Unpleasant Lives

The Miracle Doctor

WOW! 76 subscribers??!! I don't deserve it! You guys are too kind!

Anyway, I apologize if the story seems slow at first. I have it all planned out, and unfortunately, in order to fully establish the situation between Kai and Eunjoo's separate lives, you'll have to wait a chapter or two more before they finally meet. Please continue to read and review ^^ I love feedback, no matter what kind!

 

 


 

Kai appeared in another city. He stumbled, a bit disoriented. Where was he? 

It was always the same. He'd focus on one area of South Korea for a while, and when he goes somewhere else, they're completely different than the last time he remembered. Skyscrapers and apartments suddenly took the place of what were once villages and fields. Humans really advanced so quickly into nature.

A few young girls passed by him, blushing and giggling and whispering to their friends. Kai's eyes took in everything: the slight rise in their heartbeat, the faint tinge of pink on their cheeks, the way their eyes darted towards him and away as if they didn't want to make it obvious they were looking. It was very strange, human behaviour. Kai just couldn't get enough of it.

Kai's stomach suddenly growled annoyingly. He sighed. Normally, he didn't need to eat. He could go without food for years. But every so often, he'd feel the urge to have something. Maybe it was just from being near humans for so long.

He found a street vendor selling giant puffy buns, and he grew curious. He walked over to them.

"Excuse me, sir, what are these?" he politely asked the man selling them. 

The man gave him a strange look, but simply said, "They're Beard Papa's cream puffs, of course. You can buy three for 5 607 won."

Kai stealthily twisted his wrist in a twirling motion. Once it complete the full circle, there was suddenly bills in his hand. He smiled and gave them to the man. "Thank you, sir. Good luck with the selling!"

The man took another quick glance at Kai's threadbare outfit, and presumed he must have been a traveler, maybe from the country. Either way, he was a well-mannered young boy.

Kai munched on the large cream puffs, delighted at the sweet taste. He wandered around the city, staring at the pretty lights and funny window displays, until it started to get dark.

Now he needed to find a place to sleep. Kai wished he could just teleport, but he was in a crowded street. It was irritating having to constantly hide his magic from the humans, but he only wanted his customers to see his magic. Where was the fun in it otherwise?

Luckily, Kai found a department store and hurried in. He smiled at the workers who greeted him (warning him they were closing in an hour) and found the nearest bathroom. Once he was in a stall, he closed his eyes and snapped his fingers.

He felt a cool breeze on his cheeks. He opened his eyes and smiled. He was now standing on top of a skyscraper building. For once, the sky wasn't covered by pollution or clouds, and he could vaguely see stars twinkling invitingly up at him. He always felt close to the stars. They felt like home.

Kai lazily stretched out on the rooftop, staring up at the night sky. He'll find a customer tomorrow.

 

 


 

 

He found her.

Kai had woken up early that morning and immediately went on a hunt, not plagued by fatigue or laziness like humans were.

This woman seemed very kind. She worked at some sort of animal hospital, which meant she helped animals for a living, right? She was very kind to everyone, and polite. Plus, Kai saw her hurry over to help an old woman cross the street.

However, she also looked very sad, and her smile dropped whenever she thought nobody was looking. Kai could use his magic to help her, make her happier!

He wanted to go there right away, but the woman looked very busy. All sorts of pets kept coming in, and she was working very hard.

"I just have to wait until a bit later, I suppose," he mumbled without realizing it. Then he groaned. After working alone for seventy years, he developed some rather embarrassing habits. Such as saying things out loud. 

"I really need to stop that," he muttered, then immediately realized what he did and smacked his forehead with his palm.

He waited until evening fell. The woman said goodbye to her assistant and started to close up the shop. Kai watched with interest as the funny electric blue sign at the front flickered and turned off, signifying the place must be "closed". Finally, he snapped his fingers and teleported into the vetinary office.

The woman turned around and gave a shrill scream. Kai winced and staggered backwards from the sound. His ears worked a little TOO well for this. 

"P-please don't scream!" he begged. "I'm not going to hurt you!"

The woman stopped screaming, but she shuffled away, as if afraid Kai might suddenly vault at her and attack. Her eyes darted towards a pair of scissors on the counter. "W-who are you? How did you get here?"

"I'm magic!" Kai beamed at her, hoping he would appear friendly enough so she wouldn't run away or stab him. "I am the Miracle Doctor. You can choose a wish -- any wish -- from me, and I will make it happen!"

The woman stared at him warily, but she seemed more curious than afraid now. "M-magic? How?"

"Like this, see?" He snapped his fingers and did his teleport trick. That always got them to believe.

"I will warn you now, though," Kai said, immediately moving into his balance speech. "My magic will take your words literally, so please be careful with how you word your wish. As well, you will have to experience despair that is equal to the amount of happiness you receive from your miracle. I know it sounds cruel, but it's just the balance of nature. Do you understand?"

The woman nodded, her face falling. "Well, I don't think I can experience any grief greater than what I have now."

"Will you tell me about it?" Kai asked sympathetically, feeling his heart go out to these poor humans and their worries. He found a small stool and sat down on it. The woman simply sat on the floor.

"I ... I just found out ... three days ago ... m-my husband has been having an ... an af-affair." The woman's lips quivered, and her eyes teared up at the very mention of the word. Kai nodded solemnly, quickly assuming an expression of sadness and horror on his face. He wasn't exactly sure what 'affair' meant, only that humans seemed to be obsessed with it. He knew it had something to do with doing something bad to someone you were supposed to love. Why were they so complicated?

"I-I ... I haven't told anyone ... I don't want them to worry ... b-but ... we've been married for twenty years ... a-and now he does this to me? After all I've done for him? Why would he do this to me?!" Here, she started to bawl. Kai winced when he heard the sound -- he hated the wailing noise humans made when they cried, it made his stomach twist up -- and tried to wait it out.

The woman's sobs died down, and she sniffled a bit, going quiet. Finally, she looked up, eyes light with a kind of wicked fire.

"This is my wish. I wish that my husband feels so -- so disgusted with himself, so full of remorse and guilt with what he's done! I want the guilt to consume him! That's the only miracle you can give me right now, Doctor!"

Kai felt his face fall. That was her wish? He felt the panic slowly start to settle in his chest; it was happening again. Every time he wanted to make someone happy, they changed. He found good people who did good things, and almost every single time they made a greedy, selfish, cruel wish. He didn't understand. He saw them, they were good people! So why ...?

"That is your wish?" Kai repeated, horrified. "Please, I beg of you to reconsider ... too much can go wrong from that miracle!"

"That's the only miracle I can have!" the woman yelled back, rubbing at the tear stains on her cheeks. "That ... that's the only thing that could make me happy. For my husband to feel remorse. Maybe then ... when he comes crawling back to me ... maybe then I can feel happiness."

Kai sighed, his previous good mood gone. "And so it shall be done."

"Thank you, Doctor! Thank you!" the woman immediately got up and ran out to go back home, so excited of the prospect of seeing her husband feel guilt for what he's done that she forgot to lock up. Kai turned himself invisible and silently followed her to see what the wish has done. He looked back at the vetinary clinic and waved his hand. The doors locked by themselves.

Kai followed behind her car at a leisurely pace. He was regretting making that wish. But he made it a rule that once he chose someone as a customer, he had to give them whatever miracle they wanted, no take-backs or refusals. He was just worried about exactly what his wish did this time.

The woman was already home by the time Kai appeared. She and her husband must have been rich; they lived in the outskirts of the city and owned a townhouse to themselves. The lights were on ... Kai felt hope rise. Maybe nothing bad happened. Maybe --

A scream cut through the air, terrified and high-pitched. He spoke too soon.

Kai teleported into the house. "Are you okay?" he yelled. "Miss?" He followed the sound of the scream and reached some sort of home office, where the woman was clutching at her husband. Kai felt his stomach drop when he saw the blood gushing from a wound in the man's head, a gun on the floor beside him.

"Oh, god, no ..." he whispered.

"What happened?!! What happened??!!" the woman howled, weeping. She was holding onto her husband tightly, not caring that the blood was getting all over her clothes. "This wasn't supposed to happen! This wasn't supposed to HAPPEN!"

"The wish ..." Kai mumbled, feeling shock and dread seep through his pores. "You wished he would feel extreme guilt and remorse. He ... he did. He felt so disgusted over what he did to you ... h-he shot himself."

"No! No no NO!" the woman screamed. "He can't -- he can't be -- p-please, Doctor! I beg of you! Please, redo the wish! Take it back -- PLEASE!"

"I can't," Kai shook his head, coldness washing over him, starting from his fingers and toes upward. It was like being turned to stone. "I-I can't, I'm so sorry. I can't take back a miracle."

"You call this a miracle? DO YOU?!" The woman him, tears pouring from her eyes and down her face, smudging her makeup and leaving grisly black trails. There was cold hate in her expression. "You did this! You did this on purpose! You ... you're a monster! A demon!"

No. No. This wasn't supposed to happen. Kai felt his heart break. "I'm sorry," he whispered, backing away. "I'm sorry, I really am ... I ... I ... I can't control miracles."

The woman ignored him and turned back to her husband, sobbing.

"I ... I ..." Kai's face crumpled. "Why can't you humans ever understand balance? Why can't you understand that every good thing must have a bad thing in return? Why ... why are good people never that good after all?"

And with that, he snapped his fingers and disappeared.

 

 


 

 

"Yah! Bae Eunjoo!"

Eunjoo winced as a boy in her class came up to her, slapping her on the back in an over-the-top friendly manner. Her back ached.

"The boys and I are playing soccer after this. Do you think you can finish my homework for me?"

Before Eunjoo could say anything, the crumpled sheet of paper was already flung onto her desk. "Thanks!"

Snickering, the boys walked away. Eunjoo sighed and looked at the paper. He would keep bothering her if she didn't do it.

She began to work on the questions as a few girls passed by her desk. One of them bumped their hips into the desk, jolting it and causing Eunjoo's pencil to richochet off the paper, making a dark line over a quarter of the page.

"So, then I said --" the girl continued on, completely ignoring Eunjoo. Eunjoo grimaced and began to erase the mark without complaint. Maybe the girl was just too busy with what she was saying ...

Just as the girls were leaving the class, the girl once again bumped into another desk. Except this time, she turned around and immediately said, "Oh, gosh! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to!" to the person. 

Eunjoo hung her head. Yeah, right. Too busy? It was just because it's Eunjoo.

The bell rang for lunch break, and everyone who hadn't already left did now, laughing and joking around with friends, making plans for after school. Unfortunately, Eunjoo didn't have any plans. She also didn't have any friends. She used to, but not anymore.

"Getting another detention in math class, Eunjoo?" one girl called out. Eunjoo's cheeks burned as she ducked her head. "Gonna scream like a pig again?"

"She was just doing it for attention, ignore her," another muttered.

She hadn't. The girl who first called out at her had stuck a pin on her chair, and Eunjoo did scream -- a very embarrassing, high-pitched, squealing scream -- when she sat on it. She got detention from the teacher, and her hurt for hours afterwards.

This was Eunjoo's school life. Once, she was like the other girls. She had a small group of close-knit friends that did everything together, and promised to be best friends and all that. Then something happened (she didn't know what), and everything began to fall apart. The first to go down was Moon Okbin, her used-to-be best friend. Then, like dominoes, her other friends and acquaintances all distanced themselves from her. Now, nobody talked to her, and Okbin was her main bully.

The kids in her class all hated her. They threw things at her back in class, tried to get her in trouble with the teachers (who didn't like her anyway due to her bad grades), forced her to do their homework or buy them cigarettes, and constantly used her as some sort of slave to do little errands for them. Eunjoo just couldn't say no. She didn't have the courage to stand up and tell them to back off. So she did what they said and hoped they would grow up and go away. 

But it'll be alright! Eunjoo tried to think positively, even when she was at least twenty minutes late into the lunch period as she struggled over her classmate's math homework. After all, she had her heartthrob new boyfriend Jaehwan to look forward to every day!

A small smile spreading across her face, Eunjoo rushed out of the room and headed to where Jaehwan's locker was. She had a special lunch box she made just for him, that she woke up extra early this morning to make. She hoped he would like it ...

She rounded the corner and froze.

There was Jaehwan -- she'd memorized the exact shade of his hair and the way it fell across his face and ears so cutely -- and he was at his locker. But he was also pushing another girl against the wall, their lips fused together.

She also knew that girl as well.

They broke apart, gasping and giggling, flushed red. The girl whispered something in his ear and touched his forearm. She was a pretty girl with a small face and full black hair pulled back with a simple red headband.

She was Moon Okbin.

Okbin turned, noticing Eunjoo standing there in horror and shock. Their eyes met. Okbin's lips curled up into a sneer. Jaehwan didn't even spare a glance in her direction. He was too preoccupied with Okbin. 

Eunjoo took a big, gasping, shaking breath and ran away, tears filling up her vision and blurring the scenery around her. She knew people could see her -- some were laughing and pointing -- but she ignored them, running as far away as she could.

Her life had officially hit  rock-bottom.