Music in our ears

Shining stars

 

            "Stars seem to hide their beauty. Like they are scared to shine. To show who they really are." Is what he said. The smaller one next to me finally spoke that night. A day of silence, a day of serenity, a day of beauty. His hair fell from his forehead, his glasses reflected the glow of embers in the sky. We laid silently staring to the stars in the sky. The fire was the only thing keeping us warm, other than our own body heat radiating from each other. The night was perfect, the sky so dark you saw every speckle of glitter scatter across the abyss of dark blue. As I shifted my eyes down to look at the other next to me, I nodded. He was right. The stars emanated only a true beauty no one would understand. Not even the stars themselves could see them shine. Taeil was that star. The one who didn't comprehend to who he was. He looked around thinking he was alone in a sea of people. This summer was going to change that. Only god can label the stars in the order of their beauty. We laid there heads to the ground, eyes to the sky. That night he seemed so content with just being away. Being away at camp without anyone else to bother him. Only I was allowed he said. So tonight I decided to go. I don't regret it. Laying next to Taeil staring lazily at misunderstood stars was just the night I was looking for. "You're like those stars you know?" I had answered that night. He never moved, not a twitch or a blink. I couldn't even see his eyes, they were hidden by the flames of the fire in his glasses. That night I was going to say something, something that might change the world as I saw it. "You don't understand why lies in you. You think you're alone, seeing all the others stars shine. Thinking that maybe you don't shine enough." I remained looking up, with my hand laying on my stomach. One hand laying to my side. I decided to lift it and squint one eye pretending to grab one star. Taeil only watched me, he was confused and speechless, but I knew, he knew what I was talking about. "You don't think you shine enough...am I right?" I came out with the ugly truth. "Well maybe, you don't know. You don't know that you shine so bright, that you're blinded by you're own beauty." I took my pretend star and placed it back down to my side, holding it tight like I never wanted to let it go. Small fingers wrapped around mine, Taeil continued looking up. He held my fist clenched and smiled slightly as the fire glow hit his face. Smiling to the warmth of the others hand, I opened it and let his fingers snake through mine. Releasing a glowing lighting bug fly into the air. "Maybe I don't see myself shine. But I know someone will..." That's all there was left to say. Holding hands, looking up at the night sky was my perfect summer. I smiled in the last moment, not wanting it to end. The music played in our ears and at that moment, I swear. We we're infinite.
 
                            Sincerely and Always,
                                  Pyo Jihoon.
 
---------------
This is a short entry by Pyo Jihoon I made up. He's teaching you to look up at the stars and look at them shining. Because YOU are like those stars. You are beautiful no matter what they say. You shine brighter than anyone you know. Even if you don't see it, someone will see it.