Chapter 01: Escape into the City

Wolf: Let out the Beast

The full moon shone its brilliant silver light on the dark forest as a shadowy figure dashed stealthily throughout the thick bushes. Closely followed behind the shadowy figure are the violent cracking sounds of snapping branches and dry leaves being stomped.

The figure accelerate its speed. It wasn't long before the sounds stopped and forest become quiet and peaceful again.

 


 

With heavy steps and tattered clothes, a teenager with dreadlocks walked sluggishly in barefoot through the city empty alley. The teenager eventually slumped on the ground, closed his eyes and panting hard for air. The teenager then slowly opened his eyes and studied his condition; sweat still rolling nonstop from his head, his clothes are tattered and soaked by his sweat, small fresh scratches clearly visible on his arms and legs.


"Calm down Kai, calm down" murmured the teenager. "They will never come here, not in the heart of the city"

Kai jerked when he suddenly heard noises at the edge of the alley. Kai got himself again and looked around. He closed his eyes and focused, he eventually detected several voices; one is distressed while others are sinister. Kai was thinking of ignoring it, not wanted to get himself involved with the humans' affairs when an idea ran into his head.

Kai walked towards the end of the alley and at the turn of the corner Kai spotted a young man, seemly around his age being cornered by four well-build thugs. Kai slowly and stealthily approached them. One of them eventually realized Kai approaching, Kai instantly dashed towards him and forcefully shoved the thug into the wall, knocking him out of cold.

The other three thugs were taken by surprised but when they turned around Kai is nowhere to be seen. One of them eventually took out a pocket knife and begin to threaten.

"Come out! Come out!"

Then without warning, another one of them was violently shoved on the wall as well and knocked out. The thug with the pocket knife began to panic when his last standing friend was also shoved into the wall and knocked out cold as well.

Now the thug with the pocket knife is alone. Then he saw Kai at the edge of the corner. Kai slowly approached the thug and he began to swing his pocket knife frantically.  Kai stretched his head, arrogant smile appeared on his lips.

The next thing the thug knows Kai was right in front of him and his hand with the pocket knife was held firmly by Kai. He tried to move his hand but it refused to budged. Kai grinned as he  violently twisted the thug's arm causing him to drop the pocket knife. The thug begin to scream in pain, Kai grabbed the thug's throat, causing him to silence. Then in one swing Kai thrown the thug on the wall, knocking him out of cold.

Kai looked on the four unconscious thugs laying on the floor. After several seconds studying them Kai eventually approached one of them; the one who is wearing stylish black hoodie with a white wolf design graffiti as motive. Kai kneeling next to the thug and begin to strip him.

The young man whom was cornered by the thugs earlier remained frozen at the corner as he watched Kai stripping the thug to nothing but boxer. The young man eventually took all his courage and approached Kai.

"Uuuuh....sir....thank you sir....."

Without bothering to turn to have a look at the grateful young man, Kai lazily raised his right hand, signaling it's ok as he begin to undress himself and dressed himself with the thugs outfit. The young man however was undeterred.

"It's there anything I can help you?"

Kai sighed and turned, completely annoyed.

Kai finally have a close look at the young man; he appeared either in his late teens or early twenties, he have a slender body, his hair is neatly comb and prim while his face flashed sincerity. He was wearing a green plaid jacket, beneath it is a plain white t-shirt with a worn-out dark blue jeans, and a black-colored snickers. On his hand is a brown recycled paper bag.

"Look here, you're welcome. I'm fine. Why don't you go home before you’re going to get caught by another thugs, coz next time I will not going to save you again"

The young man become silent. Then he opened his paper bag, for awhile he search for something before handled it to Kai. "At least have this as a token of gratitude"

Not wanted to be bothered further, with an obvious uninterested expression Kai took it; a clear glass bottle with a thick green-colored liquid inside. Kai raised his eyebrow as he studied the content of the bottle.

"It may look unappetizing" said the young man said sheepishly. "But trust me this energy drink really works. I believe you might need it"

The young man gave Kai a bow and walked away. Kai looked at the bottle again and was thinking of throwing it away when he had a second thought and put it inside the hoodie large pocket. Kai then kneeled over all the four thugs, grabbed each of their wallets, took the money and tossed away the wallets.

Kai gave another glanced on the thugs. Another smile of flashed on his face, a smile of triumph and he confidentially walked out of the alley, blending himself into the crowd in the city.

 


 

Kai slumped himself on the soft bed. Despite had taken money from the four thugs, after calculating he realized he had collected barely 50,000 won. Although Kai wanted to stay overnight in the open to save the money, he realized he need to keep hidden for awhile and checked himself in a cheap motel in the downtown area.

 

Kai closed his eyes.

 


 

“Remember Kai, do not be late for tonight!”

Kai looked over his shoulder, as his distant cousin Xiumin approaching him. On his hand is a half-eaten dumpling and Kai can see Xiumin’s mouth making a munching motion. “Did you heard me earlier? Don’t be late for tonight-otherwise me and Hyunjin will leave you behind” joked Xiumin.

Kai gave his cousin an arrogant smile. “Perhaps it will be waiting for you guys”. Xiumin snickered. “Yea yea I know, you will be settling it in a flash”

“In a flash” Kai mimicked Xiumin words.

Xiumin shook his head and giggled, as he slowly took another bite of his dumpling. Kai turned and headed towards two muscular man donned in a full dark brown-colored leather robe with western medieval-era style. Then the three of them disappeared into the dark forest.

The sky is dark as the moon was covered by the thick dark clouds, the forest is completely pitch black but none of them having trouble navigating in the forest; with their wolf night vision, they walked easily in the dark forest as if they were having a stroll in a bright daylight.

After walking for almost thirty minutes, the three of them arrived to a place where Kai is very familiar with; the Trails of the Moon ritual altar. Kai had been here twice, and he was very proud he passed his previous two trials at ease. He believed the third one would be as easy as the previous ones.

The altar located in a small valley with high grounds surrounded it. The two man took out another similar looking robe from the wooden chest near the altar and handle it  to Kai. Kai obediently wears it, then he proceed to the altar confidently while the two men proceed to the higher ground.

Kai stand still on the altar and stared into the sky. Now all he needs to do is to wait the clouds to move away and to reveal the full moon. After waiting for quite sometimes, Kai’s neck begin to feel sore.

Then it finally happened. The clouds moves away and revealed the full moon. The full moon brilliant silver lights shone directly on the forest, bathed the forest with beautiful silver light. Kai stared at the full moon with amazement. No matter how often he had seen the full moon, its beauty never fail to mesmerize him.

Kai felt peaceful whenever he look at the full moon. He was about to close his eyes to let himself drowned by the tranquility of the night when he suddenly felt a violent sensation boiling inside him. Kai began to felt restless, beads of hot sweats begin to rolling down from his head, his chest felt heavy and hot, and his body begin to shiver in cold.

Kai hugged his body, trying to warm himself. His body begin to shake, Kai tighten his grip. Kai begin to feel his blood boiling, his suddenly felt a pang of extreme hunger, and for no reason he felt very angry.

  Kai dropped on the floor, panting hard, e then managed to get himself kneeling. But before he could stand up again, his eyes had turned into eerie golden color. Kai howled and his body sprout black-colored hairs which slowly turned into black-colored fur. Kai howled again.

Soon what standing on the altar is no longer a human, but a vicious werewolf frantically looking for a fresh meat. The werewolf let out another howl, but unlike the previous one, this time the howling sounded more eerie and threatening. Nearby animals ran, as if they know their impending doom.

Werewolf Kai attempted to leave the altar when the full moon suddenly being covered by the clouds again. Slowly Kai suffered an agonizing pain as he slowly transformed into his human self. Kai was in deep shocked and disoriented. He looked on himself, his clothes are tattered, the robe was completely shredded, and so does his shoes.

Kai looked up and he can see the two man’ eyes had turned red. He realized he is in trouble; they will bring him back to the Wolf Council to have him executed. Kai knew he had to run. Without waiting further, Kai dashed into the dark forest and sure enough the two man went after him.

Kai is extremely tired after his sudden back double transformations but he knew he would had a grim future if he did not escape from the council. Not far from him he can hear his pursuers getting near to him. Luckily for Kai he is very familiar with the forest. For years he, along with his cousins Xiumin and Hyunjin had been using the forest as their playground.

Kai then remembered that the wolves had made a border at the end of the forest. Most wolves did not cross over it as by the end of forest lies the human-community city. Armed with this knowledge Kai accelerate his speed, praying that the two man did not continue to pursue him once he crossed the border.

Kai finally can sensed he is nearing the border. Then the next thing he knew he was running on a human-made tar road. Kai turned his back and could not see his pursuers, no hearing any sounds. The night was quiet. He knew he had managed to lose them but refusing to take the risk, Kai decided to head to the city, where he is more confident the wolves wouldn’t dare to come.

 


 

Kai opened his eyes and stared blankly on the white fan spinning on the ceiling. Kai closed his eyes again and try to get himself sleep.

Suddenly Kai sensed something that caused him to flinch. Kai instantly get himself up and away from the bed and back himself on the wall. A single cold sweat rolled down from his head.

He sensed a wolf nearby.

No way?! Did they really comes this far??