002

All You Need is Love

 


[ Chapter 002 ]

 

“Umma, are you sure you want to do this?”

 

My mother nodded without any hesitation, “Yes... I’m sure.”

 

I gave her a look, “Are you really sure? I mean, Auntie Pinghai is crying her eyes out for pete’s sake!” My mother winced at the tone of my voice and I quickly apologized, “I’m sorry, umma... It’s just that, you don’t look too sure about this.” I bit my bottom lip.

 

My mother gave me a small smile, “Don’t worry, sweetie. I’m really sure about this.” She turned to the airplane window and touched the glass with the tips of her fingers, “I don’t want to stay here in China anymore. I want to start a new life with just you and me.” My mother turned back to me and held my hand.

 

My eyes softened. So umma wants to move far, far away from him, huh? Then, I grinned, that’s even better! I don’t want to see this old man ever again. And after that long explanation of being whipped by him, I could see that my mother had finally hated his guts. But there was also a flash of sadness in her eyes. My mother noticed my sad expression and she spoke up, “You know, Gaolee-ah. They say that time heals everything. Are you ready to start a new life?” And forget all about him? I nodded. Yes! Yes, I am!

 

I gave her a small smile, “I am.” But I’m not so sure if time can heal everything so easily. It would be hard to forgive someone who you’ve been living with for fourteen years. Especially when that person is your father. But I’m willing to wait and see if time can really heal this deep wound in my heart.

 

Passengers, please put on your seatbelts. We will be taking off.

 

My mother squeezed my hand gently and five seconds later, the plane took off. I took a deep sigh, here we go. My new life starts now.

 

A few hours later...

I frowned and moved around my seat uncomfortably, “Umma, are we there yet? Ugh, I can’t sit any longer!” I whined. My mother opened her eyes and said, “Gaolee, what are you doing? It’s the middle of the night, go back to sleep.” I know that, but I can’t sit any longer! I’ve been sitting here for more than five hours and I swear, if this plane don’t land anytime soon, I’m jumping out the window. After a couple of uncomfortable movements, I finally gave up and sank down my seat with a grumpy look on my face.

 

And for some reason, I fell into a deep slumber.

 

In a very, very, very uncomfortable position.

 

Someone shook me gently, “Wake up, sweetie. We’re here.” I realized it was my mother and opened my eyes slowly. There was something wet by the side of my mouth and I made a disgusted face when I noticed what it was. Drool. Ugh, I hate drooling. I let out a yawn, grabbed my backpack, and got up following the other passengers on this plane. We exited out of the plane and stepped into the airport. I turned to my mother and gave her a look, ‘Where to now?’ My mother, who had lived in Korea in all of her life, dragged us towards the place where they had our luggages.

 

As we were making our way to the other side of the airport, I turned to her, “Wait, umma. Who did you said was picking us up?” Before my mother could reply, someone had screamed my mother’s name from all the way at the entrance of the airport. What the? I blinked and squinted my eyes to see a man about my father’s age, a woman about my mother’s age, and a daughter about my age. I shivered, this is really creepy. But who are they? I wonder... I slowly turned to my mother and noticed that her eyes were teary. Instantly, I touched my mother’s shoulder, “Umma, what’s wrong?”

 

The family ran over to us and the woman engulfed my mother into a tight, tight hug. My mother returned her hug and was already sobbing by now. What’s going on? Who are they? Then I noticed that the girl was staring at me with a bright smile on her face. I blinked at her with an expressionless face. After my mother’s done with her sobbing, she held me by my shoulder and said, “This is my daughter, Gaolee. I’m sure you still remember her.”

 

Remember me? Wha... The woman gave me a warm smile and pulled me into a hug, “Ah, yes! Gaolee-ah! I still remember you.” She cooed and cupped my cheeks, “Do you still remember us, dear?” Then she noticed the red line on my cheek but decided to ignore it.

 

I blinked in confusion, “I-I don’t remember...” Then something hit me and I gasped, “Ah! Wait a minute, I remember now! Aren’t you Auntie Han?” She smiled and I knew right away that she was Auntie Han. Auntie Han was my mother’s best friend, I remember. When I was born, she had always been the one watching over me when my parents are out. But I also remembered that she had a daughter named... uh... what was her name again? Oops. I scanned the three faces in front of me and my eyes landed on the girl. Auntie Han let go of my face. I made my way towards her and whispered, “...Y-You’re...” My voice trailed off.

 

I took a closer look at her face and realized then that she had been crying. A tear rolled down her cheek and without warning, she bear hugged me. She sobbed on my shoulder, “Gaolee! It’s been so long! I missed you so much! It was torture when you left that day! Thank goodness you’re back now! You changed so much! I-I-I-” I chuckled and patted her shoulder, “I missed you too.” She broke the hug and wiped away her tears, “Sorry, I just had to let that out.” She laughed which caused us all to laugh as well.

 

After the long memory chat, the Han’s helped my mother and I with our luggages. From now on, my mother and I will be living with them until we find our own house to live in. I smiled at the scene in front of me. Seoul was beautiful and I just realized now that I’ve missed my hometown so much. I took a sniff of the air and smiled, now this is the right oxygen for my new life. When we got to the Han’s house, we settled everything in. My mother will be having her own room and I will be sharing Soomi’s room with her.

 

It was still kind of early. My mother and Auntie Han were in the kitchen catching up on things. Uncle Han had to go back to work right away and so he bid us farewell. I was sitting on the couch in the living room, turning my head this way and that. Someone tapped me on my shoulder and I turned around to see that it was Soomi. She giggled, “Okay, umma said we can go. And I already called them to meet us at the park.”

 

I nodded and got up, “Alright, let’s go!” Earlier, Soomi had asked me if I wanted to meet some of her friends since there was nothing to do. I didn’t want to let her down so I just nodded my head. Before heading out, I stopped by the kitchen and asked my mother and Auntie Han if they were going to be fine on their own. My mother gave me a reassuring smile, “Don’t worry, sweetie. We’ll be fine.” Auntie Han chuckled.

 

I nodded hesitantly. I mean, we just left China and my father behind and I’m not really ready to leave my mother alone yet. Especially after all that had happened. I bit my bottom lip and asked, “Are you sure?” My mother nodded, “Yes, now go!” I made a face and asked again, “Are you really sure? I mean-” For the first time ever, my mother rolled her eyes at me and I could tell right away that she was finally at peace. So my mother really is starting a new life already, huh. She nodded, “Gaolee, stop being so stubborn and just go and have fun.” And before I knew it, Soomi and I were kicked out of the house.

 

I smiled. It’s a really good thing that my mother is finally at peace with nothing to worry about. And if my mother is at peace, I am too. I let out a relaxed sigh as Soomi dragged me along with her to a park. It wasn’t that long of a walk. Maybe about five minutes. I wonder what her friends are like... I furrowed my eyebrows in thought. Once we arrived, my eyes widened in horror at the sight in front of me. Soomi waved her arms happily, “Oppas and dongsaengs! We’re here!”

 

I see not 1, not 2, not,3 not 4, not 5 or 6 but... 10 boys by the park. Some of them were goofing around and calling each other names while the rest of them were just standing there, chatting amongst themselves. But once they heard Soomi’s call, their attentions were immediately on us. I gulped and my body started going numb. Did Soomi not know that I... I have a very strong hatred towards men? “S-Soomi?” I called her name. Soomi turned to me, “Yes, Gaolee?” But her smile was wiped off her face once she saw my pale face, “W-What’s wrong?” My eyes were still on the 10 boys, “My mother didn’t tell you, did she?”

 

Soomi blinked, “About what?”

 

Then, I turned to her and said, “I... have a very strong hatred towards men, Soomi.” But it was too late, the 10 boys were already making their way towards us. Soomi’s eyes widened.

 

...

 

Awkward.

 

That was the atmosphere right now. Well, for me it was. The boys were doing fine, actually. Being all dorky and chattery. After the introduction, some of them kept coming over to me and trying to start a conversation with me and let me tell you, I am socially awkward, especially with boys. And since there were 10 of them, it was hard trying to remember their names and which name belongs to who. We were sitting in the Han’s living room. My mother was worried about me at first but soon relaxed when she saw the personalities of these boys. They were friendly, alright but I still don’t trust them yet.

 

“Gaolee! Do you want to come with me to get water?” Asked Lay... or was it Chen? He flashed a smile and I could see that he had a very deep dimple on the left side of his cheek. I just nodded my head, “Sure.” I got up and followed him into the kitchen to grab some water bottles for them. It was awkward and quiet until Lay, I think, spoke up, “So, how old are you,  Gaolee?”

 

“17.” I simply answered. Then it was back to silence. Lay chuckled, “You don’t talk much, do you?” I pressed my lips into a thin line. Oh, I talk a lot, Lay. I talk a whole lot. Just not around strangers. We handed out the water bottles to them and took one for ourselves. One of them, I think his name was Kris, was on the phone. He hang up and announced, “Okay, they’re on their way.” Soomi giggled, “Yay! What were they doing anyway?” Tao wrapped an arm around Soomi’s neck, “They had to bid Sehun’s grandmother farewell because she’s leaving to Jeju Island tomorrow.”

 

I pulled Soomi to my side and Tao pouted, “Aw...” I ignored him and whispered to Soomi, “Sehun? Soomi, don’t tell me there are more coming...” I bit my bottom lip and stared at her. Soomi chuckled and shook her head, “Goodness, no! If there are more coming, I would die!” She noticed I wasn’t laughing and stopped. Soomi patted my shoulder, “Don’t worry, there are only two more coming.”

 

My eyes widened, “T-Two more?!” Soomi nodded innocently, “Mmm. Why? That’s not a lot.” I frowned and slapped her arm, “That makes 12 boys, Soomi, 12!” Soomi pouted cutely and rubbed her arm, “Owie... I know, I’m sorry. But you shouldn’t be afraid of them. These boys are really kind, honest.” She gave me her puppy eyes and I blinked at her, emotionless.

 

Kai, I think, the flirty one, interrupted our little whisper and peered his head in, “Afraid of who? Who’s kind? Tell me!” I turned to Soomi and pointed at Kai, “Is he always this nosy?” Soomi chuckled, “Always!” Kai frowned and threw a tantrum, “Hey! I’m still here, you know!” Surprisingly, I laughed. For the very first time when I arrived here. My mother saw and her eyes softened. Soomi as well because she squeezed my arm gently and said softly, “It’s good that you’re laughing again.” I smiled.

 

10 minutes later, the doorbell rang. Soomi quickly dashed to open the door, “I got it!” Two boys came walking in and entered the living room. The Exo boys greeted them in happiness, “Luhan hyung! Sehun!” I stopped laughing with Xiumin and Suho and turned around to meet the said boys. The moment my eyes connected with him, a tingling feeling entered my body and I shivered. He had deer like eyes and a cute baby face. His eyes blinked innocently at me and for some reason, I knew that there was something about this boy that would turn my life upside down. Soomi smiled and dragged him to me as well as the other boy.

 

She motioned towards me, “Luhan oppa, Sehunnie, meet my childhood friend, Gaolee!” The other boy, Sehun I think, gave me a bright smile and innocently waved at me, “Hi, noona! I’m Sehun!” I nodded and returned his smile. My eyes then shifted to Luhan. There was a long and silent stare between the two of us before he cracked a smile, “Hello, Gaolee. My name is Luhan.”

 

I blinked. I was mesmerized by his voice. It sounded so... soft and angelic. I quickly shook my head. Snap out of it, Gaolee! I gave him a cautious look and nodded, “Hi... Nice to meet you.”

 

He held out his hand, asking for a handshake but I didn’t dare shake his hand. The boys and Soomi noticed the weird atmosphere as well and cleared their throats. Soomi, knowing that Luhan loves to skinship, grabbed Luhan by the elbow and dragged him to the kitchen, “Luhan, can I speak with you for a minute?” Then, they disappeared.

 

The Exo boys went back to their normal bright selves and continued their teasings and chats. But me, I couldn’t go back to the funny conversation with Xiumin and Suho. I was too... numbed out by Luhan’s stare. It was like... like he saw through me or something. I noticed my heart was beating rapidly and I placed my hand on my chest, desperately trying to stop the beating. A few minutes later, Soomi and Luhan came back to the living room.

 

Suddenly, someone sat down next to me and I turned to see that it was Luhan. My eyes widened slightly and I froze in my spot. Luhan met my eyes and grinned. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and said, “So, Gaolee. Tell me about yourself.” His fingers squeezed my shoulder. On the outside, I was frozen but on the inside, I was screaming and pounding on the door to let my evil self out.

 

Luhan locked eyes with me and smirked.

 

And just from that small smirk, I knew that this boy was trouble to my new life.