Prologue

Heart Stealers

 

Prologue

 

 

 

I stood close to the edge of the water and giggled.

I wish Mommy was here to see how great at balancing I am!” I said as I tiptoed along the thick, square railing, the only thing keeping me away from the water. I was about six years old, never had a swimming lesson, but I sure was ready to try If I fell in. I stared into the water, sitting down and kicking my legs. Then something came up, close to the water. It was in the form of a woman. Though she looked really scary, and not like a stern diver who was coming to criticize me for being here alone. It was a woman with dark eyes and a well defined face. Almost skeletal as she stared at me. Only she wasn't exactly staring... she was glaring. As if a six year old child had been responsible for her death, glaring through the gaping holes of nothingness that were her eyes. I had seen a lot of them recently. Angry people who had lost their eyes as if accusing me of stealing them, they pointed at me. Normally after I ignored them for a while they would go away. But instead she stared and her stare began to soften. As if her anger was replaced with confusion.

Are you OK?” I asked.

She reached out to me then, unsure of what was happening I reached towards her. Not thinking of the consequences of the rushing river water, only of helping this woman. The next thing I remember is my mom grabbing me and yelling at me saying that she was worried sick and so scared looking for me. She whisked me off and the last glimpse of the woman I saw was her hand reaching through the railing and she was gone.