The Dare

Romance in a Museum

 

Prologue: The Dare


 

I mentally screamed in my head and wished for the floor to swallow up my pitiful existence. Why out of all the friends I can make, I end up with the ones that want to make my life miserable?

 

"Good luck! We'll have our phones ready~" I glare at my friend, who cheekily grins back, waving her bright red phone in my face. 

"Screw you guys, I'm fabulous." I flip my hair and make my way to Yixing's hangout spot with his friends.

I knew that deep down, I was far from fabulous as I neared the presence of Zhang Yixing, one of the school's heartthrobs. His soft brunette curls made me want to reach out and pet his head, like a puppy desiring for a friend. I swallowed because no way was I going to make it out of this ordeal alive and well-functioning.

He was surrounded by his dance crew and they were laughing over a joke, until they saw me. Immediately, his friends became silent.

 

"Oh hi, may I speak to you Yixing?" I nervously hold my hands behind my back while shifting my weight from one leg to another.

"Uh, sure. Be right back you guys." Yixing gestures for me to follow him. 

"Woah, hold up." One of the blonde boys grab my wrist, inhibiting me to walk further. "I would like to know what she has to say." He raises his eyebrows at me and waits expectantly.

Kris, that was his name. I frown.

 

Yixing stops walking and turns to me. He looks apologetic for a moment before his face turns blank and he too looks expectantly at me.

I can feel butterflies fluttering in my tummy and I make the mistake of looking back at my friends, who only wave the phones in the air from afar and flash me devious grins. I sigh and swallow up the incoming rejection.

 

"Will you go out with me to the science museum this Friday?"

 

I shut my eyes and brace myself for the inevitable rejection. 

..

..

..

I peek open an eye. Everyone's giving me a queer look, but none of the expressions surprised me more than Yixing's. He was biting his lips and looking at me with a soft look in his eyes. Was it the afternoon sun that was making him look slightly red? I grow more and more mortified by the second and I begin tracing circles on the ground with my foot, all the while casting my gaze downwards because hell, this was embarrassing.

 

"Fine, I'm cool with that. But why the science museum of all places? Can't we go to the park, the mall, or even the amusement park?" 

Yixing's tone of voice is indifferent and slightly biting, so much different from his previous facial expression. But at the same time, it sent a spark of fury within. No one looks down at the science museum I grew up with.

"If you think that way, then turn me down." I shoot him a furious look and bite my lips to keep myself from taking back my words. I stand by my word and even a big crush wouldn't change how I felt about the new beautiful displays I have yet to explore and the sculptures that draw me in like a moth to its light.

Yixing has some decency to look surprised which makes me mentally pat myself on the back for a job well done, but he immediately smirks.

"Sure, I'll see you at the front of the school tomorrow. 5pm sharp." 

I smile a little.

 

"Okay. I'll make sure you don't regret your choice then!"

 

 


 

So this will be a two-shot. The next chapter will be all about the museum trip. ;) Sorry, this is also un-beta-ed. Too lazy to reread it, so forgive me for any grammatical errors!