III

Like Milk and Sugar

 

Jongdae flipped the pancakes, humming softly to himself in the kitchen. Lu Han was out in the customer area, playing with a Rubix cube, as Jongdae had insisted on making breakfast alone. The latter smiled softly to himself. Last night had turned out to be one of the best nights of sleep he had ever had, despite having to sleep on the floor on a pile of spare blankets.
 
It hadn't been awkward at all. Lu Han has fallen asleep first, and Jongdae opted to stay up a little longer to study Lu Han's features properly. His tall nose, his pouty lips parted slightly, his hair splayed across the pillow- Jongdae found him mesmerizing.
 
Thump, thump. Jongdae laid his hand over his chest. Just thinking about the other man had his heart pumping wildly against his ribcage. Could he have already fallen for Lu Han? They had only met yesterday, and Jongdae didn't believe in love at first sight. But it seemed that his body thought otherwise.
Jongdae already knew he was gay, of course. He had come out years ago, when he was a sophomore in high school. His friends and family had been completely understanding, and treated him no different from before. Luckily, Jongdae had never been a victim of bullying because of his uality, and he knew exactly how fortunate he was. The problem was, was Lu Han like him?
 
The small man snapped out his thoughts at the smell of smoke. He sniffed the air, trying to locate the source of the smell as he glanced around.
 
"FIRE!" All of a sudden, Lu Han burst into the room, wielding a fire extinguisher he must've found under the cash register. He rushed towards Jongdae, pushing him out of the way as he aimed the nozzle at the burning pancakes.
 
Eyes widening, Jongdae flailed his hands around, unsure of what to do. He was saved from making any kind of decision when the last flame went out under white foam. "Oh my- Oh my God," he said, after a beat of silence, "I'm so sorry, oh my God." The pancakes had been completely forgotten when Jongdae's mind had drifted towards Lu Han. And now said man was standing in front of him, chest rising and falling rapidly as he stared at their breakfast. "I really am sorry," Jongdae repeated hesitantly when Lu Han didn't reply.
 
Finally, he spoke. "You are stupid," he said, turning to face the wary man. Then he grinned, showcasing his white teeth. "So, it's a good thing I was here, right?" he asked cockily, raising an eyebrow exaggeratedly.
 
Relaxing, Jongdae smiled softly. "Keep telling yourself that."
 
The two of them ended up scrapping the pancakes and settling for cereal Lu Han found in one of the cupboards. They ate quietly out in the dining area, each lost in his own thoughts. Only the occasional slurp was heard as they sipped at their milk.
 
Once they finished, Lu Han and Jongdae gathered up their bowls and spoons, and brought them back to the kitchen, still settled in comfortable silence. The peace was broken just a few moments later, when Jongdae attempted to begin washing the dishes.
 
"Nope," Lu Han tugged the sponge out of the other's hand, "I'm doing that."
 
"But you saved my cafe!" Jongdae protested, "It would've been a pile of ashes without you!"
 
"Without me, you wouldn't have been stuck here overnight in the first place. You would've gone home on time, and been able to sleep in your own bed" Lu Han reminded him.
 
"But I liked staying here with you," Jongdae mumbled quietly; Lu Han didn't catch it. It was true, he realized. He, Kim Jongdae, had enjoyed the night sleeping on the cold, hard, dirty floor better than his luxuriously soft bed, just because of Lu Han. Lu Han, with his baby face that didn't match his age, his witty and sarcastic tongue, and his power to make Jongdae's heart dance in his chest. Finally, he had to admit it to himself. Jongdae had somehow fallen completely in love with the beautiful Chinese man. The beautiful, adorable, precious- why was the water running?
 
Jongdae spun around only to find said man already halfway through the dishes, humming softly to himself as he set the clean silverware onto the counter. Even his voice is beautiful Jongdae thought to himself in wonder. "You zone out a lot," Lu Han said calmly, looking up at Jongdae while he sponged a bowl.
 
"I-" Jongdae started. He sighed in defeat. "I guess I do."
 
Since Lu Han got to wash them, Jongdae insisted on drying them, carefully wiping each one before putting it in its proper place. Afterwards, the two walked to the front door, and stopped.
 
Jongdae spoke up first, "I, uh, guess this is it then..."  He halted, unsure of what else to say.
 
"Is it?" Lu Han asked in a voice that Jongdae had to strain to hear.
 
Then all of a sudden, a pair of lips were against Jongdae's, pressing urgently on him. He was stunned for a second, then he was kissing Lu Han back with just as much fierce, arms wrapping around the latter's waist as Lu Han tangled his fingers in Jongdae's hair. Jongdae felt Lu Han smile before he pulled away, still grinning at the Korean man.
 
"Call me," he said, the corners of his mouth threatening to reach his ears. He stuck a pink Post-It note on Jongdae's forehead as he spun around and left the cafe, whistling to himself as he glanced back at Jongdae. Wrapping his fingers into a heart shape, the baby-faced man tossed it at the latter and blew him a kiss. Then, he turned around for the final time, and strolled away, still whistling.
 
Jongdae stood glued to his position by the door. Then, slowly, he touched a finger to his still tingling lips, a smile spreading widely across his face, displaying his prominent cheekbones.
 
Pulling his phone out of his pocket, Jongdae typed in the number on the Post-It he had pulled of his forehead.
 
"Hey," he spoke into the phone, his smile evident in his voice, "Are you free tomorrow night?"
 
 
 
 
 
so i'm really sorry for not updating! i've been busy with extra classes and such. :c
 
i hope the ending didn't disappoint anybody! honestly, i was thinking about making this story maybe twenty chapters long, but i i didn't know whether i had the time, andi didn't want to keep people waiting. i'm a bit embarrassed now, bc this whole story could've just been a one shot. oh well. 
 
thank you so much to all who subcribed- i gained many more subs than i had hoped for! have a nice day/night wherever you are!