Wedding Dress

A Plethora of Drabbles

 

"You know, I've always wanted to see myself in a wedding dress. I've dreamt about it for the longest time, ever since I saw how beautiful my mother's dress was." Yoona spoke with passion but with a hint of sadness at the mention of her mother, a woman she has never remembered of even meeting in her 16 years of life.

"Well aren't you a little too eager to get married." Jiyong joked.

Silence loomed over the pair as they walked in the darkening sky as usual. Yoona lifted her head to look at the stars that were barely there. She smiled and heaved out a puff of air.

"It's never too early to dream."

~*~*~

Yoona woke up as she would have any other day, but this particular day was strange. Everything was blurry. Her bed, her windows, her reflection, everything was a blur and that greatly instilled a fear in Yoona.

She was able to get Jiyong to drive her to the eye doctor as she could barely differentiate a car from a bike. Her heart paced rapidly with such anxiety that it couldn't have been normal. Jiyong whispers some words that would've calmed her down, but they failed to do so on that peculiar day. It was best to leave her be, he decided as he could not do anything to help with her worries.

Yoona will always remember that day.

~*~*~

It was Yoona's birthday and Jiyong had a huge surprise for his lovely girl.

Yoona was supposed to be happy, it was her 21st birthday after all, but how could she when the person she wanted to spend it with was nowhere in sight. Then, the doorbell rang with an urgency. Yoona used the wall to help her get to the door with ease. With shaky hands, she finally found the doorknob and twisted it open.

"Yoona?" The woman's voice was fragile and wary.

Yoona cried that night. She didn't know how to feel after meeting the woman that was supposedly her mother. Was she supposed to be happy that after 21 long years she finally met her? Or was she supposed to be enraged that it took 21 years to finally meet? In the end, Yoona didn't know the woman whom she has given the title as mother. So, why was she crying?

~*~*~

"I know this is random and all, but let's get married. You and me, right now!" Yoona blurted one day.

Yoona has always wanted to get married at a young age, and now in her mid 20s, it seemed like the perfect time to do it. Plus, with her best friend already expecting a baby, it heightened Yoona's urge to have a family with Jiyong.

"Well? What are we waiting for?" To her surprise, Jiyong reluctantly agreed.

Jiyong was always one to brush off many of Yoona's whimsical ideas, but unbeknownst to Yoona, Jiyong has been planning to propose for quite some time. He had even gotten the permission to do so from her father just a few weeks ago.

Everything has been falling together perfectly for the young couple. But, there was some unease in Yoona's eyes and she didn't know why.

~*~*~

Black. That's what she sees. Nothing but darkness and yet morning has risen and her eyes appear to be wide open. Short and quick breaths, and a bewildering heartbeat. Fear settled into Yoona as she lay paralyzed on her bed with no one to call for help.

All through the day, she stayed in bed in her dark solitude that she knew she will never be able to get rid of. Yoona could not bear to feel the lost of her sight. It'd be too much for her poor heart to take in at once.

Yoona could no longer feel.

~*~*~

Yoona sat in the narrow hallway of their small apartment with disheveled hair and tear stains on her face. Their apartment was a mess. Earlier, she had been throwing a fit, throwing things that she was able to grab. She kick and shoved, she had gone mad.

"I had a dream once," Yoona spoke in a manner that signified she has truly given up.

"I wanted to see myself in a wedding dress..."