Olive Branch

Olive Branch

Hoya finds himself awake much too early the next morning. He doesn't have any explanation why he would wake up so early. Even though he's the lightest sleeper in the dorm, Sunggyu's usually the first one up (Hoya's glad he doesn't have the near impossible task of waking the members up). He finds it odd that he doesn't feel more exhausted. He had spent half the night tossing and turning, the guilt almost eating him alive.

A ray of light streams through the window, feeling like a laser beam as it hits his eyes. He places a hand over his eyes to shield it from the rays, slowly sitting up to make sure he doesn't bump his head against Sungjong's bunk. He meanders to the window, silently cursing his roommates for not shutting the curtains. Even if they sleep on the top bunk, that doesn't mean they can't be considerate and close the curtain for him. He looks out the window, sighing slightly. The sun is barely up, almost hidden behind the tall buildings that surround their dorm.

He looks longingly at his bed. There's still another hour before Sunggyu starts barking at everyone to get up and get ready. He doesn't mind catching up on an extra hour of sleep, but he knows he won't go back to sleep once he's awake. Dongwoo might be able to fall asleep at the snap of a finger, but Hoya has never picked up that particular habit from his best friend.

There's a rustle of sheets on his right and he glances at the top bunk. It's obvious that Sungyeol had fallen asleep in the middle of an episode of 'Shut Up Flower Boy Band'. His laptop is half-shut and pushed haphazardly against the wall. Sungyeol still has one ear bud stuck in his ear, the fingers of his right hand tangled in the wires of the other bud. His body is sprawled across his bed in an awkward manner and a pillow is smashed against his cheek, still held tightly in his arms. His bed is a mess of wires and limbs and it shouldn't look cute, but Hoya finds in inexplicably so. It's ridiculous how much the younger has a hold on him. What he finds even more ridiculous is the fact that Sungyeol can't see how much he affects him.

Hoya tugs the curtains shut. The light might not affect the two men on the top bunks, but at least he can be considerate. Nobody likes to wake up to a face full of sunshine, even if it sounds pleasant (it really isn't). They'll get a rude awakening via Sunggyu's voice later anyway, so it's not like it'll make that much of a difference.

His gaze travels the now-dim room as he contemplates what he should do next. The dorm is peaceful with most of its occupants asleep, and he feels like taking advantage of it. He stretches leisurely, his mind running through things that he can do without waking up the others. He could read the book that he's been dying to read since he bought it last month, or take a walk, maybe even drink some coffee in the kitchen –

Yeol hyung was really hurt by what you said. Make it up to him, okay?

He plops himself onto his bed. His legs are on the floor, but he doesn't care. Sungjong's words run through his mind. How can he make it up to Sungyeol? He doesn't even know where to start. A puff of air escapes his lips as he runs a hand through his hair. He doesn't want to be awkward with Sungyeol anymore. Even if they can't be the best friends they used to be, he'd be content to at least be able to talk to the choding.

Maybe a peace offering might work. He's not trying to bribe Sungyeol, but at least it would show that he's apologetic or something. At least Hoya might be able to tell him something (although what that something might be, he has absolutely no idea).

It takes Hoya two minutes to get ready, another five minutes to reach the nearby cafe and nearly twenty minutes to order. He can barely remember what Sungyeol's favourite coffee is and almost gives up when he finds a text message from Sungyeol that was sent a long time ago.

Hoyaaaaaaaaa, it reads, get me my usual while you're there! Iced Americano with whipped cream!!! You're the best!

A wistful smile graces Hoya's lips as he reads the message. He doesn't know why he didn't delete it. He deletes a lot of messages, but there are a special few that he keeps; text messages from his mom, his dad, his hyung… and Sungyeol. He doesn't even keep Dongwoo's texts. Mainly because the elder prefers calling over texting so that people can hear every emotion in his voice. Hoya, on the other hand, is completely fine with either. It doesn't really matter if he communicates through text or phone call – people can't really read his emotions that easily.

"Sir, what would you like to order?" the waitress asks him, snapping him out of his reverie.

"Iced Americano, with extra whipped cream," he orders, "and a latte."

He sips his latte as he walks back to the dorm, Sungyeol's coffee swinging from his left hand. Hoya doesn't really know why he's going through so much trouble because of the choding (he does, but doesn't want to admit it).

When he reaches the dorm, he notices that no one is awake, even though it's already eight and Sunggyu should have been up already to wake everyone up. Hoya blinks around the room for a moment longer before belatedly remembering that it's their day off. For the first time in a while, they have a day off without any radio shows, music shows or really any shows to do. He rolls his eyes, kicking the door shut. Naturally, he wakes up much too early on the one day they have a day off.

The slamming of the door echoes too loudly in the silent room, causing him to wince slightly. He thinks he hears a snore somewhere, but nobody comes out to greet him. It's a good thing. He doesn't want any questions about the second cup of coffee in his hands, or even the first. He doesn't drink coffee often, but he doesn't mind drinking it when the opportunity comes.

Silently, he takes off his shoes and makes his way back to his room. As expected, his roommates are still asleep. He places his coffee on the shelf and makes his way to Sungyeol. He's still in the same position that Hoya left him in. Hoya slowly reaches out and untangles the wire from Sungyeol's grasp, helping the younger keep his laptop away.

Hoya pushes the younger's things to the far end of his bed. Somehow, he finds himself staring at Sungyeol, trying to take in every single feature. He looks much more relaxed than he ever did when he was awake. A small smile twitches the choding's lips. It makes Hoya wonder what the younger is dreaming about; who he's dreaming about (Hoya kind of wishes it was him but that's not possible). He wishes he could see Sungyeol like that more often – be the cause of his smiles. Instead, he seems to be the reason Sungyeol looks so upset.

"Yah, wake up," Hoya says quietly, shaking Sungyeol slightly. The younger mumbles unintelligibly, turning onto his side. Hoya rolls his eyes slightly and pokes Sungyeol's side hard, causing him to jolt awake and hit his head against the ceiling with a loud thud.

A scowl forms on Sungyeol's face and he turns to cuss out the unfortunate person that woke him up. The words seem to die on his lips as his eyes land on the plastic cup that is held outstretched in Hoya's hands.

"What is this?" Sungyeol asks, eyeing the cup wearily.

"What does it look like? It's coffee," Hoya replies nonchalantly, as if it was a normal thing for him to buy the choding coffee. He doesn't want to show how nervous he is that he'll get rejected. He feels like he's confessing to someone, but he isn't even confessing (it's difficult to confess when you don't even know if the person likes you). He's just trying to apologise, albeit not in the best way possible.

The younger continues eyeing the cup warily, pointing at it as he asks, "Okay, what did you put in it?"

Hoya rolls his eyes once more, taking Sungyeol's hand and placing the cup in his hands. "This isn't Sesame Player," Hoya tells him with a smirk playing on his lips, "and when have I ever tricked you like that? I'm the one who always got tricked."

Sungyeol's suspicious gaze still doesn't waver, but he takes the coffee anyway. Cautiously, he takes a sip, smiling slightly as he tastes pure Americano and not a trace of vinegar or salt. His smile turns confused as he realises that Hoya's still there. The elder is looking at the floor, however. He can't seem to get Sungyeol's moan of ecstasy out of his head. It was obvious it was completely unintended – Sungyeol does a lot of involuntary things – but it keeps replaying in his head. It's ridiculous, because Sungyeol was just really happy to get coffee, but Hoya can't stop thinking about it and Sungyeol is right in front of him. He shouldn't be thinking about the moan that left pleasantly pink lips or wonder how he could make the pitch of his moan change as he –

"Hoya, are you okay? You're turning red." Sungyeol's voice pierces through his racy thoughts and feels like a bucket of icy cold water. It's official. He's gone insane, lost his mind.

"I'm fine," he replies, shying away from Sungyeol's hand that is reaching towards him. He probably wants to see if Hoya's sick. He is, but not physically. Mentally, possibly. Probably. Most likely.

"So… the coffee?"

"What about it?" Hoya's voice is perfectly even, his face blank of emotion. It hides the nervousness he feels. Maybe he got the wrong kind? The message was from a while back. Preferences can change over time and it's not like they've been discussing coffee (or anything, really) recently.

"Why? I mean it's nice and all – thanks for not poisoning it – but kind of sudden." Sungyeol eyes him suspiciously. "Did you do something to me?" His hands roam his face, trying to look for some trace of vandalism. Hoya shook his head, smirking slightly. The younger never was quite the same ever since he drew on Dongwoo's face during Sesame Player.

His smirk falters as he tries to scrounge up the courage to apologise. It's just two simple words, but why did they stick in his throat and make it hard to breathe, let alone speak? He figures it’s his pride that is stopping him, but he doesn't want that. He wants to – no, he needs to apologise to Sungyeol, because he needs to hear it; he deserves to hear it.

"I guess I just want to, um," he falters slightly as Sungyeol fixes his gaze on him, "apologise. I want to apologise. For what I said yesterday." For making you think you were lacking; making you think I didn't care. "I just… I'm sorry."

The silence that follows is too long (for Hoya, at least) and is thick with tension (once again, only on Hoya's end). Sungyeol appraises the elder, sipping his coffee silently. His gaze scans Hoya's face for any trace of teasing or mockery and it's making the rapper feel nervous. He doesn't want the choding studying his face too closely in case he sees something that would give away his emotions. Dongwoo might be fine wearing his heart on his sleeve, but Hoya most certainly isn't.

Finally, Sungyeol nods with a smile playing on his lips. "Alright," he says, shrugging.

Hoya's eyebrow rises of its own accord. "'Alright'?" he repeats. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means what it means," the younger answers vaguely, slowing climbing down from his bunk.

This is absurd, Hoya thinks, but doesn't voice out. 'Alright' isn't the answer he was looking for. It isn't even a proper answer! He trails after Sungyeol, who exits the room and heads to the kitchen. He'll get a straight answer out of him. If he doesn't, he might just go insane (if he hasn't already).

"That's not answering my question," Hoya grumbles, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his hoodie as he watches the younger flutter around the kitchen. He's making himself a bowl of cereal for breakfast (Woohyun's pretty much the only one who can cook without burning the dorm down and the main vocal is definitely not getting up any time soon). "Am I… am I forgiven?"

Sungyeol hums thoughtfully, the tilt of his lips driving Hoya mad. He shrugs again and Hoya feels like crying out in frustration, but settles for a roll of his eyes instead.

"I'll think about it," Sungyeol replies cheekily, the grin on his face even cheekier.

Hoya narrows his eyes, glaring at the younger playfully. "That's mean," he says, frowning slightly. "Sungyeol."

"I don't understand what you're trying to say," Sungyeol says innocently, although the smirk on his face is anything but innocent.

Somehow, they had fallen back into the comfortable relationship they used to have. The relationship they used to have before they debuted; before they veered away from each other and towards Dongwoo and Myungsoo. Awkwardness still permeates the air, but it's easier to push to the side. They can pretend that everything's okay, that there aren't questions left unanswered. It doesn't matter (at the moment) because Hoya apologised and that's what matters.

Sungyeol forgives the rapper, of course. How could he not when the elder had taken the time to get him his favourite coffee – he can't quite believe that Hoya still remembers what he likes – and actually said the words? He isn't about to let him off the hook that easily, though. Where's the fun in that? Sungyeol isn't called a choding for nothing.

"Sungyeol, seriously." There's a warning tone in Hoya's voice that Sungyeol pointedly ignores.

"Maybe you could repeat what you just said?" Sungyeol suggests, blinking his eyes innocently. "I can't quite remember what you want me to do."

He doesn't receive a warning. Sungyeol finds himself trapped in Hoya's headlock before he can even scream. Fingers find their way to his side and dig lightly into his ribs with enough pressure to cause a shriek of laughter to escape his lips.

"Does this refresh your memory?" Hoya asks, raising his voice slightly so he can be heard over the noise Sungyeol is making.

"I can't – no stop, wait," the younger gasped, his speech interjected with high-pitched laughter. Somehow, he had ended up on the floor with Hoya hovering over him, effectively keeping him in place. Sungyeol might have felt embarrassed, if not for Hoya's fingers, which were successful in finding every single spot he was ticklish and thoroughly abusing it. "Quit it or I'm gonna pee!"

Sunggyu finds himself woken up by a loud noise and a high-pitched dolphin call. He smashes his pillow over his head, trying his best to block out the infernal racket and go back to sleep. Unfortunately for him, the walls in the dorm are as thin as paper and he sluggishly sits up as he hears a crash.

He tries to rub the sleep out of his eyes, failing miserably. With a glare at the clock on his wall, he curses the source of the noise. He shouldn't be up at eight twenty-seven in the morning on a Saturday, let alone their first day off in months. He slowly makes his way out of his room, accidentally kicking Woohyun's side on the way out. His roommate grunts slightly and buries himself further into his cocoon of blankets, muttering unintelligibly.

Sunggyu somehow manages to make his way to the source of the noise – in the kitchen, of all places – without injuring himself, only walking into a wall twice (although how he managed to walk into a wall twice when the kitchen is only fifteen steps away from his shared room with Woohyun, he'll never know). He cracks an eye open, ready to make ears bleed due to excessive nagging for rudely waking him from his precious beauty sleep. The sight that greets him in the kitchen is enough to make the words die in his throat.

Hoya is sitting on top of Sungyeol, who looks out of breath. If it wasn't for Sungyeol's (obnoxious) laughter, Sunggyu would think that Hoya is either trying to kill Sungyeol or have with him. It's refreshing to see the two friends act like friends again. The tension between the two was beginning to reach a point where he would have locked the two in a closet for them to talk things out – or get rid of the . Whichever came first.

He watches the two roll around on the kitchen floor for a while and contemplates walking in just to scare the crap out of them. It would definitely make his day. However, he decides against it with a yawn and walks away from the kitchen. He'll leave the two of them alone… for now. After all, what kind of leader would he be if he didn't give s some privacy every now and then?

Instead of heading back to his room, he changes his course and heads towards the Lees' room. Sungjong would be happy to hear his roommates are getting along again, he thinks sleepily, and maknae does have the softest bed. He's pretty sure Sungjong wouldn't mind – for the most part. He won't mind at all, Sunggyu decides, slipping into Sungjong's room. After all, Sungyeol and Hoya are friends again.