My Best Friend

My Best Friend

                I’ve known her all my life, I’ve always considered her as the little sister that I never had.  I was two years older, and when we were younger I made her life hell.  Teasing her, pulling her hair, hiding from her, you name it – I did it to her.  I’m not exactly sure what made me do all those things, but as we got older I became the protective older brother.  At school, I made sure no one bullied her except for me.  When guys started taking notice of her, I would secretly threaten each and every one of them to leave her alone, I didn’t want her with anyone, she was my little sister, she deserved better.  But now she was leaving for college, of all places to the United States.  You see my little sister is a smarty; I on the other hand got by High School with her help and even got into a University because of her.  I was at her house helping her pack…

                “Hey Smarty…do you really need to take this raggedy old stuffed animal?  I remember when I got this for you at the fair when you were 5.  Let me buy you another one.”  I said holding the stuffed raccoon bear.

                “No way Oppa, I love my coon bear, besides you gave it to me, I’m taking it with me.”  She said, grabbing the raccoon from my hand and hugging it close.

                “Fine, but I’m still getting you another before you leave, okay?” I said putting her head around my arms and messing her hair, and giving her a kiss on the forehead.

                “Sure Oppa, can you get me a bigger one...so that I can hug it to sleep with me every night…I want a raccoon bear like you.”  She said giggling and suddenly an unexplainable feeling came at me from the pit of my stomach to my heart.

                “Sure, sure….now come on, let’s finish packing, I still have to meet my girlfriend.” I said winking at her.

                “Oppa…you better not forget me when I’m gone…and that girlfriend of yours, I don’t like, her there’s something about her that I don’t feel right.”  She said hugging me once again, and that flutter-like feeling increased, and I had to pull her away.

                “Yah…I won’t forget you, just promise you will study and stay away from boys.  Focus on your study first alright? And you call me if you ever need anything…I don’t care what time it is, you call me, okay.  Oppa will always be here for you!”  I said  

                “Yes Oppa…okay I’m done, I think I’ve got everything that I wanted to take.  I can’t believe I’m actually doing this?  I’m so excited and afraid at the same time.

                “You will do fine Smarty….just remember what I said.  Study first, boys later…or else I will come down there and drag you back here where I can keep an eye on you.  I looked at her, as I closed her luggage.

                “I promise Oppa, but you call me too okay…I’m sure going to miss hanging out with you every day.”  She said smiling with a twinkle in her eye.

                “Okay you’re all set, hold on…annyeong….yeah I’ll be there in 20 minutes, I just finished helping my sister with her packing.  Alright.”  I said as I answered the phone call from my girlfriend.  “Yah smarty, I’ll see you later tonight….I’ll take you out to ice cream later, but I’ve gotta go.”  I said saying goodbye.

                “Okay Oppa, I’ll see you later…” she said waving bye as I walked out of her room.

                I met my girlfriend and as planned we went to watch a movie.  As we were walking back to the car, I noticed a toy store and insisted on going inside.

                “Why are we going in there?” she asked

                “I promised my little sister, that I get her a new stuff animal, I just want to see if they have a raccoon.”  I said, intertwining her hand in mines.

                “She’s not even your real sister, why get her gifts?  You act like she’s your girlfriend not me.”  She complained as she slowly followed me inside.

                I laughed at her, “she may not be my real sister, but I’ve known her all my life, she and her family are a part of me.  Now come on, would you like Oppa to buy you one too?” smiling at her.

                That brought a smile to her face as I meticulously looked around and found a raccoon stuffed animal.  I also made sure to have my girlfriend pick one for her.  After a snack, I dropped her home and said goodnight, making plans to see each other again the following day.  I get back in the car and called my sister…

                “Yak, you still up?  Do you still want your ice cream?”  I said finding myself smiling from ear to ear when she picked up the phone.

                “Of course I still want my ice cream, I’ve been waiting for you?”  She said sleepily on the phone.

                “Okay I will be there in 15 minutes; I have a surprise for you too…”

                “Okay Oppa…see you soon.”

                I hurried to the convenience store and picked up her favorite flavor of ice cream, mint chocolate chip and rushed back into the car.  I felt giddy and excited to see her again.  Wait…what is this feeling; she is my little sister, why am I feeling this way.  I brushed it to the side as I came to her door and was greeted w/her smile.

                “Here’s the ice cream as promised Smarty…and now for your surprise, close your eyes first.”  I said with the stuffed animal behind me.

                “Okay – hurry I want to eat my ice cream…” she whined.

                I put the fluffy stuffed animal in her hand…she squealed in delight, as she felt the toy and opened her eyes.  “Oppa – wow this is perfect.  Thank you.” As she hugged and felt tons of kisses covering my face….I felt weird.

                “I’m glad you liked it…now come on, I want some ice cream too before it melts.”

                We spent the rest of the night talking and reminiscing, when suddenly I felt her head fall on my shoulder, she was fast asleep.  I carried her to her room and tucked her in, one last time as I usually do when we stay up all night to watch scary movies, which she wasn’t fond of, but liked to watch them with me anyway.  I watch the moonlight hit her face and wished her well.

                The next morning I was woken up to a phone call…”Oppa, where are you?  I’m leaving for the airport soon…I thought you were dropping me off?” 

                “Yah, I’ll be right there, of course I’m dropping you off, and I wouldn’t miss this.”  Getting up suddenly and almost falling off the bed.

                At the airport, she took time to say goodbye to her Mom and Dad who were already in tears in letting her go.  I assured them that Smarty would just be fine, she is after all smart and I’ve made sure that I armed her with special defense techniques should she need it.  However as I was reassuring them, an uneasy feeling came at the pit of my stomach and hit my heart.  I couldn’t explain it, but as she came to me for a final hug, I couldn’t bear to let her go.

                “Oppa...c ccan’t breathe, you’re hugging me to tight” she squirmed in my arms

                “Mianhe, Smarty…I guess I am going to miss you a lot after all!  Remember what I said, No boys, focus on your studies.  You call me – I don’t care what time it is, if I don’t answer you leave me a message.  I expect some kind of communication from you daily, whether a simple text, email or Skype – got it.  I love you Smarty – take care of yourself.  Don’t forget your self-defense skills, anyone disrespect you or show you any harm – don’t hesitate to smack them.” Continuing to hug her and her hair.

                “I will Oppa, don’t worry and I’ll miss you too Oppa…Here, I have a little something for you.  But don’t read it till I’m gone. Okay” She said handing an envelope to me.

                “What is this? Why can’t I read it now – while you’re still here?”  I asked very curious and so unlike her.

                “None until I’m gone Oppa, promise me okay.”  A determined voice said to me as she looked into my eyes and for the first time, I see a tear form in the corner.

                “Don’t cry Smarty…if you cry your parents will cry again.  Be strong…remember what I told you.  I promise I won’t read this till later, okay.”

                “Okay Oppa….I love you, don’t forget me okay…” she said as she hugged one last time and I smiled.

                Back home I laid down on my bed and looked at our picture taken when I graduated school, when suddenly my heart ached.  What is this feeling?  I can’t be having these feelings; she’s my little sister for crying out loud.  Then I remembered her note, I stood up and took it out of my jacket pocket.  I had to smile at her cutesy handwriting and drawings, it reminded of the notes she used to write to me in grade school. 

                Dear Oppa,

Are you missing me yet?  I’m missing you!  I know this isn’t like me, but I wanted to let you know how much you really mean to me.  Thank you for always taking care of me, thank you for always being there for me, thank you for always listening to me and making me feel like the most important thing in your life.

I know I will always be the little sister in your eyes, but I was hoping that somehow you can see me so much more than that.  I guess only time will tell now.  I love you Oppa, take care of yourself, be good, and don’t get into nonsense fights.  Remember to study; you are better than you think you are. 

With love always…your Smarty!

                I was shocked what is this did Smarty just confess to me?  I shook the feeling off and slowly willed myself to sleep it off.  I’m reading into this wrong, she’s my little sis; there’s no way she has feelings for me. 

                A couple of days passed and I haven’t heard from her,  She texted me when she arrived in California and told me that she will let me know when we can talk, but I was getting anxious.  I wanted to know what her letter meant, it was so cryptic.  It wasn’t until another week had passed did we get a chance to connect via Skype…

               “Yah smarty, why has it taken you so long to contact me.” I yelled at her as I looked at through the camera of my laptop.

               “Sorry Oppa, been busy getting settled here.  Want a tour of my dorm?” she asked stepping out of view and showing me her bed, her desk and where her roommate was situated in.

               “Very nice, has class started for you yet?” I asked as she came back on the screen.

               “No not yet, tomorrow is my first day. I’m getting scared Oppa. I’m not sure how I’m going to fit in.  Even my roommate hasn’t said anything to me.  I feel so all alone.”  She sobbed slowly on screen.

                “Yah…that’s not the smarty I know – come on.  You know you will do fine, as for your roommate don’t worry about her, just worry about yourself.  She will come to know later how wonderful you are.”  I said trying to re-assure her and wishing I could give her a hug.

                “You think so Oppa?  You really think I will be okay?  I wish you were here?  I miss you.”  As her tears continued to flow from her eyes. 

                “Smarty…you will be more than okay.  Come on when has a challenge ever stopped you.  And you’re not alone, I will always be here for you…you know all you have to do is call.”  I said trying to sound positive.

                “Thank you Oppa, you don’t know how much it means to me when you said that.  You’re right, I have to grow up sometimes right.” As she wiped the tears from her face, instantly reminding me of that little girl in pigtails just a couple of years ago, when she came running to me after some boys were picking on her at school.

                 We continued to talk for what seemed like only minutes, but in actuality, we spent almost two hours together, we only stopped when her roommate returned.  It wasn’t until I disconnected from our session, that I remembered her letter, and thinking that maybe it’s best not to bring it up.  I mean, she’s acting the same as she ever did with me; I was probably just really reading into it wrong.

 


                

                Days, that turned into weeks, weeks into months, a month into a year since my smarty has been gone.  Although we didn’t get to see each other often, we managed to make time to talk stories and catch up on a weekly basis.  I kept her posted on what was happening with her parents, our common friends and of course with what was going on with me.  I was set to graduate from the University the following year and I was trying to talk her into coming home to see me graduate.  After all, this achievement of mines wouldn’t have happen if she didn’t push me with school. 

               “I will try Oppa – but you know it’s my junior year of college, and my courses are a lot harder now. But I will definitely try…okay” as her nose wrinkled into worry on my laptop screen.

                “Don’t worry Smarty; you know I understand…besides I want you to do well.”

                “Umm Oppa, there’s something else I wanted to tell you…but don’t judge me okay.” She said, clearly being uncomfortable with me all of sudden.

                I laughed at her strangeness…”Smarty, not once did I ever judge you, now come on spill it, you know Oppa will always be here for you.”

                “Okay, there’s someone that I’ve met and I want you to meet him.  He’s a classmate of mines, and well…at first I didn’t want to even talk to him, but he kind of grew on me.” 

                I was stunned, my heart felt like someone stabbed it, I couldn’t speak…”Oppa did you hear me?  Are we having a bad connection?” I heard her say something in the distant.

                “Yah sorry smarty, my speakers seems to be having issues.  You know I’m not technically savvy like you.  So you met someone?  Is he boyfriend material?” I asked trying not to betray the lump I suddenly felt in my throat.

                “I don’t know, that’s why I wanted you to meet him…do you mind?”  She asked peering through the computer screen.

                “Yah of course, you know he has to come through me first right.  You can’t date him, unless I give my approval.” 

                 “I know Oppa…okay tomorrow, at the same time; I will contact you and introduce you to him.” She said smiling that sweet smile of hers.

                 “Oppa…I’m getting sleepy, I’ll talk to you tomorrow…” yawning as she rubbed her eyes, reminding me of the little girl that I’ve always loved…wait did I just say love?  What?

                 “Okay Smarty, get some rest, I shall talk to you tomorrow.” as we both logged off at the same time.

                 Sighing, I tried to return back to my studies, but I couldn’t shake what she said off my mind.  She found someone…but this time, I can’t threaten them to stay away.  What is this I’m feeling?  I’m so confused…dammit it’s time for me to get too work.  Can’t think about this now, was my last thought, as I rushed out of the house.

                 The next day came too soon, I was already dreading meeting this guy, as I saw her display name come on screen and accepted her incoming call.

                 “Oppa…how are you? Did you sleep well?  She smiled through the laptop screen.

                 “I did smarty – how about you?  How were your classes today?  Are you done with your homework?”

                 “Neh Oppa, I’m just going to study a bit more, after we talk…but remember what I told you yesterday…?” as I nodded trying to see if the guy was there.  “Come here….I want you to meet my big brother. “She spoke to the side as I saw a shadow step onto my view.  “Oppa, this is my friend, Bryan Lee.”

                “Hello” this Bryan guy greeted and I was pleasantly surprised that he knew how to greet me properly.

                 “Hello, how are you?  How long have you known my smarty?”  “Oppa” I heard her yell…”What…” I yelled back.

                 “It’s okay, “Bryan said and turned back to the screen to face me and answered my questions.

                  I wanted to be mad and upset, but he seemed to be a genuine guy, he liked the same thing as me and he was clearly infatuated with my smarty.  I guess if I had to pick someone to watch over my smarty, it would be him.  After a couple of minutes, he said his goodbye and also left for me and smarty to continue talking.

                 “Well Oppa, what do you think?  Isn’t he nice? “She asked me as soon as he left.

                 “Yeah he seems really nice – fine you’ve got my approval, but hey remember – your studies always come first.”  I scolded her.

                 “Don’t worry Oppa, I won’t disappoint you, I’m sorry to have to cut this short tonight, I have a test tomorrow, and I want to get some study time before heading to bed.  Thank you for meeting him, I feel better now.”  Grinning from ear to ear.

                  “Yah, Smarty, study hard and sleep well.  I’ll talk to you again soon. Saranghae!”  I said.

                   “Saranghae Oppa…talk to you later.”

                   Time seemed slower now, since she’s been seeing Bryan, our daily chat session, became weekly, to 1x or 2x a month.  At first I was upset that she was spending so much time with him, but I saw that she was happy, for the first time since she’s been away and living alone, she had someone to share with.  And I had to admit, he was good to her.  Well I hoped and prayed that he was good for her.

 


                  

                      A year passed and I hardly heard from Smarty, but I knew she was busy, and besides, she had a boyfriend and a life too.  I too had a life; I graduated from the university and started working as a talent manager for one of the biggest entertainment companies in South Korea.  I was busy keeping my trainees in line and making sure they rehearsed, studied and did their best.  However one night, after coming home from an extremely busy week I received a call from Smarty…

                  “Smarty yeah…long time no talk.  Sorry I haven’t had time to call you, been busy with work…yah smarty are you crying…what’s wrong?”

                  “Oppa…Br…Bryan…he’s been cheating on me…I just found out.  I don’t know what to do.  I’m sorry to bother you.  I know it’s late there…but I needed to talk to someone.”

                  “That jerk…how can he do that to you…where the hell is he….he’s lucky that he’s far away from me, if not he’s dead.  Do you hear me…he’s dead.”  I yelled onto the phone….as I paced back and forth my bedroom.

                  “Oppa…what did I do?  I thought I was good to him.  I did everything for him.”  She continued to bawl over the phone.

                  “Neh Smarty…listen to me, he’s not worth it you hear.  He never loved you in the first place.  If he did, he would never do anything like this, especially something that he knows will hurt you.  It’s not your fault, it his fault for not realizing how wonderful you are.  You are beautiful, kind, loving, sweet and smart….don’t let him do this to you.  You are so much better than that.”

                   I heard her continue to cry silently as I hoped she was listening to me.  I wanted to hug her and be there for her….but this was the best I could do.  Her first love and he broke her heart…I swear if I ever run into that Bryan guy – I will beat the crap out of him.

                  “Thank you Oppa, I wish you were here…I sure could use one of you bear hugs right now.”  She said through a hoarse voice.

                   “Me too Smarty…me too, but remember he’s not worth it.  Forget about him, there are many out there that will love you no matter what.”  As I picture her alone in her room crying.

                   “Oppa, stay with me till I fall asleep…can you sing to me, like you used to?”  She said softly.

                   “Of course my princess, rest now, I’m here for you” as I started to sing one of her favorite songs…

                   Through the coming weeks, I became her strength, I pushed her to concentrate on her studies, it was after all just a couple of more weeks before she graduated and will be coming back home.  I tried not to let her think about that jerk.  It seemed like she was back to being herself again, but I knew hidden behind her eyes, she was still sad.  It was her first love and break-up after all. 

 


 

                Finally after what seemed like forever, my smarty was set to come home.  Her parents went to the US to attend her graduation and bring her back after the ceremony.  I wanted to go with them, but my work as a talent manager, was becoming demanding, as the group that I was managing was gearing up for their debut.  On the day of her arrival, I made sure to take the day off from work, and got set in planning a surprise for her.  I wanted her to come home to something special – I was so busy with decorating her room, that I didn’t even realize that a taxi had pulled up the house and voices were coming from the outside.

                “Aish, they are here already…well it’s the best that I can do.  I can’t wait to see her.” I thought to myself as my phone started ringing.  I smiled as I noticed the caller; she was already calling me, probably wondering where I was.

                “Yah smarty…sorry I couldn’t pick you up at the airport.  I’m still at work. “I said as I tried to find a hiding place in her room.

                “Oppa...when am I going to see you.  I’ve missed you.”  She pouted over the phone.

                “Are you home already?” I asked as I saw heard her come in through the house.

                “Just got home Oppa…when are you coming?” she impatiently said through the phone.

                “I gotta go Smarty – I’ll be there as soon as I can” I hurriedly hanged up the phone and ran in the closet.

                “Yah…Oppa…”I heard yell outside her bedroom door.  “Umma, Appa, I’m just going to freshen up a bit…and yah, I’m hungry”

                I heard her gasped as she opened her bedroom door, and saw the millions of balloons hanging on the ceiling, a sapphire blue Christmas lights twinkling on and off…”Surprise” I yelled through as I opened the closet door.

                “Oppa…” she yelled, as she ran into me and embraced me tight, with tears falling from her beautiful face…wait did I just think of that.

                My smarty wasn’t a little girl anymore; the laptop screen did not do justice to the person that was embracing me.  She wasn’t a little girl anymore; she’s grown into one of the most alluring young women I have ever met.  Suddenly my heart was racing…as I put my arms around her waist…wait there’s curves where there wasn’t before.  Why am I suddenly feeling this way…I need to push this aside, I’m her hyung for crying out loud.

                “Smarty, you like it….wait let me look at you.  Wow, you’re not a nerd anymore” I managed to as she finally let go.

                “Oppa, you haven’t changed, I’ve missed you” as she took me in her arms again.

                “I’ve missed you too smarty…come on I hear mom and dad calling us.  Let’s go eat and we can catch up.  You like your room?”  I asked taking her hand in mines, which caught me by surprised on how nice it felt, like it was meant to be there.

                “I love it Oppa…okay, let’s eat, I can’t wait to eat Mom’s home cooked meal!” she exclaimed as she led me downstairs to the kitchen.

                Dinner was chaotic, as she had lots of stories to share, from the cultural differences, to adjusting and making lifelong friends.  I stared in disbelief, at how grown she’s gotten.  She was amazing, I found myself intrigued and I hung on every word she said.  The twinkle in her eyes, the way she smiled, she was no longer the nerdy girl in glasses, and she grew up right before my eyes. 

                “Yah smarty, feel like getting ice cream after dinner?” I asked her

                “Ice cream with my Oppa, you know that’s my favorite, of course.”

                “Go on you two…we can clean up, I know you guys have a lot of catching up to do.” Her mom urged us to take our leave. 

                “Well Smarty, shall we get going?” I asked her as I kissed her mom and shook her dad’s hand goodbye.

                “Okay – Umma, Appa I won’t stay out too late.”

                We walked to the corner store, her arms wrapped around mines, and her head on my shoulders.  She was silent, so was I.  I was hoping she didn’t hear my heart beating.  I wasn’t sure about the way I was feeling.  We got our ice cream and decided to eat it at the park nearby. 

                “Oppa, thank you….” She said as she her ice cream.

                “You know you don’t have to thank me. I’m so glad you’re finally home Smarty…, I’ve had no one to bug since you were gone.”  I said looking at her.

                “You lie Oppa…” as she playfully slapped me on my arm.

                “I’m not lying…it’s been lonely without you here bugging me.” I chuckled.

                “Oppa…look the swing you used to push me in…c’mon like old times, can you push me again?”  She said as she run to the playground and took a seat on the swing.

                “Yah, you’re getting too big to be playing in that swing.” I said running after her and tossing the remaining ice cream in the trash.

                “I’m not Oppa...come on, push me.  I want to go high.” She playfully giggled.

                “All right” I finally agreed, taking hold the side of the swing and pushing her.

                “Yah, Kangin-nah, this is fun…” she squealed in delight.

                “Yah…it’s Oppa to you.  Who said you can speak to me so informally.” As I continued to push her.

                “Okay….Oppa stop now, I’m getting lightheaded….I don’t think swings and ice cream mixes very well.  Can we sit back down?”  She asked.

                “Come on Smarty, see that’s what you get for thinking you were still a little kid.” I teased as I held her hand in mines again.

                “Is that how you will only ever see me?  As a little kid?” I was taken aback with her question as she stopped mid-way from the bench and pulled me back to look at her.

                “Smarty…”

                “No call me by my real name…I’m not Smarty anymore, and be honest with me, will I always be a little girl to you?”

                “Min Hee-shi, what are you talking about?” I asked suddenly curious by her sudden change in demeanor.

                “Kangin-nah, I want to know, will I always be a little girl in your eyes?”

                “I don’t know where this is coming from Min Hee-shi; of course you will always be my little sister.”  I said.

                “Okay, let’s go home no Oppa, I’m suddenly tired.”  She said walking ahead of me, with her head down.

                “Min Hee shi…aish…wait for me” I ran after her and grabbed her wrist to turn her around and that’s when I notice the tears forming around her eyes.  “I’m sorry smarty; whatever I did I’m sorry, please don’t cry.”  I said as I wiped her tears away, and noticed that her face was only inches away from her.  Without thinking about, I cupped her face in my hand and kissed her.  She was surprised but she let me in and soon enough was kissing me in return.

                It felt right, my heart was exploding with a loud resonance of YES, YES, and YES….as I finally admitted that I loved this girl from the very beginning.  She always had my heart. 

                “Min Hee, I’m sorry – I shouldn’t have done that, I don’t know what’s gotten over me.” I said when we finally pulled away from each other.

                “Oppa, didn’t you read my letter…before I left.” She asked me, as I see her for the woman that she has become.

                “I always wanted to talk to you about that letter, but you never brought it up…and I thought I was just reading into it.  What are you trying to say?”  I asked her, as I her lovely face, loving the way it shined by the moonlight.

                “Do you know why Bryan cheated on me?”  She asked me while she tilted her head at me.

                “No, all I know is that when I see him, I will still beat the crap out of him, for the way he hurt you.” I said continuing to bask in her beauty.

                She laughed; the sound was like music to my ears “Oppa, he cheated on me because he couldn’t take any more of the comparison I was making with you.  It’s always been you Kangin.  I’ve loved you since I was in the 5th grade, and I love you more than ever.  You have always been my strength; you always knew how to cheer me up, how to lift my spirits up.  But I was always afraid that all you see is a little girl, un-capable in loving you.”

                “Min Hee, I realized when you left that I felt the same way about you as you do for me.  You are my soul, I would never be the man I am now, if it wasn’t for you.  I realized that everything I did, I did for you.” I said confessing how I really felt, doubts and denial aside, as I took her in my arms and kissed her once again.

                “Oppa….” She murmured as she kissed me back.

             

 

Okay guys that was it.  Let me know what you think.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you.  Also if you guys are dying for some ...check out my other stories....

Pictures and GIFS are not mines, credit as tagged and/or belongs to the original owners.  Thank you for letting me use it.

 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/429508/one-shot-stories-kyuhyun-romance--you