Expiration Date

Illusion
Please log in to read the full chapter

Was it a mistake to run away again? There wasn’t a doubt in my mind. I knew that if I were caught again I would be done for, but holding Delilah in my arms made it worth the fight. Was it strange to be so attached to a human? What made it so wrong? Why was being apart from this girl painful? There were more unanswered questions than answers, yet something about her felt like it belonged with me. It was like she was a parto me I couldn’t get rid of no matter how hard I tried. Pulling back from the embrace I studied her face. Her cheeks were flushed from crying. Here red, swollen eyes lit up as she looked upon my face. Her aura was glowing brighter than before. Her breath was warm against my bare neck. Her small hands seemed desperate as she clung onto me.

 

She spoke in a soft voice, “I thought you were dead.”

 

I couldn’t help but chuckle. “You can’t get rid of me that easily.”

 

From the grip Delilah had on me I knew she wouldn’t let go. Releasing her, I gently unwrapped her arms from around my waist placing them at her sides. There was panic in her eyes as she looked at me. I had to figure out a way to put her mind at ease. I leaned forward and lightly kissed her forehead hoping this would give her some kind of comfort. Knowing that she was alive was enough for me, but it was tougher to form the right words. I guided her into the nearest chair and crouched to the ground so that we were finally eye level.

 

“Delilah,” I watched as she closed her eyes to the sound of her name, “there is something I want to tell you.”

“What is it?”

 

I stood up looking down at her and prayed that it wouldn’t be as hard as I thought. “Thank you.”

 

As the lab door slid open and close I knew it would only be a matter of seconds before she came to look for me. Hurriedly I made my way around the nearest corner as I heard Delilah call out my name. I felt my chest tighten as I heard the pain in her voice.

 

“I’m sorry Delilah. This is how it has to be.”

 

“This was the main reason why I never let you see my daughter. I knew this would happen, but I never thought it would effect her to this extent.”

 

“Dr. Lee,” I replied looking up at him, “I need to ask you favor.”

 

Sternly he answered, “If it has anything to do with Delilah I don’t want to hear it.”

 

“Please Dr. Lee. This is my last request for you as my master.”

 

Hearing this his eyebrows came together. “What do you mean?”

 

“As much as I care for Delilah, i know how much pain I caused her. I truly care for you daughter, but if she has to live in like this for the rest of her life then I don’t want to be the cause of it. Not anymore.”

 

I knew that Dr. Lee knew what I meant, but he wasn’t willing to say it out loud. I watched him flinch as the words came out of my mouth.

 

“I want you to de-program me.”

 

“Why? You know that if Delilah finds out that it will only make her worse.”

 

I sighed, “I know it will be hard for her. This isn’t an easy thing to ask, especially after all you put me through, but I do know that the longer I am around the harder it will be for her if I really do stay around her.”

 

“I don’t know if I can do this.” Dr. Lee replied shaking his head.

 

“Since when do you get cold feet? Is this the same person who experimented on me for twenty-three years?”

 

Dr. Lee refused to meet my eyes, so I continued. “I know why I was created. Everyone else thinks they know but now I know. I was made for Delilah wasn’t I?”

 

He looked at me shocked written across his features. “Who told you that?”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter