Chapter Two

A Sense of Normalcy

After his first class with Amelia, he had attended his Math class with a newfound hope that his school experience would be fairly ordinary, only to find that there were a few of his fans in that class.

He had recognized one of the girls as soon as he walked into the class because she had shown up at every Korean function of SHINee’s since the beginning of the year before. She seemed nice enough when he had talked to her at fan-meetings before, but he had always been with the other members. Sometimes when you were alone, the fans’ attitudes could do a complete 360.

He took a deep breath and continued into the class, sitting at the back of the room in order to avoid his classmate’s taking notice of him. He had just begun to pull his spiral and the pen Amelia had given him out of his bag, when he heard a loud gasp. He looked up and met eyes with the fan he had been trying to avoid. The girl was staring with a hand clasped over . She got up from her seat, her friends following behind her.

“Minho Oppa! I didn’t know you would be here!” She exclaimed, drawing all of the attention to him in the quiet assembly hall. The room became deadly quiet.

He sighed inwardly and plastered a smile onto his face. “Yeah, I’ve had a bit of free time lately, and I thought I should be more productive with my time.”

One of the girl’s friends spoke up, “You should be resting! We know how hard you work and it’s not healthy for you to tire yourself out!”

He shook his head and smiled to ease the girl’s fears, “No, I’m fine. I’ve just been kind of bored lately.”

Before one of the girls could reply, a boy on the other side of the room spun around in his chair, scowling at them as he began to speak his mind, “You shouldn’t go to a university just because you’re ‘bored’. Most people are here to actually get an education. Most people have to actually work hard and don’t get to just sing in front of people all day. Most people actually have to take the exam to get in to this university.”

One of the girls gasped and pointed a finger at the boy, ready to defend Minho. “He is working hard! He works harder than you ever have!”

Another boy close to Minho chuckled. “Tch. Yeah, right.” He turned to Minho, smirking as he continued, “What’d you do to get into this university? Did you pay off the Dean? Sleep with his daughter? There’s no way someone like you actually took the exam to get in.” The room filled with the mocking laughter of the students.

From there, everything was a blur. His fans went crazy after that, yelling at the boys. While he was thankful toward them for defending him in such a way, he wished that they would have just left it alone. They weren’t doing any good; they were only making things worse by proving their adversaries’ points.

Finally, the professor arrived, yelling in attempt to calm the student down, but his efforts were futile. Minho sighed, gathering his things and slinked out of the room silently. He decided to make his way down to the registrar’s office to change his schedule. Obviously that class wasn’t going to work out. After all, matters would only get worse as time went on. He left the building, making his way down to the administration building.

He ran his hand though his hair and sighed, shaking his head in an attempt to clear his mind. He wasn’t angry about what those people had said about him, simply frustrated. He had taken the test just like everyone else. He had even made a really high score! He wasn’t bored; he had just said that because that seemed like the best way to answer the girls. What was he supposed to say? ‘Yeah, I’m going to get a degree because there’s no telling when I’m going to get fired’?! Yeah, it’d be nice to see that in the tabloids.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard his name being yelled. He ducked his head down and began to walk faster. ‘Oh God, what now?!’

He heard quick footsteps getting closer and closer to him. Then a hand landed on his shoulder. He turned to look at whoever it was, facial features immediately softening when he realized who it was. He breathed a sigh of relief, “Oh, sorry. I didn’t know that was you.”

Amelia laughed and smiled brightly at him, “Who did you think I was?” She gasped dramatically and smirked at him, “Do you have a crazy ex-girlfriend who moonlights as a stalker?!”

He chuckled, “Nope. No girlfriend.” ‘Wish I could say the same thing about the stalker though.’

She smiled, “I wouldn’t go spreading that kind of information around, you know. A guy like you would get snatched up in a minute.”

Minho blushed, turning away from her a bit. She cleared , “Sorry, I don’t think about what I’m going to say before I say it.”

He shook his head, “It’s fine. Besides, I kind of needed an ego boost.”

“Glad I could help. Where are you going by the way?”

He sighed, reliving the incident in his math class. “Well, I was actually going to the registrar’s office to see if I could transfer into another math class.”

“Ah, ok. What’s the matter? Is the professor being an already?”

He glanced over at her in mild shock, unused to girls using such language but nevertheless laughed and shook his head. “No, it’s nothing like that. It’s just not going to work out very well.”

“I see.”

They fell into a comfortable silence and continued to walk toward the building. Finally, Amelia spoke again, “I hate to ask you this, but do you think you could show me around some? I wouldn’t normally ask, but I don’t know anyone else besides my roommate and she doesn’t like me very much. I’m here for a year and I need to figure out how I’m going to feed myself since I didn’t get a meal plan.”

He weighed his options, and then decided that he couldn’t see the harm in it. Besides, he had to help her, right?

Sorry the last chapter and this one is so boring! I need to introduce characters and things so that’s always boring lol. The next chapter will be fluffy and adorbs I promise! And it shouldn’t take me as long… Sorry, I’m not adjusting well to being an adult J

What do you think is going to happen in the next chapter? I’m curious to see your predictions lol