Fried Tofu Cake

Fried Tofu Cake [oneshot]

 

Once upon a time in South Korea, there lived a quixotic creature named Lanny Jung. She’s hardworking, obedient and perseverant. She works as a waitress, janitress, dishwasher and cashier in Beauty and Prejudice, a café for book lovers and writers.

Patrons love the café for its comfy ambience, scrumptious meals, large library and Lanny. They love her because of her “hopeless romanticism” and flair for answering love problems. The paradox of her talent is that she has zilch love life — novels are behind her romantic brain.

One day, her manager Yoo Young Jae introduced the staff of Beauty and Prejudice to a new employee. “Guys, I would like you to meet Jung Dae Hyun, your new teammate. Lanny, –  Lanny looks at Mr. Yoo – you’re in charge of him. All of you, stay strong and fighting!”

All roared in agreement and went back to their designated jobs.

Lanny immediately approached Daehyun. She reached out her hand and greeted him. “Hi, I’m Lanny Jung, your teammate. Coworkers here are called teammates because we work together as one. First, I’ll show you how to serve coffee…”

Like a mechanic robot, she taught Daehyun to do almost everything in the café.

Due to Lanny’s perseverance and compassion, Daehyun mastered all the duties in the café. He leveled up from waiter-slash-barista-slash-janitor-slash-cashier to a baker-slash-chef. His specialty is baking weird yet mouth-watering cakes. Lanny always gets a taste of Daehyun’s specialties. Because of that, they formed a special bonding.

 

“Lanny…” Daehyun called Lanny.

Lanny turned her head in reply.

“I really need your help. You see, I was wondering if fried tofu would taste good as a cake. Or maybe tofu cheesecake instead. What do you think?”

“That’s the weirdest cake I’ve ever heard. If you really want something bizarre, why don’t you try mixing them?”

They both screamed, “FRIED TOFU CAKE!”

The next day, the two were as usual doing their duties. But at lunch break, the two sneaked in the kitchen. They tried to bake their idea FRIED TOFU CAKE. Their first attempt was a fail and a big mess. Every day they tried to make one but it was all fail. Daehyun decided to take a break just for a day.

When Daehyun took the break, Lanny sneaked in the kitchen. She decided to give it a shot. Unfortunately, she burned it.

She dashed to find Daehyun and asked for help. “DAE! DAE! DAE~! You gotta help me! Come, quick!” Before even Daehyun could answer, she grabbed his wrist then dragged him all the way to the kitchen.

“You tried making friend tofu cake?” Daehyun asked while tasting the carcinogenic cake.

“Yeah, but it was an epic fail. Oops…”

Daehyun’s eyes widen. It seems like he just shouted eureka by his eyes. He immediately prepared the ingredients, inquired what Lanny did and let the oven do the rest. After 10 minutes, the two were amazed.

“You did it, Dae. And it –Daehyun shoves a spoonful of the weird cake–  – chews– tastes good.”

He smiled at Lanny.

 

The next day, all staff of Beauty and Prejudice gathered to taste Daehyun’s fried tofu cake. When they all tasted it, all clapped and shouted in glee.

“Who would know this existed? Fried tofu filling then cheesecake frosting? Genius!” Mr. Yoo praised.

All stopped when Lanny spitted something. It was a diamond ring. “Dae, you forgot the rules in baking!”

Daehyun smirked, “No, I didn’t. Well, before I defend myself...

“To all the employees of Beauty and Prejudice, my name is Jung Daehyun, your CEO and owner of all Beauty and Prejudice cafés.”

A staff blurted, “We’re on Undercover Boss!”

“No, you’re not. Actually I came here for one person. —approaches Lanny— You really don’t remember Jung Dae Hyun, the guy you married on April 9. It’s our first anniversary and your birthday, you know.

“You had amnesia after a series of unfortunate events and ran away from me. Now that I found you... Let’s go home, cheesecake.”

Lanny’s eyes widen, losing conscience.

 

Lanny woke up in bed... next to a bare- Daehyun who’s sleeping soundly while cuddling her. She stared at his sweet sleeping face.

Is this guy really my husband or it’s just an April Fool’s joke? But then... It’s April 9, my birthday. Wow, what a gift! Maybe he’ll help me remember who really I am. And my past life...

She carefully freed herself from Daehyun’s arms and observed her surroundings. The color theme of the room is black and blue. There’s a laundry-style frame filled with her photos on a large study table, next to three Canon DSLR and a blue Polaroid. There were also elegant earrings on the table. She left the soft bed to explore the room more.

As she entered the walk-in closet in front of the bed, her eyes glistened with joy. “Oh my, this is definitely my walk-in closet,” she admired in awe. Babydoll dresses, laced skirts, pastel shorts, sophisticated accessories, chic pants, feet-friendly heels and the favorite celebrity mirror with large bulbs. Her astonishment grew stronger as she opened a drawer filled with expensive makeup.

She also looked at Daehyun’s clothes. Cool graphic tees, monochrome tuxedos, business man suits, bad- denim pants, square pants, dress shirts, oxford shoes, sneakers and leather belts. “This is definitely my type. Definitely,” she mumbles as her hand brushes by his clothes. She ambled back to the bed.

When her arse landed the bed, a set of warm arms instantaneously s around Lanny’s waist.

“Guess who’s back? It’s Lanny, baby. Morning cheesecake. How’s your sleep?”

Lanny saw Daehyun bare- and smiling. “Did we…did we…”

Daehyun gave her a kiss then teased, “Of course not. I love it when you moan.” He reached for the door and ran away.

“COME BACK HERE YOU BYUNTAE!”