The dark pups

Canis Lupus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It had been almost two days since Whiny was thrown in that pit along with Zelo and since then no one threw anything for the pups to eat. At first Whiny was crying loudly, calling for anyone who could feed him, but now he was just laying by Zelo’s side quietly.

He looked sick and almost dehydrated, and Zelo couldn’t be considered much better himself. At some point a man looked down on the pit and Zelo was quick to beg him.

-Sir, please, we’re hungry. – He said, sounding even more desperate than he intended to.

-Hungry? – The man asked and Zelo nodded. – Alright…

He was gone for just a second and then he appeared on the edge of the pit again.

-Eat this. – The man laughed, throwing something else into the hole.

It was a cub.

Zelo approached, trying to check if the grey puppy was hurt, but he realized the other was way too quiet for such a young cub.

-Oh my God Whiny, he’s dead! – He gasped, taking the little white pup in his arms and recoiling to near the wall. He covered the smaller’s eyes with his hand and he heard a rougher voice coming from outside.

-Stop messing with the pups, that kid isn't dead. – A stronger man said and the other nodded.

-Sorry, Kangin hyung. – The first man said. – I’ll go help Sungmin hyung in the shelter.

-You better. – The other said, seeming quite angry.

He checked the pups down there and then he threw a gourd into the pit and Zelo tilted his head on him.

-There’s milk inside. – He said a little more softly. –But this is for the pup, don’t you dare drink from it.

Zelo nodded, pulling the cork with his skinny fingers. It wouldn’t open, however, and Kangin frowned at the boy.

-What’s taking you so long?

-It’s stuck! – Zelo answered angrily. It wasn’t his fault that the cork was jammed there.

Kangin snorted and urged the boy to hurry again. When Zelo was finally able to open the gourd he wrinkled his nose.

It wasn’t goat or cow milk, but a thicker, more concentrated milk that was even whiter than normal milk.

He offered it to Whiny, but the pup twisted his little snout disapprovingly.

-Give it to him! – Kangin ordered.

-I’m trying to, but he doesn’t like this weird milk! – Zelo shouted back.

-It’s buffalo milk, it’s stronger, for him to grow stronger as well.

-Alright, alright, just give me some minutes. – Zelo told him.

Kangin scowled again. He had other places to be and he couldn’t believe he had to stay there and serve as a supervisor for those pups.

-Come on Whiny… - Zelo pulled the little wolf by his nape and the pup groaned softly.

He was too hungry, so he decided to give the thick substance a . After the first try, however, Whiny started drinking nonstop. The buffalo milk was sweeter than goat milk, and the pup found it to be delicious.

After he was finished, Zelo waved the empty gourd to Kangin, who nodded satisfied.

-I’ll bring you something to eat later. – He promised and then turned his back on them and went away.

 

><><><><><>< 

 

Night came and Zelo couldn’t take his eyes away from the passed out pup in front of him. They fed him meat and a bit of water, but Zelo was almost throwing it all up, just to imagine what could have happened to that pup.

And the worse was knowing that they could be next…

Whiny was sleeping by his side, but Zelo couldn’t close his eyes yet. He couldn’t see it, but he felt the light smell of smoke and he already cringed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter