Chapter 34

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

Landing on the floor with a loud thud as usual, I was cursing at how Taeyeon left things before sending me to the next dimension. I was hurting and it had nothing to do with my landing.

 

I stood up and shouted, “Taeyeon! I know you are here somewhere! You can’t just end things at that note!”

 

Silence was the response.

 

“You can’t decide things on your own!” I shouted. “KIM TAEYEON!”

 

Suddenly the door to the room I was in opened and I was about to yell at the person entering when I saw that it wasn’t Taeyeon.

 

“Tiffany?” Jessica entered cautiously. “I thought you won’t be back so soon? And who are you shouting at?”

 

“Er, Hi.” I said nervously and quickly checked my surroundings. It was familiar looking but I don’t recall where I have seen the place before. It was definitely not my room in Korea, or my apartment or Taeyeon’s either.

 

“What is wrong?” Jessica laughed and that was a little odd. She seemed different. “And hi yourself, what’s with the awkward greeting?”

 

She made a move towards me and I stepped backward.

 

“Eh okay,” Jessica looked at me, amused. “I assume you are not going to give me a proper greeting then.”

 

Jessica then walked towards the bed and made herself comfortable. She mindlessly picked up a magazine that was already on the bed and starting flipping through it.

 

“What are you talking about? And where are we?” I asked, taking a seat at the end of the bed.

 

Jessica frowned at my choice of seat and sat up, moving closer to me.

 

“Okay, you are starting to worry me.” Jessica said in all seriousness. “Are you sick?”

 

She placed her hand on my forehead which I quickly swatted away.

 

“No. Just answer my question.”

 

“Alright, I will entertain your weird questions for now,” Jessica said decidedly. “We are in your room which you have lived in for twenty five years.”

 

“What?! This is America?!”

 

“Eh yes? Duh.”

 

“What about Korea?”

 

“What about it?”

 

“Didn’t we move to Korea?”

 

“What is this about really?” Jessica looked at me oddly but I just stared back, urging her to answer my question.

 

“Okay, I remembered you saying your family discussed about it but apparently, never made the move.” Jessica replied. “So you stayed here after all and the rest is history.”

 

“So I have never met Taeyeon?”

 

“Who is that?” Jessica narrowed her eyes at me.

 

My face fell. This is not supposed to happen. We were supposed to move and I was to meet Taeyeon. If I stayed here the whole of my life, then… what has become of us?!

 

“You are not cheating on me, are you?”

 

“What?!”

 

I think I need air.

 

“You better not,” Jessica laughed. “I will kill you.”

 

I froze and stared.

 

“Come on, let’s go downstairs, umma made us dinner and your weird questions made me forgot about it.” Jessica said, throwing the magazine aside and just as she stepped off the bed, she kissed me on the cheeks. “That’s the greeting I was waiting for but I will overlook this time, you must be tired from work.”

 

My jaw dropped.

 

I waited till Jessica left the room before making a mad dash out of the house.

 

EVERYTHING IS MESSED UP.

 

I can’t do this.

 

Just I exited the house and out of the front yard, I ran into someone who held me into a warm hug. I was about to fight back that stranger who obviously had no respect for personal space when I saw who it was.

 

“Taeyeon?! You are here!”

 

“Where else would I be?” Taeyeon asked with a smile.

 

“But you are supposed to be in Korea!”

 

“I am not the Taeyeon in this dimension,” Taeyeon laughed and I face palmed. Of course, she wasn’t.

 

‘This place is messed up! I didn’t move to Korea and we never met!” I blurted out as if it was the most ridiculous thing ever.

 

“As I said, there will be dimensions…”

 

“No!” I interrupted and struggled against her hold. “No, this is not happening!”

 

“Tiffany! Listen to me for once, would you?” Taeyeon tightened her grip on my wrists. “Stop running from it!”

 

“I can’t Taeyeon, I can’t lose you anymore!” I screamed in tears and stopped fighting back. Instead, I pulled Taeyeon into a hug and sobbed onto her shoulders.

 

She returned the hug and comforted me, caressing my back with her right hand.

 

“I know, I am sorry.” Taeyeon said sadly.

 

“Stop saying that,” I cried harder. “Stop saying sorry for leaving because you didn’t. You are here!”

 

That was when a neighbor walked by and gave me a weird look. I glared back.

 

“The thing is, they can’t see me.” Taeyeon said softly, as if it would make it better.

 

“What?!”

 

“I died, remember? Even if I show myself, the people I know don’t see me as Taeyeon but someone else.”

 

“So, you are my Taeyeon?” I asked.

 

She didn’t respond and instead, she drew my attention elsewhere.

 

“Please, just look.”

 

Taeyeon carefully pulled away from me and gestured for me to look at the house.

 

Tiffany had just returned and right when she knocked, the door opened and Jessica stepped out with a confused look. The look quickly disappeared when Tiffany gave her a kiss on the lips and held her hand, making their way back into the house together.

 

“What is the meaning of this?” I asked as tears rolled off my cheeks.

 

“They are happy,” Taeyeon said contentedly. “even though you are not with me. You don’t even know I exist and so do I.”

 

“You deserve to be happy and you can be happy, Tiffany,” Taeyeon continued. “With or without me.”

 

“Why you trying so hard to get rid of me?” I tightened my hold on her. I am not ready to let go.

 

“I am not,” Taeyeon immediately refuted. “I just want you to understand…”

 

“NO! I don’t believe you!”

 

I took out my pocket watch and turn it to number 5 and squeezed the knob before Taeyeon could say anything more.

 

-

 

I ended up in a deserted bus stop. I searched frantically for a familiar face but the streets were empty. My best guess was that it was late.

 

My mind was in a swirl and fatigue was starting to overcome me. I sat slumped at the bus stop, wondering what I should do next when I saw a magazine next to me.

 

Taeyeon was on the cover, along with some other guy who I don’t recognize.

 

July 2014.

 

I checked the date and wondered if I landed in a dimension similar to the one I went to, only that Taeyeon is the star this time. I immediately frowned when I noticed that the headlines were her dating news and quickly flipped to read the article, only to be slapped in the face with more photos. The content was useless to me as I glance through the photos, they were self-explanatory enough.

 

That was when I noticed a timeline at the bottom and spotted my own name on the month April.

 

I laughed emptily and shut the magazine.

 

“Girl Generation’s Taeyeon.” I muttered to myself as I touched her photo on the cover.

 

I am lost.

 

I am in denial.

 

I am screwed.

 

-

 

A/N:

Okay, you may think I am going a little too fast with the dimensions now but put yourself in our Tiffany's shoes. If you were hit by the information that there will be dimensions where Taeyeon and Tiffany will not be together, wouldn't you want to make a mad dash to each of them to see for yourself? Besides, our Tiffany is currently not thinking rationally.

As for the last dimension in this chapter, I am just making a pathetic acknowledgement of our reality which I don't want to go too in depth. Let us bask in imagination. Anyway, it's either this or the one I had in mind, which is taeny with their respective husbands.

Now click next.