Chapter 33

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

“But… Who… How?” I wasn’t sure what to ask.

 

“That’s something I have been trying to figure out as well.” Taeyeon chuckled sadly. “There are times you could see me and times you couldn’t.”

 

“What? When?” I was beyond shocked and confused.

 

Taeyeon looked at me intently, seemingly lost in thought.

 

“What is going on?” I asked softly, breaking her thoughts.

 

“Sorry, you distract me.” Taeyeon laughed haughtily that I almost thought she wasn’t serious.

 

“Taeyeon, you have to tell me what is going on here.”

 

“Our purpose is the same, that’s for sure.”

 

“What does that even mean?”

 

“To help us, our stupid selves in different universes. And most importantly, to help you.”

 

“You have been around this whole time.”

 

“Yes, I was the one who sold you the pocket watch.”

 

“You… It was YOU! The… the… florist!”

 

“The crazy girl at the bus stop, the timely waitress who paid for your meal, the crazy stalker fan, the rude student who bumped into Jessica…”

 

“That was all you?!” I interjected.

 

Taeyeon merely smiled.

 

“Why didn’t I notice? Why didn’t anyone notice?”

 

“People see what they want to see.”

 

“I wanted to see you! Always!” I almost shouted but I suddenly noticed something. “Why now? Why show yourself now?”

 

“That wasn’t deliberate but I guess it’s about time,” Taeyeon explained. “You will need me.”

 

“Why?” The question left me before I could stop myself. Why would I not need her?

 

Taeyeon laughed again, not at the question but at my perturbed expression. However, she quickly recomposed herself and I got worried at the sudden serious atmosphere.

 

“Because it’s about time you understand ‘loss’.”

 

My brows tightened as I thought about her words. I wasn’t sure what she meant but it sounded way too ominous.

 

“Sometimes, you have to learn to let go,” she said as she tried to pry my hand off her.

 

“NO!” I tightened my grip and the meaning of her words start to make sense.

 

“Tiffany, listen to me!”

 

“NO!” I refused and started to throw a tantrum, childishly plugged one of my ears with my finger.

 

Taeyeon sighed but it didn’t stop her.

 

“There will be dimensions where we don’t belong together.”

 

“NO!” I yelled at her, tears started to form in my eyes. I have no intention to hear any of that. I am not going to lose her in any dimension. That was when my eyes widen in realization. “What about here?”

 

Taeyeon was about to say something but I didn’t let her.

 

I ran.

 

I ran with all my might.

 

I ran as fast as my legs can carry me.

 

And when I feel as though my lungs are going to explode, I pushed myself further. It was as though the universe was telling me something, I saw Taeyeon, the one that belonged here that is, from afar and all I could think about is that I am not going to lose her.

 

Never.

 

I lost all logical thinking. I couldn’t care less at that moment if I was going to screw up the laws of travelling.

 

I stopped right in front of Taeyeon, who stared at me in surprise. Grabbing her collar, I pulled her into a kiss but she quickly pushed me away, shocked.

 

“What the hell are you doing?!” Taeyeon yelled at me.

 

Although I felt hurt by her actions, my thoughts were all over the place. I wasn’t quite sure what I was doing or what I was saying.

 

“Why can’t you see that I love you?!” I yelled back in exasperation. I was going to fix this with or without the other Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon was stumped.

 

I felt tears b my eyes and I looked away from Taeyeon’s intense gaze. That was when I noticed Sunny standing just a few steps away.

 

I gasped as she glared at both of us before stomping off in anger.

Taeyeon noticed my reaction and turned around, immediately realized her girlfriend was right next to us when all these happened.

 

“What have you done?!” Taeyeon muttered before she gave chase.

 

I quickly grabbed onto her shirt in reflex to stop her. Taeyeon turned back and our eyes met. She looked… hurt. My heart squeezed as I let go of her. She said nothing and went after Sunny.

 

I watched as she ran and slowly diminished from my line of sight.

 

What have I done?

 

-

 

When I finally met Tiffany at the end of the day, she was fuming in anger. She must have heard what I did.

 

“What the hell is wrong with you?” The first thing she yelled at me.

 

I chuckled, as if I was out of my mind. There had been so much yelling today that I was inclined to believe the world is coming to an end.

 

“You are mad, I can’t believe I trusted you with my feelings!” She continued but I simply looked mindlessly at her. Well, at least I did something. All she did was running away!

 

“How could you?” Tiffany suddenly turned somber. The anger was replaced with hurt and fear.

 

“I know I am not in the position to judge when my reputation isn’t sparkling clean in the first place, but Taeyeon was my best friend! She never left my side even when I was at my worst. And you ruined it all!”

 

Tiffany cried as she collapsed on the floor, looking all lost.

 

I wanted to cry with her but no tears came to me. It was as though my heart had been too used to hurt that my threshold for crying was too high.

 

I wanted to say sorry but I know nothing I say now will of any use.

 

The dimension travelling had been fun, and I was almost deceived into believing that these trips were healing the gaping hole in my life. I was fixing relationships for pete’s sake! My only regret in life!

 

Yet that Taeyeon had to ruin it all.

 

Was what I did all for nothing?

 

Who am I kidding? My Taeyeon is dead.

 

Who is that Taeyeon anyway? Who does she think she was, waltzing in and telling me who I should and shouldn’t be with?

 

How could she do this to me?

 

What does it even mean that she is not my Taeyeon?!

 

I took a second look at the sobbing Tiffany and decided it was too much for me to handle. I was no longer sure of what I am doing anymore.

 

And so I ran, again.

 

But the laws of nature are against me. All I wanted was to run away from all these yet the only person I always seemed to find myself running into is Taeyeon.

 

“There you are,” Taeyeon said, as she took a seat next to me. “I have been looking for you all day.”

 

“I screwed up.” I said as I looked up, anywhere but Taeyeon, really. Dark cloud loomed the sky and the wind howled, seemingly warning us that a storm is coming.

 

“I heard,” Taeyeon replied.

 

I waited for more but she said nothing else.

 

“Aren’t you going to yell at me?” I asked. “For what I did? For being rash? For ruining Taeyeon and Sunny’s relationship?”

 

“No. You already know all that.”

 

I finally looked at Taeyeon, wondering what she was doing then, looking for me all day.

 

“We haven’t quite finished our earlier conversation, you know?”

 

“I don’t care,” I said in defiance, knowing that it bothered me way more than I say it did.

 

“There will be dimensions where we don’t belong together,” She repeated her words earlier.

 

“Stop!” I yelled. “Why are you doing this to me? Denying my efforts in the other dimensions? Telling me there is nothing I can do to change things?”

 

“I am not saying that,” Taeyeon replied calmly, trying to hold my hand but I refused to be held. I was hurt.

 

“I am just saying that there will be a dimension sooner or later where things may not go your way.”

 

“Like this one?” I clenched my fist.

 

“Not really,” Taeyeon said thoughtfully. “We will do fine here. What you have done may have thrown things into a mess but at least this Taeyeon knows she wasn’t the only one.”

 

“What do you mean she wasn’t the only one?”

 

Taeyeon merely smiled at that.

 

“At dimensions where we are meant to be,” Taeyeon said as she reached into my pocket. “We may lose our way but we will find each other eventually.”

 

"How do you know?" I asked skeptically as I watched at Taeyeon took my pocket watch and turned it to four, the next dimension.

 

“I just know."

 

"But there will come a time,” Taeyeon continued as she placed the watch in my hand. “When loss is inevitable.”

 

“Why are you saying this?” I asked, stopping her from retracting her hands upon returning the watch to me.

 

Taeyeon hovered her fingers at the switch before looking into my eyes. She spoke as she gave the knob a gentle squeeze.

 

“Because I died.”

 

-

 

A/N: Storm is brewing so embrace yourself.

 

Putting this story aside, merry Christmas! Lol, updating any of my ongoings seems to be really odd during the festive season, considering all my stories at a point where there's nothing joyous. So I hope I get to update real quick to get pass the storm like it never happened. =X