Afraid

Two Moons And The Mermaids

“DO-ah! Is the cake ready?” Xiumin yelled from the kitchen.

The bakeshop was already closed but they were busy decorating a birthday cake.

“Almost done putting the icing!” DO replied without stopping.

The BAP waiters came and one by one removed their aprons, placing them on the counter.

“Dude! We gotta go! Seri told us to be there by 6 and we’re 30 minutes late already!” Daehyun said.

DO merely ignored him.

“Can’t you see he’s focused?” Youngjae smirked. “He needs time to prepare this very special cake.” he chuckled.

Chen finally came out with Xiumin, also dressed to go. “What’s the point putting all those flowers when it will end up in our stomachs anyway? Tch!” he complained.

“Bro! It’s the thought that counts! Let’s leave him alone, shall we?” the eldest Exo patted his shoulder.

“Fine! But 10 minutes more and we’re leaving! I don’t wanna hear Seri preaching again!” Chen sighed.

He joined the waiters who were waiting at a table, talking and checking their outfits.

At the 9 minute mark, DO straightened up with a triumphant smile. “Done!” he announced.

All of them stood and went to the counter. Their eyes went to a two layered fondant cake donned with edible flowers, wrapped in red icing, and a very stylish name of Jiwon in script.

“Whoa! Good job man!” Jongup high fived him.

“Yeah… I guess this proves that when a person is in love, their creative juices run wild.” Daehyun snorted.

“In love?” DO tilted his head in confusion. “Me?”

Himchan eyerolled and walked to the door. “Aigooo! It also proves that love makes a person dumb… So can we go now?”

The rest of BAP followed him with a smirk, while DO turned to his hyungs. “Who’s dumb?”

“Great!” Chen also left.

Xiumin carefully placed the cake inside a box and slapped DO’s arm. “Don’t mind them man! You’ll figure it out soon enough. Let’s go!”

DO carried the box and followed him afterwards. ‘What should I figure out?’ then his heart started pounding against his chest. ‘Aish! Here it goes again! Wonder why it happens a lot lately…’

“Yah! Move it!” Xiumin shouted.

He snapped out of trance and carried the box. “Coming!”

----------

You were outside Jiwon’s house when the bakeshop team came.

“What took you so long?” Seri whined.

“Ask DO! Pft!” he scoffed.

She turned to the side and saw DO grinning while holding a huge box.

“Forget it. I don’t even wanna know… Tsah! I bet Jiwon is waiting for us already. Gaja!” she beckoned.

Seri lead everybody into an old fashioned house which was slightly behind other houses on a noiseless road. Sickly green weeds crept over the roof moldings. Thick dusts formed on window edges. The thick wooden door became the main entrance, and the entire floor was small that could barely hold 18 boys, 2 kids, 2 girls, and a bunny.

“Am I in a haunted house or what?” Kai remarked.

Seri shot him a warning glare followed by an elbow to the gut. “Babe! I don’t need a diva right now. Seri’s family has been through a lot and the least you can do is complain!”

“Oh! Miahnae…” he pouted.

Jiwon came and Seri rushed to her for a hug. “Hey girl! Happy birthday!”

“Hey! Thank you...” she hugged her back.

Sehun was way at the back and couldn’t help but stare at how simple Jiwon was. Dark skinny jeans, red flowy top, a pair of floral wedges, and a shiny silver pin on the side of her hair.

“You like her don’t you?” Lay whispered.

“Ani!” he looked away. “She looks stupid! Heh!”

“I was asking if you like her! Not about how she looks!” Lay smirked. “Don’t worry… It’ll be our little secret!”

“Hyyuuunnggg…” maknae blushed.

“Guys! Guys!” Seri shouted. “Jiwon have something to say!”

Despite his whole body was shaking from anxiety, DO gave all of his attention.

“Errrmm… I really appreciate you guys coming over. It’s been a while since I celebrated my birthday with f-friends…”

Seri notice her tearing up so she placed an arm around her shoulder. It's that moment when a person talks about her feelings, hardships, and achievements on a special day with special people around her.

“The past two years have been really hard for me and my parents but life has to continue right?” she forced a laugh, trying to control her emotions. “There are certain people who touch our hearts and we can’t stop thinking about them. That’s the kind of person all of you are to me, far yet so near, simple yet worth caring for. Thank you so, so much for understanding me, for keeping up with me…”

Seri pulled her closer, rubbing her arm from the side and despite the quivering jaw, Jiwon continued looking at their faces. I know I made a huge mistake especially to Se…Sehun…” she faced him, his eyes turning soft. With just a stare, everyone seemed to have disappeared. He was completely drawn to her, but she was pulling back. “Miahnae… I really didn’t mean it. Jinjja miahnae…”

Sehun opened his mouth but she looked away.

“...and I want to take this opportunity to thank Sehee unnie for always being a sister to me. Never in my life have I doubted her and knowing two of the greatest girls on earth has been a huge help to me.”

“You’re always welcome, Jiwonnie.” you smiled.

“Uhmmm…” Jiwon dropped her head, breathing out the lump in . “Hoooo…”

That’s when Draco and Kirsten walked up to her. “Auntie Jiwon, uljimma…” the boy said, tugging her pants.

“Auntieeee…” the little girl added.

“Awww~” Jiwon kneeled and her heavy heart finally gave up. “I’m okay! These are tears of happiness… You’re so sweet don’t you know that?” she rubbed their backs.

“Yeah… Uncle Yeollie always say that every time we turn him into a punching bag.” Draco innocently added.

You covered your mouth to hide the chuckle while everyone else laugh including Jiwon.

Kai walked and opened a hand to her. “Yah, Im Jiwon! I want you to accept me as your boyfriend…” her eyes rounded. “But only for today! Someone who is very territorial will kill us if we continue once the offer expires.” he winked at Seri.

You also pushed Luhan to them. “She has a crush on you! Go!” you whispered.

“But I thought she likes Sehun?” he scratched his nape.

“Sehun is on a different level. You’re just some eye candy thing!” you snickered.

“MWOH???”

“Yah! Just go!” you pushed him again.

Luhan was left with no choice but to hold Jiwon’s other hand.

“Jiwon-ah, LuLu is available only for today! Araseo?” you raised your voice.

She immediately blushed, fanning her face afterwards.

“Yah... Yah! YAH!!!” Sehun protested. “You can’t do that? She has to choose on her own!”

Everyone turned to him with a raised eyebrow.

“I mean… Right, Jiwon?” he asked her.

“Huh? I don’t mind at all!” she shrugged, and linked arms with her two escorts. “Gaja! Mom and dad are at the backyard waiting for us!”

“Weeee!” Seri ran ahead, clapping. “Can’t wait to see them!”

‘Holy ! It’s her parents! Eotteokke! Eotteokke!’ DO panicked.

‘Oh my god! Can I just stay here instead? I would rather get bitten by 10 werewolves than meet them!’ Sehun froze on the spot.