Chapter 1

The Exchange Student

 

The girl was back, she'd been into the bar every evening for the past two weeks at exactly the same time, sat on the same piano stool and placed long slender fingers onto the keys making the instrument in front of her hum in an unrestrained melody of such beauty that it made Lay's heart thump dangerously hard.

 

She never looked around, never spoke to anyone but the manager and then it was just a simple nod to acknowledge his presence. Lay was fairly certain she didn't work here, and she definitely wasn't from Beijing. Even in the semi gloom of the bar you could tell that she wasn't Chinese. Or Asian of any descent, her skin was as pale as the moon outside, hair the colour of amber and eyes that sparkled green as gems. She was western he guessed, but from which country he had no clue.

 

He remembered the first time he'd seen her, he came to the club in Beijing at nights some times to sit and think. Listen to the live piano music the club always played and to hide from the often chaotic noise and action of the dorm rooms they occupied in the inner city. He loved spending time with the other members of EXO M but sometimes a guy just needed his own space, a bit of time to think that wasn't being crowded by five other hyperactive men. When she had walked into the club that night he hadn't really been paying much attention, it was only when her fingers touched the piano keys that his head jerked towards her, his breath leaving his body not only from the beauty of her face but the way she made the piano sing, bringing to life the melody that she was crafting, the notes sang through Lay's blood stream creating emotions he had never felt before. He had sat enraptured with her the entire time she played and had found himself returning the next night just in case she decided to show up. It had become a routine now, that he would enter the bar fifteen minutes before she did he would sit in the corner booth order a drink and then watch in awe as she played her set. He never worked up the courage to talk to her, and he didn't think he ever would, he was content to simply listen to her play.

 

 

You nodded as usual to the manager who was stood behind the bar as you walked into the club, your eyes flicking to the back corner table where once more the same guy was sat watching you. At first you hadn't noticed much other than the fact that an incredibly handsome guy seemed to be enjoying the music you played, when he came back two nights in a row though, and then three you began to think that either he was an alcoholic, which didn't seem likely considering you had never seen him drink more than the one glass of spirits. Or the other option, he was coming back to listen to your playing.

 

You sat yourself down in front of the piano, gently cracking your fingers out, a horrible habit that you didn't seem to be able to shake off. You placed your hands on the keys and closing your eyes let the music flow from your soul to the keys and out into the room. Letting the people around you feel your emotions from the touches you placed on the appropriate keys.

 

As always your set passed much to quickly and soon you were finished for the night. Closing the lid of the piano you glanced over at the back booth once more, he was still there. His dark eyes focused on you although once he caught your gaze he quickly looked down. His hair falling forward to cover his eyes. He really was attractive you thought, studying the way his jaw shaped down to a strong chin and a full mouth.

 

Suddenly making up your mind you walked over to the table he was sat at standing in front of him “hello” you say softly making him look up.

 

He seemed to be shocked eventually however managing to say “you speak chinese?”

 

You nod “a little”

 

“How?”

 

You smiled “may I sit?”

 

He blushed a bit before nodding and gesturing at the seat opposite him. You slide onto the chair and stare at him with your head slightly cocked to one side. He's younger than you thought, maybe even younger than you, he also looks more familiar now your sat so close to him, maybe you've seen him around campus sometime after all he's young enough to be a student like you. “i'm an exchange student” you explain “I study Chinese at Beida”

 

His eyes widen slightly “beida?” he repeats “clever girl”

 

“You look really familiar” you say, surprised to find his blush deepening further at your words “do I know you from somewhere?” you ask.

 

The man shakes his head “we've never met” he says, such certainty in his voice that you know he must be telling the truth. Even though your sure you've seen his face before “you play beautifully”

 

You smile “thank you”

 

“yet you don't study music”

 

You frown and look down at the table. “my dad taught me” you eventually say, not sure why your telling a complete stranger about your reasons for playing music “it was something we had together”

 

“He must also be very talented”

 

You look up, your face blank once more as you briefly nod your head “he was” you admit making the man frown “was...?”

 

You bite your lip hard refusing to let tears form in your eyes, especially in front of the handsome stranger “my dad died last year”

His face softened as he reached out and you found fingers interlocking with your own, and somehow the comfort of a stranger did something to the ice that had surrounded your heart since your dad had passed away, lightening some of the pain there.

 

“Its why you play so well” he guessed “your playing for him”

 

You don't answer simply pull your hand away from his and get back to your feet. You smile down at him “see you tomorrow” you say softly, he doesn't answer you and you don't wait for a response. Turning and leaving the bar.

 

 

Its early the next evening and your walking to the bar when it happens. You pass a magazine stand on the street and you freeze in shock. Thats why he looked so familiar to you. Grabbing the magazine you hand over some money to the vendor and quickly find a bench pulling open the magazine to the right page. The headline screams out some catchy phrases about the power of singing idols and the thrill of music. What your interested in however is the picture of the man from last night. Lay his name is, and he's a member of the new boy band EXO M. You recognised him because you've seen him on your flat mates computer screen. You've heard some of their music as well.

 

What however is an idol doing sitting in a dark bar every night listening to a English exchange student pour out her grief over her father. Surely he has more important things to take up his time than listening to a stranger moan to him.

 

Sighing you fold up the magazine once more and stuffing it into your pocket you continue onto the bar. When you get there your heart accelerates as your notice that Lay is back, sat in the corner once more. You frown slightly, your jaw clenching as you avoid the piano this time, going over to him straight away. He smiles at you as you take out the magazine and place it down in front of him, pointing to the page where his face is emblazoned. “I knew I recognised you” you accuse, as Lay pales. “what are you doing here?” you ask him.

 

Lay quickly removes the magazine from the table, looking up at you “I enjoy listening to you play”

 

“You could listen to Piano music anywhere” you accuse “yet you've been here every night for the past fortnight. Why?”

 

Lay sighs and pushes out the chair opposite him with his foot “sit down” he says.

 

You hesitate but finally take the chair he offered “your avoiding the question”

 

“Smart girl” he teases “no wonder you got into Beida”

 

“Flattery won't get your anywhere Lay” you tell him “tell me the truth, why here, why are you always here. Always watching me but never talking to me. I don't understand”

 

“I didn't think you would understand” Lay finally says.

 

“Understand what?”

 

“Chinese” Lay answers smiling. “and i'm not good with girls anyhow. I didn't know what to say to you, or how to say anything to you”

 

You nod, looking down at the table briefly before deciding to just go for it “well I do understand” you say looking up at him once more and holding his gaze “i can understand Chinese just fine, so explain it me, explain to me why you seem to find great delight in staring at me, following me with your eyes all night, in comforting a complete stranger but can't tell me who you are. Explain it to me Lay”

 

“I watch you because your incredible” Lay admitted “you play music like each note is torn from your soul, yet you always look so sad, you never talk to anyone yet you come here everyday. When you spoke to me yesterday I thought all my dreams had come true, that you could speak Chinese that I could find out what haunted you and made you always wander through this place like an observer rather than a part of life” he paused before smiling “and I didn't tell you who I am because I didn't want it to influence you”

 

“Influence me how” you ask, unable to express just how touched by his words you are.

 

“I wanted you to talk to me because of me, not just because I'm Lay from EXO M”

 

You could understand that at least. You looked straight into his eyes, holding his gaze for long minutes, seeing nothing but honesty in his eyes. He really did want to get to know you, to find out about you and in his position you could understand why he would be nervous that anyone who found out who he was would only want to talk to him or be close to him because of what he did, not necessarily because of who he was as a person. You take a deep breath before deciding to trust him saying “I'm Jessica” you say. “I'm 22, from England and studying here for a year to complete my degree. I play piano, have a younger sister and older brother. I like jazz and hip hop and my favourite food is duck”

 

Lay grinned holding out his hand you took it and shook it. “I'm Yixing” he said “I'm 21, from Hunan, I also play piano, I have 11 other siblings or members from my group EXO. I love to dance more than anything else in the world”

 

“Nice to meet you Yixing” you say quietly, grinning at him. “I have to play” you admit after finding the manager sending you annoyed glances from behind the bar. You start to stand but Yixing grabs your wrist to stop you leaving.

 

“After you finish... Jessica, would you like to get something to eat, with me?”

 

He looks so nervous that you can't help smiling at him, “I'd like that” you admit.

 

Yixing's face breaks into a large grin, as he lets go of you and you head towards the piano. For the first time almost a year when your fingers touch the piano keys your heart doesn't break and the music that comes out of the instrument isn't haunting and sad, tonight it is hopeful and filled with dreams for the future.