Chapter One

The Chaser

Hye Ri’s POV

“I can’t take it anymore! I’m going! I’m not going to live with a man who can’t even handle a company properly!” I heard mom yelled.

“Fine! Go and enjoy your own life! I don’t need a woman like you!” Dad yelled back.

 

I was startled at the moment, I don’t know what to do, I was frozen like a statue, what I could do was just to overheard their talk and do nothing. I wish I was brave enough to stop them, but no, I’m not. I was standing beside the door like a fool who can’t do anything.

I was about to call them for dinner, for all these time I thought that nothing had happened, I thought that they were still living in harmony, sharing their love for each other, but all of those thoughts are just mine, the fact was that nothing was okay. I was blind, blind by my own, not noticing even a single thing that is happening in my own house. Now I’m awake, I realized everything, not even a single thing is okay.

 

“All you want from me is my money isn’t it? Now that I’m bankrupt, you don’t want me anymore, right?”

“Well everything is up to you, if you want to have those thoughts then have it! I don’t care anymore!”

 

Mom rushed outside of the room, she was surprised to see me, but she didn’t say a single word and just went to her room, get her things and strike out of the house. I chased her.

 

“Mom! Where are you going! Don’t leave me!!”

“You’re staying with your dad no matter what happens, mom is going, take care of yourself my dear.” She said and rode the taxi.

“MOMM!!!” I shouted, but she didn’t even mind to turn her head.

I went back to the house and met dad.

“What’s with you guys?” I asked.

“We’re going to divorce soon.”

“Why? Aren’t you guys living in harmony for all these times?”

“That’s just an act Hye Ri ah, we’re covering this from you, seems that you’re mother can’t handle it anymore. I’m sorry Hye Ri ah.”

“So, I’m watching a drama for all these times? Huh~ How pathetic am I to not even notice a single thing.”

“Hye Ri ah, I’m really sorry, just if dad was a bit smarter, then dad won’t get tricked like this and get bankrupt.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” I raised my voice a bit.

“Dad is really sorry Hye Ri ah, and also we need to move out from this house, we’re moving to a smaller house, is it okay?”

“Dad, I’m okay with any house, the problem for me is why are you guys hiding these kind of problems from me?!”

“We… we just wanted to make you happy.”

“Happy? This is what you called as happiness?”

“I’m really sorry Hye Ri ah.”

“Stop saying sorry! It won’t help!” I said and ran to my room and locked myself in.

 

I couldn’t believe a single thing I just heard. Mom and Dad are going to divorce? Dad is bankrupt? Mom left the house? I couldn’t even a single thing. My life was fine back then, I live in luxury, my family was all fine, living in harmony, I have great friends and went to a prestigious school, but now, it’s disappearing one by one.

 

=The next day=

 

“Hye Ri ah, have you packed up?”

“Yes.”

“Let’s go now.”

 

I walked with heavy steps to the taxi, still looking at my house, well it’s no longer my house though, so I could say my previous house, I just realized how big and beautiful it was, I had lived there for years but I just realized it now. My steps are so heavy, it feels like I’m carrying tons of rocks in my feet, it’s really hard for me to move, I was barely moving.

 

“Hye Ri ah, faster!” My dad called and so I quickened my steps and rode the taxi.

We soon arrived at our new house, it was smaller than I expected, it has only one floor and I think only two people can fit in, so I think it fits well for us though. Dad paid for the taxi and we entered our new house.

 

“We’re going to live here from now on.”

“It’s not that bad though.”

“Ah, Hye Ri ah, I forget to tell you that, you’re switching to another school, it’s near here though so you just need to walk, it’s okay for you right?”

“Yes.” I nodded.

“Shouldn’t you be meeting your friends to say goodbye?”

“That’s a great idea! I’ll be going then, Bye dad!”

“Enjoy!”

 

I rushed to the road and took a taxi and rushed to school, now I know the reason why I’m told to not to go to school for these few days, they told me that my parents had a fight with the principal and I’m not allowed to go to school for a moment, but the truth is that my dad couldn’t afford to pay my school fees, I felt miserable but then what can I do? They totally hid it from me.

After a few minutes, I arrived at my school, I was really happy to meet my bestfriend Krystal, but when I started to walk through the hallway, everyone was looking at me while whispering I was quite pissed, but I decided to let it off.

 

“Why are they acting like this?” I thought.

“Oh Hye Ri ah!” Suddenly a familiar voice called, I looked back and it was Krystal.

“Krystal ah! I miss you!” I hugged her.

“I miss you too! But, Hye Ri ah, I need to talk to you, let’s go to the cafeteria.”

“Oh, okay then.” I nodded, we head to the cafeteria and sat at the corner near the window.

“What is it?”

“Have you heard the news about your dad?”

“Which news?”

“Seems that you haven’t heard any of them, here you go.” Krystal handed to me her phone with an article on it. I start to read it and I couldn’t believe what I’m reading, my dad went bankrupt and had a debt of 5 million won?! Like really? 5 million won!!! He was tricked and he lost 5 million won? What the hell is actually going on!!!! My eyes widened and I couldn’t close my mouth, I was frozen.

“Finished?” Krystal took back her phone.

“Don’t say that you didn’t know anything about this? Everyone in the campus had know it and they’re all talking about you.” I didn't reply.

“Yah, Hye Ri ah! Get your senses back!”

“I… I don’t know anything…”

“What?! You don’t know anything?!”

“Your dad is in a big trouble now, creditors are chasing him wanting money.”

“Krystal ah, what should I do now.”

“I don’t know too, and I heard that you’re going to stop studying here? Is it right?”

“Yes.” I nodded slowly.

“Hye Ri ah, I’m sorry to say, but let’s stop contacting each other starting from now on.” I immediately raised my head after hearing what Krystal just said.

“Why?”

“My sister, Jessica doesn’t like it, she said that being close to you right now is a bit dangerous, well because of your dad’s debt, I hope you can understand.”

“Ahh~ I see…I understand.” I nodded.

“I’ll be going now then, I’ll be late for class! Bye! Take care Hye Ri ah! You know that I love you right!”

“Bye! You too! Take care, I love you too!” I said and waved to her.

 

This just doesn’t make any sense to me, everything doesn’t make sense, and why is everything going from me? Did I do anything wrong? Why am I like this? Why are the good things in my life going away from me? Why is it happening to me?!

 

To be continue…