Chapter 1

Moonlit Masquerade
Nestled in the middle of the notorious side of Seoul was the highly acclaimed Celebrities’ Club. Despite its name, the bar was in no way a hang out for celebrities, if such things existed. Rather, it was simply a nightclub promising shows by performers who resembled real celebrities. Thus, no one was fooled by the Jeon Ji Hyun look alike who gave exotic belly dances every Thursday night, or the Rain imposter with the Elvis Presley vibes, performing every Mondays. Indeed, it was all an illusion; a world of make believe aimed to enchant and enthrall patrons and mistresses alike.
 
On a particular Saturday night in May, like all those before in the preceding years, the nightclub was packed, overflowed with the maximum capacity the club could hold. Outside, the street was filled with taxis, rental, and personal cars of clients eager to enter the club. Despite the drawing night air, the sidewalks were still crammed with wandering social groups. The night was lighted by neon signs competing with other bars throughout the blocks.
 
Not surprisingly, the entrance of the Celebrities’ Club was jam packed with clients waiting outside, staring eagerly at the poster of the captivating performer that night.
 
Kim Yoo Bin.
 
She had the beauty and grace of the renowned actress and model, Yang Aeri, but she possessed the powerful and soul-searching voice of Lee Soo Young. As usual, she sat on a stool in solitude on the huge stage. Except for the spotlight on her, the whole club was shrouded in darkness. Holding the microphone with both hands, her eyes closed, she sang in tune with the hottest ballad of the day.
 
 
As she reached her highest pitch, drawing the song to an end, everyone in the crowd held their breath, anticipating the end of the show. Finally, the song was finished, but everyone remained silent, studying the beautiful Yoo Bin, whose eyes were still shut. Only when she opened her eyes did the audience erupt into loud applauses and commendable whistles. Yoo Bin stood up from the stool, returned an elegant bow, then turned away and walked through the curtains.
 
Even as she was walking along the dark corridor, making her way to her fitting room, there were still applauses and praises from the contented crowd. But the enthusiasm did nothing to boost her ego. As was her routine, she was immune to the admiration she saw in the audience’s face. Particularly the men’s.
 
Once Yoo Bin reached her fitting room, tucked at the farthest corner backstage, she searched her hidden pocket for her single key. Quickly, she closed the door behind her and locked it. Once too many, there had been ardent admirers who tried to force their way into her private quarter. In the safety of her personal territory, Yoo Bin released her breath as she turned to her room. As usual, her aunt was in there, waiting for the show to be over. For the first time  hat night, a sensual and genuine smile touched Yoo Bin’s lips, which were oft times set in a firm, unrelenting line.
 
“Auntie,” she greeted as she reached her aunt and gave the elderly woman a warm hug. Aunt Kim was Yoo Bin’s only living relative. She had raised Yoo Bin, performing in the Celebrities’ Club as well, until eight years ago a tragic accident bound her to a wheelchair. Ever since, at the age of twenty, Yoo Bin left her studies and followed her aunt’s footsteps. Although the job didn’t offer one a sense of pride, it at least allowed for a modest salary, which was all Yoo Bin could ask for at the moment.
 
“Are you tired?” Aunt Kim asked, interrupting Yoo Bin’s thoughts as Yoo Bin sat down. It was obvious Aunt Kim had been striking in her youth, with smooth, taut skin, defined lips, and sharp eyes. The stress over the years added tinges of silvery gray to her short, brown curls. She shared the same crescent eyes as Yoo Bin, a popular trademark of Yoo Bin’s, a trademark that made her distinctive from Yang Aeri.
 
Staring at her reflection in the mirror, Yoo Bin began taking off her jewelry one by one. Big ear loops glittered, followed by silver bangles. She rarely caked her face with make-up. Her olive tone shone a healthy hue under the intense light.
 
“I’m ready for sleep, that’s for sure,” she replied honestly, giving her aunt a weary smile. Aunt Kim returned the smile with a look of sympathy.
 
“A warm dinner and cozy bed awaits us, dear.”
 
“Yes,” Yoo Bin agreed. “Let me get out of these clothes—” Her gown sparkled as she attempted
 o reach behind her and . But a firm knock at the wooden door interrupted Yoo Bin’s actions. She frowned. “Who could that be?”
 
“Oh dear,” Aunt Kim gasped. “I completely forgot to tell you. We are expecting a young gentleman before we leave.”
 
Yoo Bin’s frown deepened. “Auntie, you know I don’t accept calls from the club’s patrons.”
 
“I know dear, but this one is not calling for any erse reasons. He says he has a business proposal.” The knock came again. “You’d better open him before he becomes impatient.”
 
Sighing, Yoo Bin walked to the door. She only left a bare three inches opened as she peered outside. Standing in front of her was an attractive man, dressed in an expensive, tailored suit. He was quite young, perhaps only a few years older than Yoo Bin herself, but he possessed an air of authority along with a tinge of self-importance. A black briefcase added to the image.
 
“Miss Yoo Bin?he inquired. Yoo Bin nodded. “May I come in?”
 
“Of course,” she responded, stepping aside to allow his entrance. Yoo Bin shut the door before turning back to him, who was surveying the room with keen interest. He had hawk-like eyes and didn’t seem the type to miss anything. With brown, shaggy hair and glasses, his boyish features made him look almost comical in the suit. As though he was a little boy playing dress-up with his father’s wear.
 
“Please, have a seat,” she invited, though she did not feel a bit pleased at the intrusion of an unwanted visitor.
 
“I’m sorry to be visiting at this hour,” the stranger said, as though he read her mind. “But I have an urgent matter to discuss with you. I called your house phone earlier but your aunt informed me you were already here at the club.”
 
Yoo Bin’s brow rose as she leaned against the counter, arms folded. She was getting piqued by the second. “And may I ask, what is this ‘urgent matter?’”
 
“Well…” his voice trailed off as he studied her, his brown eyes intent. “My, but you’re an exact replica of Yang Aeri.”
 
“Well, Mr…”
 
“Min Nam Suk,” he quickly provided.
 
“Mr. Min, I am paid well because I look like her. This is what attracts the clients.”
 
“I understand, but I am still astounded by the fact. When I was told about this nightclub and about you, I couldn’t believe my own ears. But after seeing you perform tonight, I am flabbergasted. I must commend you, not only on your eerily similar features, but also on your obvious singing talents.”
 
Yoo Bin waved her hand, as though to dismiss the topic at hand. She was eager to conclude their session and go home. “I assume you’re not here to give me compliments.” With a forced smile that almost shattered her uptight expression, Yoo Bin encouraged, “Please, get to the point, Mr. Min.”
 
“Yes, of course,” he replied stiffly. Gone were the pleasantries, and in its place was a man driven here for strictly business purposes. Reaching into his pocket, he presented a business card, which he handed to Yoo Bin. “As I said, I’m Min Nam Suk, Yang Aeri’s personal assistant.”
 
Yoo Bin and Aunt Kim exchanged curious glances. “Why is Yang Aeri involved? What? Am I being sued now?” Yoo Bin asked, defensive. She lifted her chin, a show of her defiant streak. “For Pete’s sake, is it my fault that I resemble the woman? It’s not like I had surgery, you know. This is how I look, naturally!”
 
Nam Suk smiled. “Nothing like that. Actually, it’s quite a blessing.”
 
“A blessing?” Yoo Bin repeated.
 
“Yes. Because of that inevitable fact, Miss Yoo Bin, I am offering you a deal.”
 
“What kind of deal?” Yoo Bin asked, her eyes trailing to Aunt Kim, who was as clueless as Yoo Bin.
 
“To be frank, I need you to pose as Yang Aeri for a week.”
 
“Whatever for?” Yoo Bin was trying to determine if he was a hoax, simply trying to gain entry into her room.
 
“Well, I’ll start at the beginning. You see, Aeri’s out of the country right now, but no one knows, not even her own mother. However, her mother has demanded Aeri meet the son of an old friend, a promise made over twenty years ago. But since Aeri…is already involved with someone else,” Nam Suk narrowed his eyes, “this is off the record.”
 
Yoo Bin rolled her eyes. “Of course.” She didn’t exactly care what celebrities did with their private life.
 
“Aeri refuses to meet this man, but her mother threatens to disown her if she does not abide to the promise.” A short pause ensued as Nam Suk allowed what he had said to sink in.
 
“Basically, what you’re trying to say is I am to play Aeri?” Yoo Bin inquired.
 
“Yes,” Nam Suk confirmed.
 
He seemed legitimate enough. However, once Yoo Bin had formed her opinion of him, she realized there was yet another hindering issue.
 
“But I have no acting skills.” She threw an anxious glance at her aunt, whose hands were folded on her lap, her thumbs moving in circles.
 
With a crude smile that went against his boyish image earlier, Nam Suk produced a packet from his briefcase. “Why don’t you reconsider your abilities after you read the conditions and rewards of the contract?” He handed the sheaf of papers to Yoo Bin. “In any case, much won’t be required of you. Her schedule next week is light and her mother, who is not aware of this exchange, is conveniently out of town.”
 
Yoo Bin scanned the contents of the contract. At the bottom of the last sheet, her eyes widened at the amount of money to compensate for her time. Nam Suk smiled derisively; he knew money talks.
 
“Well?” he asked, although he was certain of the answer already.
 
Yoo Bin’s hand tightened over the papers. She hated the idea of masquerading as Aeri. However, the amount was substantially huge; it would allow her to move her and Aunt Kim from the club and seek a decent occupation, which had always been a dream of Yoo Bin’s. Although she had a sinking feeling this job would do nothing but bring much undesired havoc, the job opened the door to the life she had always envisioned for her and Aunt Kim.
 
She turned to Nam Suk, unexplainably loathing the man and his confident smirk. “I wish to remove my aunt and I from this surrounding immediately. I insist on half the payment beforehand.”
 
His grin vanished. “And if you leave before the week is over?”
 
Yoo Bin shrugged, trying to act nonchalant. In truth, her heart was threatening to fly out from her chest. The opportunity was too golden, too good, and she almost couldn’t believe it. “I can’t leave the law, can I?”
 
“I wouldn’t want the justice system to be involved with this. It’d be scandalous. Aeri has a reputation to keep.”
 
“Well, you’ll just have to take a gamble, won’t you?” Yoo Bin studied a fingernail, acting as though she had found something remarkably interesting there. “I don’t see the whole population of Korea resembling Yang Aeri.”
 
There was short pause. Although infinitesimal, Yoo Bin was conscious of every second ticking by. Should he reject her request…
 
“Fine,” he answered, a bit resentful, for he never liked being compromised.
 
“Great, we’ve come to an understanding then,” Yoo Bin said in a cheerful voice she did not feel. “Now, who is this man Aeri is supposed to meet?”
 
“TOP is a former member of the group Big Bang. Ever heard of them?”
 
Yoo Bin answered him with an empty, clueless expression. Although she did work at the Celebrities’ Club, besides Yang Aeri, Yoo Bin was too preoccupied with other things in life to educate her self in the realm of celebrities. With a critical view on life, Yoo Bin didn’t think it was important to waste time on people who didn’t even know she exists.
 
At Yoo Bin’s blank stare, Nam Suk sighed in exasperation. He couldn’t believe the ignorance of the woman. “Anyway, he’s now the CEO of Tempo. That’s an important entertainment agency that recruits young talents. He’s highly successful, wealthy, and influential.”
 
Yoo Bin laughed to herself as she thought cynically, And this powerful man couldn’t find his own mate, having to succumb to an old promise made over twenty years ago?
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Chapter 1 is up! Just wait for chapter 2 guys! :)
No edits here! Just reposting. :)