Prologue

Revenge

 

It was calm in the Block B apartment, an outstanding feat considering that all the members were forced inside due to the miserable weather. For once, there were no annoyed shouts at each other to finish getting ready, nor were there piles of take-out containers strewn about in place of actual meals. With no packed schedule to keep them busy, the laundry had finally managed to be finished and it was possible to actually see the floor again. Everything was finally organized, clean, and peaceful. This sort of tranquility extended to the members.

The usually hyperactive maknae was in one of the bedrooms with a stack of textbooks, begrudgingly studying for his exams. Every once and awhile, Taeil would check in on Jihoon, but the singer mostly spent his time lying on the main room couch, alternating between sleeping and reading. Jaehyo sat in the chair next to him on his laptop, his occasional snorts of laughter alerting the others when he wanted to share something. Minhyuk and Yukwon chose to forgo their original plans of dance practice in favor of playing their favourite fighting videogame. Playing in the same room as the others with their backs against the couch, it wasn’t hard for the two singers to notice that the dancers were practically glued to each other. However, other than exchanging a few smirks, nothing was said, and the comfortable atmosphere continued.

Jiho, the constant work-a-holic, was in the other bedroom working on his music. Whenever there was a quiet lapse in the game’s music, the leader’s muffled staccato rapping could be heard through the walls as he tried to figure out new lyrics. The only one missing was Kyung, who was away at his brother’s flute concert for the day.

Despite the rainy weather, the members were grateful for their moment of lazy relief.

SLAM.

WOO ING JIHO! Where are you so I can kill you!”

Kyung’s enraged shout rang throughout the small apartment that, coupled with the loud bang of the front door closing, quickly shattered the peace that had settled. With a collective groan, the boys shifted, anticipating their angry member’s entrance.

“Well, our dear Kyungie is home.” Taeil, who had been startled from his semi-nap from the door, grumbled. Jerking himself into a comfortable position facing the back of the couch, he pulled his beanie over his face in a clear avoidance of any further conversation. With a small snore, he promptly went still again. Yukwon glanced back at the singer and snorted, his ever-present smile growing at the elder’s annoyance.

“And he seems just so very happy!” Minhyuk added, rolling his eyes. Kyung was a raging force when mad—all yelling and flailing limbs—and the dancer really didn’t want to hear the younger man . Following Taeil, he hunched further down against the couch and put all of his concentration on the television screen. Jaehyo was sure that if he concentrated hard enough over the game’s music, he would no longer be able to hear Jiho rapping anymore. The leader would have gone dead silent at the sound of his friend’s outburst.

The four men could easily hear Kyung’s heated complaining as he flung off his shoes and threw his jacket into the closet, making as much noise as possible in his anger. Soon enough, Kyung stomped into the foyer with squinted eyes and lips curled into a snarl. Quickly scanning the room, he released an annoyed huff and tensely waved his hand towards everyone in the room. “Sorry, yo.”

Jaehyo and Minhyuk nodded back while Yukwon mumbled a quick “hey”. Looking around once more, Kyung exhaled harshly. “Do you guys—“

Conversation was halted when Minhyuk gave a loud groan and fell over at the same time Yukwon cheered and victoriously punched the air. Kyung huffed, and Jaehyo was positive that he could see his mouth twitch in restrained anger.

Do you guys know where Jiho is?”

“Why, what did the poor dongsaeng do?” Jaehyo asked. He seemed to be the only one to actually care about the answer since Yukwon and Minhyuk had already started up another round in their game, already tired of the conversation. The sub-vocalist watched Kyung flinch and struggle to find the appropriate words. Looking down, he noticed that the other man was twisting the handles of a large solid black bag in his hands. Jaehyo sighed—this boy was really too easy to read. “Do I even want to know?”

“…Not really.”

Yukwon, now interested, paused the game to take in the angry member’s appearance. “What’d you get, Kyung?” Instantly, the bag disappeared behind his back, and Kyung took a couple steps back. When Yukwon and Minhyuk laughed, he whined and stomped his foot.

“Can you s just tell me where Jiho is already? Damn!”

Still chuckling, Yukwon pointed to the correct bedroom door down the hallway, giving Kyung an encouraging shout to “have fun!” before starting the game back up. Kyung’s face heated up, and Minhyuk smirked at his friend’s embarrassment.

“Don’t worry; we won’t bother you, Kyungie.”

With a long-suffering sigh, Kyung gave one final glare at his so-called friends and promptly stomped down the hallway, black bag in tow.

The four men heard the loud rattle of the locked doorknob –obviously Jiho’s only form of defense—before several pounding raps against the wood mixed with Kyung’s shouted curses rang throughout the apartment. With bated breath, they waited for the inevitable click, exhaling when they finally heard the loud slam of the door closing.

Suddenly, Taeil snapped up, eyes wide and mouth set in a straight line. Crawling—and nearly falling—over the arm of the couch, he bounded out of the room and into the second bedroom. Seconds later, he re-emerged with an armful of textbooks and a confused Jihoon in tow. Setting them on the cushions of the couch, Taeil directed Jihoon to sit down before falling into the open spot next to him. Getting comfortable, he finally answered the maknae’s questions as he reached for the remote and turned the volume up on the television.

“With what’s about to happen, I think its best we all just stay out here.”

After an explosive round of laughter, the five men settled back into their positions, and it was calm in the apartment once more.

Well, at least in the main room.

 

 


I'm still working on the next part! It'll be a big one!! ;)