Reduce the Swelling

Swollen Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The tree branches thwacked against the glass windows because of the severe thunderstorm. Loud noises reached her ears from the distance, and when Yuri looked out the window, all she could see was rain and gray skies. The streets were already covered with water and car tires splashed the puddles, soaking the air behind them with mist. Such a gloomy sight.

But for some reason, tears fell down as she stared at the glass window, full of splattered raindrops. And they wouldn't stop. She just kept sobbing until she could barely see with her eyes and her nose was so stuffed she could barely breathe. The hideous memories came back one by one, invading her once calm mind which had turned into a deep pit that was so dark, Yuri didn't know if she could find her way out.

She grabbed a fistful of tissues from the box and rubbed her face dry. Her eyes stung and her nose had become itchy red. Her hand reached out for her phone on the nightstand and she stared at the screen.

Her wallpaper.

 

"Chanyeol! Give me back my phone! NOW!" Yuri chased after the long legged man who smiled deviously.

"I'll give it back...later," Chanyeol scrolled through her phonebook.

Yuri rolled her dark brown eyes and finally reached him. He was leaning against the tree ever so casually as he typed something.

"What are you doing?" She asked curiously.

"We've been hanging out for almost a year and you still don't have my number. That's real nice," Chanyeol said dramatically in a sarcastic tone.

"I just haven't had the time to put it in! I jotted down your number on a post-it note anyway," Yuri defended.

"Hm," was all he responded with.

Yuri waited patiently until he finished up and finally Chanyeol handed back the phone to her. She took it and inspected it carefully. When she hit a button, the screen didn't appear on.

"Why did you turn it off?"

"Look at it when you go home. But not now."

So she did.

 

Her lips didn't even curl up a centimeter. Instead, it just brought uneasiness to her eyes. Chanyeol had taken a photo of himself by that tree as her wallpaper and had added himself to her contacts with the name, "Happy Virus Park Chanyeol". It suited him so she kept it. Little did she know that he couldn't keep her happy forever.

Six years. Six damn long years and then...nothing. He stopped calling. So she stopped seeing him. And all Yuri had was her younger step-sister. The two girls had moved out for almost two years in Seoul. It was then everything became noticeable to Yuri.

She had no one.

Yuri could count all the people that was out of her life now. Her step-sister began to hang out with her friends and then sleep over at their houses, coming home for barely an hour a day. Her parents were hours away. Ever since she started to go to a new school, her old friends had other people to hang out with. Sooyoung stuck to Yoona and Taeyeon, and all three of them didn't come across the thought of inviting Yuri to go shopping or to watch movies.

Her best friend, Tiffany, was too busy with her boyfriend. Not once did Tiffany call her back. Then there's Chanyeol, the one who Yuri relied on, but left in an instant.

Those were the reasons for her tears. She was alone.

 

* * *

 

Yuri walked down the streets as if she was soulless. She instictively went to the places where she was with Chanyeol the most. She couldn't deny it; she wanted someone to talk to. Preferably a happy virus.

Just like the wind, two hours passed. Yuri reached her last destination in her fake itinerary. The tree where Chanyeol took his own photo. The tree that was in her wallpaper. The tree that Chanyeol marked their friendship.

Curious, Yuri observed the bark until she could see the faded out works etched on the wood, still visible to the eye if you looked closely enough.

 

P.C. + K.Y.

 

She scoffed as her hands brushed against the engraved letters. They had marked the tree and the letters would be there forever.

Forever is always a lie.

 

* * *

 

Rainy night again. It brought nightmares this time. Yuri was lying on her bed one moment and the next,  she was falling. She tried to call out for help but no one responded. She then saw Chanyeol. He was standing still, watching her. Yuri kept screaming his name to get his attention, but he ignored her and didn't even acknowledge her existence. So she let go...and fell back into reality.

The sudden shock she felt from waking up made her heart race. She touched her cheeks and found it wet from the tears that had dropped from her eyes.

Yuri lifted herself off the bed and stared at the window, rain harshly hitting against the windowpane and the wind rattled the whole house altogether.

Like always, she didn't even have anyone to talk to, not even her own step-sister, who, as usual, was gone with her friends.

Yuri snatched her phone off the table the moment it buzzed. Please let it be a friend...someone...anyone.

"Hello?" Yuri spoke into the reciever.

"Is this Ms. Kwon Yuri?"

"Yes, this is she."

"Your bills were due last month. Please go pay them or else we'll be forced to take legal action. Thank you," the monotonous voice spoke and before she could even comprehend the situation, the man had already hung up.

I am...alone. Yuri sighed and placed her phone on her bed and shuffled to the door. Her mirror hung on the wall and she saw her ghostly expression. Pale lips. Disheveled hair. Swollen eyes.

Why was she such a mess?

 

* * *

 

It was bright and sunny the next day when Yuri headed to the office for work. She was in her cubicle, organizing the files and starting up her computer when her boss came in and asked for everyone's attention.

"Everyone, I have hired a new employee and I hope you guys will be nice. He's a youngster, so I hope you can take some time and teach him about what we do around here."

The new employee bowed, "Please take care of me."

That voice...

"My name's Park Chanyeol."

.

"Hmm...Kwon Yuri?"

Yuri finally looked up from her desk and felt relieved once she saw it was only her manager. She glanced over to Chanyeol who was busy being greeted by her fellow co-workers to notice her.

"Yes?" She turned back to face her boss.

"You're one of our younger employees, so I think you could connect with him. Show Chanyeol around the building for a little bit."

Yuri was speechless. She wanted to avoid him; it would be too awkward. Hi, um, Chanyeol. Remember me? Kwon Yuri? Your best friend from a year ago? But nevertheless, it was her boss, and he was giving her an order.

"I will," Yuri nodded slowly.

"Good," was all he said and left to go talk to Chanyeol.

She sat still, drowning in her thoughts. The Park Chanyeol was back. The best friend that had deserted her. Her Park Chanyeol. She nibbled on the bottom of her lip nervously, gazing off in a different world. She then snapped back when the chatter grew louder. Yuri decided to wait for him in the hallway and was pacing back and forth as she did so.

"I can't believe it."

It's him.

Yuri slowly turned around, despite what her mind told her not to do. Her eyes met with Chanyeol's, and his mouth turned into a small smile.

"Kwon Yuri...you haven't changed."

"Chanyeol?" Yuri whimpered. She realized how much she missed him, missed talking to someone about...anything.

"What a coincidence, huh? Seeing you here?" His smile grew bigger.

Yuri wanted to throw a thousand questions at him. Why did you leave? Why did you stop calling? Why? How could he keep that smile on his face when I've been faking it for such a long time?

"I'll show you the building now."

Yuri remained professional and introduced him to all the rooms and their functions and all the important people he had to recognize. Chanyeol sometimes randomly shot out unrelated questions like, "How have you b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter