A Winter Lunch

A Winter Lunch

 

 

I saw you again standing on the concrete floor.

 

 

I don’t know how long it has been since I saw those hazel eyes and that sweet smile, probably almost a year; but surely… it still got me.

 

 

You approached me and gave me the warmest hug I’ve ever received all throughout winter. I couldn’t deny that you still made my heart fill up with glee and at the same time ache like all the misery just happened a moment ago.

 

 

“I missed you, Yul!” You cheered as I felt your hot breath combing my hair.

 

 

“I missed you too…” I forced to sound as cheerful as you were.

 

 

I thought that I no longer loved you; that the feeling of seeing you is just nostalgic.

 

 

I have moved on already… that’s what I believed in. I still cared about you, I just realized that what we had back then wasn’t supposed to last.

 

 

I wanted to cry when you insisted to treat me to lunch. All I could give was a weak nod.

 

 

We sat across the table like old times.

 

 

I couldn’t deny that your face lit up every time you’d look at me. Were you as broken as I was when we parted?

 

 

We ate together and shared an almost, normal conversation.

 

 

You shared about your work and so did I.

 

 

It wasn’t long ‘till we started to drive on memory lane.

 

 

We reminisced the times when we once shared an apartment together; the times when we only wore our underwear when our ac would break down.

 

 

The word love was also slipped in our conversation. It was awkward for me but you didn’t seem to act the same.

 

 

I felt myself sighing in relief when you said you never dated anyone after me; I hope you didn’t notice. You’re Jessica Jung, every guy and girl who meets you instantly falls in love with you, and for the past year, you chose to be alone… after me.

 

 

You tried your best to hold your laughter as you took a sip from your iced tea. That adorable face still hasn’t changed.

 

 

Come to think of it, we had the best relationship. I started to wonder where it all went wrong.

 

 

We stepped outside of the restaurant when we finally reached the awkward moment. How should we bid our goodbyes?

 

 

A handshake is too formal; a kiss on the cheek is too familiar; and a hug would just be too painful for me.

 

 

I decided to just wave goodbye before you got too close.

 

 

I thanked you for the lovely meal and smiled softly at you… but it didn’t seem to meet your satisfaction.

 

 

As I was about to walk away, you grabbed my hand drew me close enough to feel the heat of your body.

 

 

You wrapped your arms around my waist and felt your lips placed on the crook of my neck.

 

 

I took sharp, short breaths as I felt my heart beating fast; not knowing what will happen next.

 

 

I want you back…” You mumbled before laying a gentle kiss on my neck; my weak spot.

 

 

I didn’t know how to respond but one thing is for sure…

 

 

I never stopped loving you after all…