Uppie the Hamster

Uppie the Hamster

Himchan slammed his front door shut and made a sprint up to his room. He fixed his gaze at the corner of his room and broke into a wide grin.

“Hey there, Uppie. I’m home!”

The Winter White hamster seemed to recognize Himchan’s voice and he looked up from his food bowl. The hamster hurriedly ran to the edge of his cage. His little eyes twinkled upon seeing his master and his cheeks puffed out from all the sunflower seeds he kept there.

“Aw, my Uppie is so cute today. How have you been? I hope you’ve been a good boy while I was out.” Himchan talked to the little hamster in a voice that’s usually used towards little children and wiggled his finger in front of Uppie’s nose through the bars.

“Y-yes! I’ve been a good hamster! I didn’t even tip the food bowl over today. See, hyung?” Uppie waddled to his food bowl and turned back to look at Himchan, as if to show him that the green bowl stayed in its place.

“Ah, you didn’t stumble upon your bowl today. Good boy, Uppie! I’ll go change out from my uniform then we can play, okay?” Himchan flashed his pet another bright smile and went over to his wardrobe to pull out some of his clothes and started changing.

Hyung! It’s so embarrassing when you change in front of me like that…” Uppie turned around and covered his eyes with his little paws. He could never get used to seeing Himchan like that even after a few months of living in Himchan’s room.

“Hey, what are you doing there, little guy?” Himchan peered over to see the hamster huddled up in the center of the cage. He chuckled and opened the cage door. Uppie heard the clinking of metal and turned around to see Himchan’s hand halfway in the cage. He ran over and climbed up to Himchan’s palm.

“Someone’s eager to play today. We’ll play with your favorite hamster ball, alright?” Himchan carefully brought Uppie out from the cage and put him down on the carpeted floor. Then he grabbed the transparent hamster ball from beside the cage and put Uppie in it.

“Hyung really knows what I like! Thank you so much!” Uppie starts rolling around and circling the spot where Himchan was sitting. Suddenly Himchan’s phone went off and the male picked it up.

“Hello? Oh, Yongguk! What’s up?” Uppie watched Himchan’s smiling face slowly morphing into a frown. He stopped moving and just sat there, observing Himchan’s movements.

“I’ve kinda had a suspicion. Yeah, no worries, really. I’ll deal with her tomorrow. I just wanna play with Uppie now.” Uppie moved towards Himchan and nudged his thigh. Himchan looked down at him and gave a strained smile.

“Haha, yeah. We’ll talk soon. Okay, see ya.” Himchan hung up and sighed.

Is something wrong? Are you okay, hyung? Why do you look so sad?” Himchan just ruffled his hair and lay down on the floor. Uppie immediately moved and stopped just beside Himchan’s head. He kept quiet and looked at his master’s sullen face.

“So… Hyosung is cheating on me.” If hamsters could growl, then Uppie would be growling right now. He hated Hyosung, Himchan’s girlfriend. He never thought that girl deserved Himchan. She was too flirty, too loud, too whiny, too fake. She didn’t even like animals!

“The way she looked at Daehyun was kind of weird. I thought Daehyun had something on his face or something harmless like that but I should’ve known better…” Himchan rubbed his face and sighed again. Uppie rolled the ball and scratched furiously at the opening. Himchan noticed and let the hamster out.

“Don’t worry, hyung. I’ll be here beside you forever. I’ll never cheat on you, so you don’t have to worry, okay?” Uppie went over and nuzzled Himchan’s cheek. The male was baffled by the way Uppie acted. He only smiled and petted Uppie.

“Thanks, Uppie. You know I love you, right?” Uppie’s little heart fluttered.

“I love you too, hyung.”

=====

After an hour of playing around, Himchan put Uppie back in his cage and he went downstairs to bathe and eat dinner with his family. Uppie had some time for himself and took a hamster shower by rolling around in his strawberry scented sand bath box.

“What if… What if I were a human?” Uppie thought. He made himself comfortable in a little house that Himchan put in his cage.

“Maybe I could be Himchan’s company… And then I’ll be able to talk to him. And I can hug him too! And maybe kiss him… Ah what am I thinking?!” Uppie rubbed his face to rid of his imaginary blush.

“But I really do want to be a human… So I can be the one to cheer Himchan hyung up. So Himchan hyung knows that I love him and I care for him a lot.”

“Hey, you smell good, Uppie! Anyway, I’m going to sleep early, okay? I’ll play with you again tomorrow, Uppie. Good night!”

Himchan went to sleep that night, his back facing Uppie.

“Good night, hyung…”

=====

Himchan heard a loud thud in the middle of the night and woke up alarmed. He looked around the room and found a big mound of…. something moving around on the floor near Uppie’s cage.

“Hey! What the hell!” Himchan the light and froze when he saw a boy on his floor. .

“H-hyung…” The boy stared back at Himchan and the elder one blinked rapidly as he found a similarity of that boy with his beloved Uppie.

“Who… Who are you and what are you doing in my room?! And why are you ?!” The boy flinched and curled up. He started trembling and Himchan’s heart almost stopped.

“B-but hyung it’s me…” Himchan was mentally panicking.

“Don’t tell me…”

“It’s me, Uppie.”

The silence hung heavily between them. Then suddenly Himchan chuckled and broke into a laugh. Then he lay back down and pulled the blanket over his head. Uppie stood and wobbled his way to Himchan’s bed and tugged on the blanket.

“Himchan hyung… Himchan hyung, I don’t know what happened but please believe me, it’s me, Uppie…” Uppie frowned and his eyes turned slightly glassy. Himchan slowly rid of the blanket and turned to the other boy.

“You really do look like Uppie… But how on earth…” Himchan sat up and touched the boy’s silver-gray hair. Uppie leaned in to Himchan’s touch and contently smiled.

“I don’t know… But I really wanted to be human so I can be with you, hyung! So will you let me stay, please?” Uppie put on his best pleading face and stared up at Himchan. Himchan looked at Uppie’s cage and saw no hamster inside. He knew the whole situation was very, very abnormal but he couldn’t give a damn. This was Uppie, his cute hamster.

“Alright… I guess we’ll figure things out somehow…” Himchan smiled and ruffled Uppie’s hair.

“Really?! Thank you, hyung! I promise I won’t do anything bad! I won’t tip over the food bowl!” Himchan laughed at how the other boy’s little eyes twinkled, just like his little Uppie.

Uppie suddenly stood up and gave a quick peck on Himchan’s lips.

“I.. Um, I’ve always wanted to do that… I’m sorry! I’m so sorry, I shouldn’t have done that!” Uppie tried to shuffle away but Himchan’s hand on his wrist kept him in that spot.

“My pet hamster just kissed me.” Himchan dazedly chuckled. “That’s something that doesn’t happen every day…” Himchan hugged Uppie tight and let out a manly squeal.

“You’re so cute, Uppie! I never imagined what you’d look like as a human but I think this is just perfect! You cutie!” Uppie blushed at Himchan’s words, this time not imaginary, he really did blush.

“Aw, and you’re blushing now… So adorable!” Uppie hid his face but Himchan just kissed the top of his head and pulled him to lie down on his bed.

“H-hyung?” Uppie looked flustered but Himchan patted his back to calm him down.

“I’d love to talk some more, but I really have to sleep. So can we talk in the morning? I hope you won’t disappear on me.” Himchan made room for Uppie to sleep beside him and made themselves comfortable on the bed.

“I will never leave your side, hyung… I’ll try my best, okay?”  Uppie dared himself and wrapped his arm around Himchan’s torso. Himchan didn’t move and nudged Uppie’s head with his.

“Okay.” Uppie yawned and snuggled closer to Himchan. He thanked whoever made this possible because he’s finally able to talk, hug and kiss Himchan. He slowly drifted off to sleep in his master’s arms, much happier than he’d ever been.

“….. Uppie, I think you better put some pants on.”


A/N : Comment please. Constructive and perhaps destructive criticism welcomed. Kthxbai!