He got the full story from her after getting home and pulling her into his room. He was really worried but once his sister assured him that there wasn’t a scratch on her except for the dull throb in her hand, he was relieved. He was also annoyed at the fact that he couldn’t be mad at Woohyun for teaching her how to throw a proper punch. It came in handy.

“Don’t you think Woohyun deserves some kind of reward?” Haneul asked as she gave Sunggyu the last touches of blush.

“No,” he said simply.

“Oh, come on. You should at least let him get a glance at you again! He’s completely taken by our big sis Aecha!” she teased as she allowed him to examine his appearance in the mirror.

He wasn’t sure what kind of technique she used but he was surprised at how slim his face looked. His face was round, his cheeks somehow still full with baby fat, so it was new seeing it so different.

There was a sudden movement by the door and they both glanced towards it. The gasps and expressions of shock that graced their features matched almost exactly as they caught sight of the culprit through the mirror. It was Nam Woohyun.

It was shock that the junior felt when he saw the pretty face gazing back at him. It’s her! Were his initial thoughts, until he realized that she was wearing Sunggyu’s clothes. And then he realized it wasn’t even a she to begin with. It was Sunggyu. He didn’t give them a chance to say anything as he turned back around and practically flew out of the house.

 

 

Sunggyu was sitting against the bed again later that night, only this time he held a pillow between his arms and was listening to some music. The soothing voice of his favorite singer filling his hearing as he silently sang along. It was safe to say that he was a little depressed and too much of a coward to even consider texting Woohyun. Dinner was over two hours ago and he was sitting in the dark for just as long. He didn’t even text Dongwoo. He was just worried over what would become of his and Woohyun’s friendship. He didn’t realize he was dozing off until his phone vibrated against his chest, alerting him of a new text message.

His eyes widened slightly. It was Woohyun.

Hyun
So… interesting hobby you have

Sunggyu nearly face-palmed but he resisted the urge as he answered, It’s not a hobby…

A few seconds and a new message came in, Lifestyle…?

Sunggyu
No! I told you once that my sister was evil
I wasn’t kidding

He could only imagine what kind of answer he’d get after that.

Hyun
I didn’t think you were serious! D:

Hyun
But you’d make a pretty handsome girl hahaha

Sunggyu glared at the screen for a second before a smirk crossed his lips, Apparently, since you kept thinking I was my sister. But I’m not taking any suitors right now. Hahahaha

There was a long wait between the next message and the red head wondered if the other was in too much of a shock.

Hyun
WHAT?!!

The senior giggled at the response and took his headphones off, stopping the music soon after.

Hyun
THAT WAS YOU?

Hyun
HOLY

Hyun
You actually look like a girl…

‘Is she prettier than Aecha? No one can beat her, right? She’s the prettiest you’ve ever seen, isn’t she?’ He hated the fact that Woohyun’s reaction to those questions flattered him more than he cared to admit. It was probably the only time he’d ever see Woohyun be flustered over him. He stood from his bed and headed towards the balcony, suddenly wanting to see the few stars that the night sky offered to him.

Hyun
You’d totally be my type if you were a girl

Sunggyu rolled his eyes, failing to keep his heart from skipping a beat, Shut up before I offer you up as the next sacrifice.

He leaned against his door, staring up at the sky. He could hear crickets and cicadas, the usual sounds of a summer night reaching him.

Hyun
You wouldn’t…!

Sunggyu
I WOULD

There was a long pause and the red head thought that the junior forgot he was texting him. But he didn’t really care. He was just glad Woohyun was talking to him. He felt like the incident from earlier never happened. He was completely unaware of the younger male that was watching him from the front porch of his house.

There was a certain charm Kim Sunggyu possessed that Woohyun slowly started to discover over their friendship. It seemed a lot more clearer at that moment.

You really are pretty…, the junior tapped the send button and waited for the other’s reaction.

A big smile graced Sunggyu’s features as he read the message. Everything suddenly seemed just a tad bit brighter.

 

 

Dubu
My cousin is over. He’s been asking for you since yesterday

Sunggyu
He’s already here?

Dubu
Yeah. He didn’t tell you?

Sunggyu
He kinda mentioned it
but why is he asking?

Dubu
idk
You should come over if you’re not busy

Sunggyu
Okay sure
I’ll let you know later, okay?

Dubu
Sure thing