I

Like Milk and Sugar

 

Jongdae sighed as he wiped the countertop for the nth time. Business was slow, as usual, and with the end of the month coming soon, he had all the reason to worry. People had stopped coming by to his little corner coffee shop for a warm mug of joe, opting instead for the convenience of plastic to-go cups of the Starbucks a couple blocks down.
 
Just as Jongdae was about to close up early for the night, the door chimes softly announced the arrival of a lean young man shuffling into the cafe. His head was bowed, and all Jongdae could see was a mop of wavy dark hair peeking out from beneath his beanie, sparkling flakes of snow decorating his locks. 
 
Upon reaching the counter, the man finally lifted his head, and Jongdae felt all the air leave his lungs. This man was beautiful. With clear skin, a tall nose, and twinkling brown eyes, he resembled a life-like a porcelain doll. 
 
He coughed, and Jongdae was shaken out of his stupor when he realized he was staring. "I-I'm sorry!" he exclaimed loudly, then winced at how unnaturally high his voice was. Clearing his throat, he tried again. "May I take your order."
 
Hesitantly, the man replied, "One hot chocolate please." His voice was soft, and there was a foreign lilt to his words.
 
"Name for your order?" Jongdae questioned, already starting to warm up the milk. The question was more out of courtesy than need really, seeing as the cafe was empty save the two of them.
 
"Lu Han," the man said. Definitely not Korean. Jongdae thought to himself.
 
Instead of waiting for his order at one of the surrounding tables, Lu Han chose instead to watch Jongdae make his order. Jongdae felt strangely uncomfortable, though Lu Han's eyes held only curiosity. His hands trembled as he mixed the drink, and he struggled to steady them before handing the final product to Lu Han.
 
Rather than heading towards an empty table immediately, Lu Han lingered at the counter. Noticing his hesitance, Jongdae began to ask if he needed any help. Lu Han shook his head fiercely. Cute. He thought, then shook himself a little. What was he thinking about another man? Just as Jongdae's mind began to wander off, Lu Han spoke up. "Will you sit with me?"
 
Jongdae gaped at the other man. "Me?" he questioned, pointing at himself.
 
Lu Han giggled melodiously, "Yes, you." Jongdae gave him a shy smile, and decided that he rather liked the way Lu Han's words went up and down sporadically, and how he carefully pronounced each syllable, like they were treasures to be carefully handled. And maybe they were.
 
"Sure," Jongdae said, the smile still remaining on his face, "I'll sit with you."
 
 
okay so it's super short. but there's more i promise! i just wanted to get this out, bc i've been procrastinating whoops. i'll try to get the next update out asap! thanks for reading. :*
also: no beta, so sorry for mistakes!