How Much ?

How Much ?

As the President and C.E.O. of a well established company in New York City, Sean is always busy almost everyday of the week, in addition to the frequent 'rings' and 'buzz message tones' on his mobile phone.  He wakes up at 6 in the morning with the usual exercise, a cup of coffee and bread in the breakfast table, and a nice shower afterwards, he's off on his way to his business empire.

The beautiful wife of Sean, Jennifer is a Surgeon in one of the biggest hospital in the City.  As usual, she's always "on-call" even her day off is not an exemption.

On the other hand, eight grade Johnny is very intelligent child, loveable and obedient.

"hhhhmmmmm, what a nice saturday morning", murmored by Johnny as he woke up.  While opening the curtain on his window, he saw his dad's car ready to leave.  "oh Dad, Dad, please wait for me."

"Johnny boy, yes son, do you need anything, you can call our helper in the backyard if you want something" replied by Sean., "No, just need to ask you why are you leaving again, its Saturday remember, we're supposed to have breakfast together and go pickup Mom".

"I'm so sorry my boy, I was called by my colleague and need to get into the office for an emergency meeting. I already told mom about it."..... "Oh well, I guess this is your usual reply to me... anyway, I love you Dad, see you when I see you....ha ha ha..bye! ".

The next day was supposed to be a "Family day" for Johnny since they usually go to church all three of them, not until the time Sean has been promoted to the Senior Management level for almost three (3) years now. Jennifer's off was always a Sunday, with a special exception when needed at the hospital.

"Dad, Dad, wake up, breakfast is ready and we're off to Sunday Mass, mom is also ready, come on Dad, wake up"....

"whew, Johnny boy, good mornin' little fellow.... Oh I forgot to tell you last night, this day is my meeting with the President of our sister-company in the Valley Golf Club.  Do you want to come with me, let's have breakfast there".

"No Dad, I will just stay with Mom since I don't know your discussions in your meeting, I will be looked like a little mouse there running around the corner of the room waiting for you to finish".... but wait, HOW MUCH do you really earn to run a big company ?" replied Johnny.

"whoa, you catch me there son... Well, I earn too much to ask, and you can see it as a proof of your parent's income; we have a nice and decent house, nice cars and hey, look at you, you're on a private school for which not all can afford"....

Johnny replied, "well then, I guess I wish I would be like you someday to buy all these things, but Dad, why you always have no time to me, can't you just stay with me for a day, just like the old times when we live in the old neighborhood?, I really missed our bonding Dad".

"OK Johnny boy, I promise to have a day off next week".

"One last question Dad, if you compute it per day, HOW MUCH do you really earn daily?"

"ha ha ha, OK Johnny, its US$1,000.00 per day, to be exact.." =========

Weeks, days, and even months have passed and the same scenario occured, poor Johnny, he really wanted the attention of his dad.  After six (6) months, Johnny got tired of waiting for his father's day off.  Went straight to one of his Dad's favorite sports car.....

'scrraaattcccchhhhh, squeakkkk, scccrrraaacchhhhh'......... Johnny used the sharp kitchen knife to scratch and bend half of the driver's side door of the car, 5 minutes before Sean leave his mansion.

"Oh my, Johnny, what have you done!!! This is the first time you did this, why Johnny, why?" replied angrily by Sean.

"Dad, HOW MUCH to repair this car door?"....... "Not much, I can call the repair shop and pickup the car and they will deliver the next day back to the original, but my point is why Johnny, why did you do this", again replied by Sean.

"Dad I am asking you a simple question, can you please answer me straight, HOW MUCH to repair this car door that I messed?"

"Ok Johnny, it will cost a rough-estimate of US$1,800.00, why do you ask for the repair price, the money that I give you everyday will not suffice it".

"Im sorry Dad, I will never do it again..."

Six (6) months after Johnny's promised to Sean that he will not do it again....

'wwwhhhhaaakkkkk, squeaakkkkk, ssscccrraaccchhhhh."... Johnny did it again !  he waited thirthy (30) minutes for Sean to see it.

"Oh no, its Johnny", replied Sean as he walked towards his two-toned blue Bentley. "Johnny, you promised me not to do this again, now you did it again on my other car.... why?"

"Dad, I asked you before, HOW MUCH it will cost to repair the mess that I've done, and you told me its US$1,800.00"... crying but courageously looking at his father's eyes, Johnny held Sean's hand and gave US$2,800.00.  "Take this Dad, take the money.  I did this on purpose so that You cannot go out today, with your car like this. You told me it costs US$1,800.00 for the repair, and US$1,000.00 per day of your salary, the money I gave you is enough TODAY for you to be with me, I saved this money so that I can BUY you TODAY".

"Oh, I'm so sorry my son, I'm so sorry.. You have enlightened me today, that I always been busy and hardly seeing you, or your mom.  I promised, tonight I'll be home by six o'clock and we'll be together until tomorrow, I promised son", as Sean hugged Johnny, they both cried.  "I have to go out today, this will take 4 to 5 hours only, I promised I will leave early so that by 6pm I'm here.".

"OK dad, now I catched you!!!! I will wait for you tonight, bye!", and gave his kiss to Sean.

rrrrriiiinnngggg, rrrriiinnnngggg !!! "Hello, Mom, be here tonight before 6, we will go out with Dad. I'm so excited and can't wait to be with both of you once again,  I will just be out for an hour to buy a nice shirt and pants for Dad, and a nice evening gown for you tonight."   "OK my Johnny, I will be there half past four".

Seven in the evening, and still there is no sign that the Family is complete.

rrriiinngggg, rrriiinngggg !!!! "Hello doctor, are you home already?", "Hi, yes, I went home by four this afternoon to be with my Family", replied Jennifer.

"Can you come to the hospital, its an emergency", "I'm so sorry dear, I promised my son and this will be our first time to be together again as a Family after almost three (3) years.".

"It is important for you to come, it concerned about your boy"....  and before Jennifer hear the other words, she grabbed Sean's hand and together they went to the hospital.

"we waited for you Son, we are there, we're waiting........", huh huh huh huh, Sean and Jennifer cried out loud as they saw the bloodied body of Johnny lying on the hospital morgue.  He was shot by one of the robbers in the department store where Johnny bought the gifts for his parents on that day.

Sean, still in the state of shock, put his palm inside his pocket and drew the money that his son gave him this morning.  "Darling Jennifer, this is what he did this morning, he literally bought me, so that I can be with him even for ONE DAY !!!".......

"we love you, Johnny !"

THE END