Bridezilla

Bridezilla

       It was a week from the wedding. Kyungsoo had planned everything down to the last detail. The invitations were sent out a month ago and the ‘save the date cards’ three months before that. His parents were flying into town two days after and Minseok’s parents were to arrive the following day. He had spent every waking hour fussing over the tiniest details. Forcing Minseok and Baekhyun, his dear friend slash “made” of honor slash unofficial wedding planner, to devote their lives as well. Minseok didn’t really have any desire to be near Kyungsoo at the time though for he was what one would call a bridezilla.

       The man never ever stopped to think about anything but the damn wedding and Minseok was pretty much fed up with it. Everything was put on hold for this wedding; including their relationship. Hugs and kisses were no more, dates were history and was never on the table, much less even in Kyungsoo’s pantry to be thought of. All that mattered was the damn wedding; never mind the person you’re marrying.

       So it was safe to say that Minseok woke up in the morning got dressed and left the house to go to work. In the evening he went and hung out with Jongdae, his brother, Joonmyun, his best man, and Chanyeol, his best man’s boyfriend. At night he would come home shower and go to bed with his back to Kyungsoo. And it stayed that way since two months to the wedding.

       When Minseok came home that day, around 10:30, he wasn’t expecting to see Kyungsoo in the kitchen and very much awake. He had hardly spoken to his fiancé for two months, their longest conversation being over where they should put the cake: “Where do you think it should go?” “Where ever you want babe.” So he was planning to just leave the Bridezilla sitting at the table staring blankly at a bouquet of lilies, but something in those big eyes told him he should see what was up.

       “Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked calmly sitting in the chair across from him, using the flowers as a small shield in case the younger blew up at him.

       “Nothing really. Just staring at some orange flowers. Orange,” he stated, face to stiff and eyes burning.

       “Were they not meant to be orange?” Minseok cautiously questioned, slightly poking his head out to the side of the flowers to see Kyungsoo’s eyes squinting to a normal size.

       “No, peach. They were meant to be peach.” And with that Minseok just let out a sigh, stood up and pushed in his chair, heading for the door. Not looking back at Kyungsoo, not saying a word, just leaving the bridezilla before he started one of his tantrums again.

       Surprised to hear that no yelling or stomping or banging around or glass breaking or harsh muttering was taking place when he stepped out of the shower he decided to throw on some sweats and head downstairs to make sure Kyungsoo hadn’t killed himself with how quiet it was. Popping his head into the doorway he stood shocked to find the bridezilla sitting in the same position as before, eyes still squinted.

       “I know I’ve been awful,” Kyungsoo started, sensing the other’s presence, “I’ve been more than awful. I’ve become the stereotypical bride marrying their wedding instead of their groom. I really do understand why you don’t want to be near me, why you call me bridezilla and why you’re questioning marrying me because if this is how I am then you don’t want me. I get it and I’m sorry. I’ve been so horrible and mean, that Tao even called me a today, then he just stormed out of the fitting and all I could think was ‘wow I made Tao cuss, I made Baekhyun cry and I’ve made my own fiancé, the person I love the most in the world, hate me. What kind of person does that?”

       Minseok was a little taken aback not expecting Kyungsoo to come out and apologize for acting like a so suddenly. He just stood there for a second staring at the side of Kyungsoo’s face and body, taking in everything that he hadn’t really paid attention to. Kyungsoo’s lips had paled and cracked. His skin whiter and almost sheer from being stretched over bones that weren’t always so prominent. His usual pink cheeks were sunken and drained. His clothes hanging looser over his torso. He looked frail and brittle, and Minseok felt absolutely wretched for ignoring and avoiding him. He let the man he loved become this weak, exhausted soul that was nothing like the sweet and doe eyed person he fell in love with eleven months ago. He quite literally turned his back on someone who probably just needed some support. What kind of person does that?

       Walking over to Kyungsoo he leaned down and picked the fragile man up into his arms, frame so light, and sat back down in the chair his fiancé now in his lap.

       “Shhh, it’s okay. I know you’ve been under a lot of pressure,” he started, running fingers through the now crying man’s hair, “I forgive you. I’m also sorry, I left you when you needed me most, so I think we’re even.”

       Kyungsoo was crying even harder now tears seeping into Minseok’s shirt, daft fingers curling wrinkles into the fabric.

       “I thought you hated me,” words almost lost through the sobs.

       “I could never hate you; I proposed to you didn’t I? I was just frustrated, but I still shouldn’t have ignored you,” Minseok whispered into his hair, lips brushing over Kyungsoo’s temple as he spoke, “But I’m here now; how can I help?”

       Kyungsoo finally stopped crying, only choked hiccups remaining as he wiped his face on Minseok’s shirt.

       “Can get me some chocolate ice cream?” he requested eyes once again all big as they looked up at Minseok.

       “Do we have any in the freezer?” he asked standing up and placing Kyungsoo back into the chair.

       “No.”

       Minseok just sighed and then laughed, “Alright all go get you ice cream.”

       “And cherries?”

       “And cherries,” Minseok agreed, walking to the front door, slipping on his shoes and sweater.

       “Hey!” Kyungsoo called leaning against the left wall of the front hall, a small smile on his face and a light blush on the tops of his cheeks, “The orange is kind of pretty don’t you think?”

       “Yeah, it is,” Minseok grinned taking three steps forward to wrap his arms around his Bridezilla squishing the giggling man to his chest, kissing his lips, “Maybe I’ll get you some ChapStick too.”