Our Radioactive Love

Our Radioactive Love

 

"Well, what's the half-life of your love to me?" questioned Yoojin in a clear inquistorial voice as she sat beside her husband on the blue leather couch, affectionally poking his left cheek with her little finger.

"Will it be exactly like Barium-143, merely 12 seconds or Uranium-238? 5000 million years?" she added, and the Physics teacher named Junyoung guffawed, displaying his perfectly-arranged set of teeth.

"Should I give you an answer now? I'm watching the tv," he pinched the bridge of her nose, and she flinched away.

"I'm just curious- you'd better answer me or I won't cook you dinner,"

"Hmm. Do you even know what half-life means?"

"Sure I do! It's the time taken for half of the unstable atoms to decay!" she responded without faltering. Junyoung lifted one brow before he clapped his hands, impressed with his wife's answer.

"The definition's right, but you got the concept wrong- you mentioned about unstable atoms just now, no? What, are you seeing my love as unstable atoms? Pffft. You made me sound like a mentally unstable person,"

Yoojin's eyes narrowed, feeling niggled upon listening to Junyoung's remarks.

"What makes it so hard for you to respond? Grrrrrr," she gritted her teeth in desperation, and she made him laugh yet again.

"Hey, at least I gave you some replies, right? Fine, I can't stand seeing you sulk like this- you look beyond ugly," he covered before she could even protest.

"I'll give you my answer, but you need to do something," he set her free, and her eyes shone in delight as she nodded enthusiastically.

"Tell me the definition of Radioactivity," he said in a calm tone, and his wife abruptly stood before she ran away in a flash, looking no different than a beta particle- a fast-moving electron with 90% of the speed of light.

"Oh, I believe you can return to me in 10 seconds, hon!" Junyoung said in a slightly raised voice, making it more audible. He gained a few syllables of grumbling from Yoojin, but he just laughed them away.

 

Yoojin jumped onto Junyoung's lap merely 6 seconds after, and he couldn't help feeling extremely shocked with her lightsomeness. She bit her lower lip before a meaningful smile curved both corners of her baby pink lips as Junyoung gave her a glare.

"Radioactivity; the spontaneous disintegration of an unstable nucleus into a more stable nucleus accompanied by the emission of radioactive rays or photons!" uttered her without even pausing to fill her lungs with oxygen.

His gaze softened, and he snapped his fingers in delight. "Bingo! What an astounding housewife you are, Yoojin. That's precisely how I see myself after I married you,"

"I don't understand...?"

"Hmm...you really need to learn to read in between the lines, wifey. Fine, I'll repeat. Our marriage is much like a radioactivity in my life; and I couldn't ask for anything better than this. You're able to detect a whole bunch of my bad habits that even a Cloud Chamber nor the mighty Geiger-Muller Tube can't see. What's even wonderful- you changed me into a better chap!" a radiant beam decorated his youthful visage, and sheer happiness filled every corner of her heart, blooming relentlessly just like a full spring.

But she was still dissatisfied with his incomplete answer. "Full definition, please,"

"You're so slow. You disintegrated all my bad habits away ever since we got married- you moulded me into someone better, a more stable person," Junyoung flicked her forehead irritably, making her burst into a fit of laughter.

"Where are you going?" asked him as she jumped off his lap out of the blue.

"Cook you dinner, but of course,"

 

From a slight distance that separated them on a small beige dining table, Yoojin stared at her husband, unblinking, as he stuffed a spoonful of cheesecake into his mouth.

"Junyoungie, how do atom bomb works?"

He raised his head to meet her still gaze. "It all starts with critical mass- the minimum mass of fission material that will sustain a nuclear chain reaction,"

"Then?" she continued asking even though she couldn't comprehend anything he said.

"Well....two or more sub-critical masses have to be brought together to make a mass in excess of the critical mass before the bomb explodes!" replied him confidently, and Yoojin's mouth curved downwardly in confusion.

"How much do you love me then?" he almost squirted his green tea out upon listening to her question.

"Why ask? You know I'm not gonna answer,"

"Why is it so hard?"

He shrugged, and she started to turn scarlet with anger. The more she thought about it, the angrier that she was. She finally took her aggression out by storming out of the kitchen, leaving Junyoung in total devastation as she yelled,

"You and I are so like isotopes- and you are absolutely the unstable one!"

He breathed shallowly after her figure vanished from her sight, and he murmured softly to himself,

"Looks like an atom bomb has just exploded,"

 

Everything was overshadowed with utter silence the moment Junyoung stepped into their room two hours later, and he gingerly climbed the king-sized bed, afraid of evoking his wife's rage yet again.

"Yoojin...?"

He breathed a sigh of relief. "You're really asleep,"

Taking a few quiet steps towards the wooden closet, Junyoung took a blanket out and covered Yoojin's trembling body warily. He knew very well that she couldn't really sleep without a thick piece of blanket.

"Good thing you didn't cry, wifey," he caressed her cold cheeks and lay beside her, at the same time making sure that his eyes were glued on her alone.

"Forgive me for being unromantic, haha,"

"You know what? I might be a total ignoramus when it comes to love- but trust me, Yoojin. You're no different than a gamma ray. You might not be able to ionize my heart away, but that strong love of yours penetrated my heart to its core," he smiled sheepishly upon saying those words albeit he was talking alone, but then all he felt was sheer contentment for being able to make a silent love confession.

"If Marie Curie could die because of radioactive radiation, I'd die too- but happily, because your love radiation is too intense for me to handle,"

Junyoung planted a soft peck onto Yoojin's temple before he too, drifted into a deep slumber.

"Sweet dreams, honey bun,"

 

The next time she would sulk over how much he loved her, he'd make the same confession again.

Radioactively, of course.