Suho

Once Upon a Night: Children of the Moon
Please log in to read the full chapter

"No, they can't be back."

 

"Suho. Suho," Asuna gaped as the realization dawned on her. "Oh god."

Ignoring the fact that she had just seen Suho transform from a wolf Asuna scrambled forward and attempted to see if there were any signs he was still alive. She might not have been a trained nurse or doctor, but she had picked up enough from Mira to know how to locate and determine a pulse. Asuna kneeled forward and gently placed two fingers into the side of his neck. She counted to seven in her head and waited to see if she could feel a beat.

"-five, six, seven," Asuna finished whispering.

A small cry of relief escaped her lips when she found the faintest thump of a heartbeat under her fingers. Suho was alive, albeit just barely. By now the initial adrenaline of finding and witnessing Suho's transformation had begun to wear off. Asuna's eyes drifted over to the wounds on Suho's sides and saw the blood oozing out from the gash and felt her lunch at the back of . The smell of blood mixed with earth wasn't helping the massive headache that was forming in the back of her head, but Suho needed help and fast. Asuna glanced around the clearing again. But how could she help him when even she didn't know where they were? Asuna checked her pockets for her phone only to find it missing. A frustrated gasp left her lips when she realized she must have left it in her father's truck.

Desperate, Asuna took off her jacket and bunched it up to press against the worst of Suho's wounds. She squeezed her eyes shut and held her breath as she the scent of fresh blood got to her. The best she could do right now was try and stop the bleeding. The large gash on Suho's side looked the worst and so that was where Asuna kneeled. She knew it probably wasn't going to help much, considering how much blood Suho had already lost, but no matter what she wasn't going to leave him. Suho wouldn't be dead until the beat of his heart was no more. Until then, she would do her best to keep it from happening. A few moments later, Asuna felt something wet between her fingers only to see blood start to seep away from the fabric and onto her skin. Panic started to seep in and Asuna pressed down harder in an attempt to stop the blood flow, only to cover her hands in more blood. Suho was alive, but he wouldn't be for long if he continued to lose blood like he was. As Asuna fumbled with her blood soaked jacket she prayed in her heart that somebody would come find them and she prayed for Suho to stay alive until they did.

"Asuna!"

Asuna's eyes widened when she heard her name being called.

"Asuna!"

She almost cried in relief when she realized who it was. Her father. Her father had followed her and was now looking for her. Maybe they would be able to save Suho after all. She hastily yelled back hoping he would be able to follow her voice. Seconds later the haggard form of her father burst out from within the trees and stumbled into the clearing.

"Dad," Asuna nearly sobbed. "Dad over here. Su-Suho he's- w-we need to help him."

"Oh my god Asuna," Mr. Kim exclaimed. "What happened?"

"I-I don't know. H-he just collapsed a-and there was so much blood a-and-."

"Shh. Shh," Mr. Kim soothed, kneeling down besides his daughter. "Breath. It's okay. Asuna, you need to breath. You did good by trying to help him."

"Dad, we need to help him or he's going to die!" Asuna cried.

The tears had finally spilled over from the stress and agony of seeing somebody she knew bleed out before her. Asuna couldn't help herself as she started to shake uncontrollably.

"Hey, Asuna look at me," her father turned her head towards him and placed both hands on her shoulders. "You did all you could. Now right now I need you to be calm so that we can get Suho the help he needs. Can you do that for me muffin?"

Asuna took a couple of deep breaths, and managed a shaky nod.

"Good." Mr. Kim took one glance at Suho spawled on the ground and grimaced.

His eyes sweeped over the large gash Asuna was holding her jacket to and noticed that the cut went all the way down into the bone. It was a miracle the boy wasn't already dead. As he moved to position himself on the otherside of Suho his eyes caught a flash of something dark on the inside of Suho's right wrist. He moved the hand to get a better view and the realization nearly knocked the breath right out of him. Suddenly, the situation they were in started to make a lot more sense.

"Asuna here's what I need you do to," Mr. Kim stated as he started to remove his jacket. "We're going to make something we can use to drag him back. Then we're going to take him back to the house."

"What?" Asuna protested. "But what about the hospital?"

"Asuna, I need you to trust me on this," his voice sounded confident, but Asuna couldn't deny the strained look in his eyes. "Call Mira to come and help."

"But-"

"Asuna," Mr. Kim pleaded. "you have to trust me."

Asuna was torn between listening to her father or continuing to argue with him. A person's life was a risk. However, deep down inside a part of her knew her father was right. Asuna frowned but nonetheless removed her jacket from Suho's wound.

"Okay Asuna I'm ready," Mr. Kim announced. "Help me turn him over. Carefully now."

Asuna gripped onto the top of Suho's right arm and shoulder and gently pushed him onto the makeshift gurney her father made. Seeing his face only caused to deliever another wave of torment through her. He looked so pale, so still. Asuna prayed they weren't too late.

It seemed like hours before they were finally able to make it back home. Asuna all but kicked the front door open to help her father carry Suho in. Her mother was nearly hysteric when she realized they were home.

"Where have you two been?" she cried as she descended from the stairs. "Gone for hours and not even one phone call. Did you know there's been another attack? They found two students on the edge of town pratically mutilated. They had to check their id cards to figure out who they were. I've been worried sick-"

Mrs. Kim stumbled back when Asuna came running up to her in tears and soaked in blood.

"Mom, I can't explain everything now, but I need you to get all the medical supplies and towels we have in the house. Now! Hurry!"

"Asuna- what? Is that blood?" Her mom exclaimed. "Asuna!"

Asuna stumbled past her mom and into the kitchen where she reached for the phone and dialed a number she knew by heart.

"Please, please pick up." Asuna whispered as she clutched the phone by her ear.

Ring. Ring. Click.

"Hey, you've reached Mira. Leave a message at the beep-"

"Mira! I know you're in class, but I need you to get your first aid kit and come to my house right now! I'll explain when you get here. Please, it's an emergency!"

Asuna placed the phone back and rushed back out toward the living room where her dad had placed Suho down. She bumped into her mom carrying the big box of medical supplies they keep in case of emergenices and an armful of large towels.

"Asuna! Will you tell me what's going on? Why are you covered in blood?"

Asuna took the box and towels from her mother. "Suho got hurt in the forest and we couldn't just leave him there."

When Asuna reached the living room she found Suho laid face up on their couch and her father struggling to cover the wounds that covered Suho's body. Asuna didn't hesitate to bend down and start trying to wrap the wounds in make shift bandages made of the towels they had. She knew that they wouldn't be able to do much until Mira got there. She just hoped that by then it wouldn't be too late. By now her mother had come into the room and nearly dropped the rest of the towels she had been carrying.

"Oh my god," she whispered.

Mr. Kim was at her side in a heartbeat. "Yuri, let me explain-"

"That boy needs to go to a hospital." Mrs. Kim cut in. "What is he doing here?"

"Yuri," Mr. Kim tried again. "just listen to me. He's one of them."

Mrs. Kim snapped her gaze away from Suho on the couch. "What?" she whispered wide eyed.

Mr. Kim his lips and drew in a deep breath. He glanced over at Asuna. "We can't talk here," he whispered and started to move away from the living room towards the back of the house.

"Right." Mrs. Kim agreed. She started to follow her husband, but couldn't help glancing back one more time at her daughter and the man she was so desperately trying to save, or if he was even a man at all.

When they reached the back of the house Mrs. Kim turned and frantically asked.

"What do you mean he's one of them?"

Her husband gave her a solemn look. "I saw the mark on his wrist. The wolves- they might be back." He spoke ever so softly.

"Oh god." Mrs. Kim whispered horrified. There were multiple reasons why the wolves could have decided to come back and she hoped it wasn't one of the reasons she was thinking of.

Then she gasped, eyes widening. "Does Asuna know?"

"No," her husband sighed, somewhat relieved. "No, she said she found him bleeding and unconcious on the ground."

"Good," Mrs. Kim nodded. "it's better if she doesn't."

She let out the breath she had been holding and was about to say something else, but her husband interrupted her.

"But Yuri," he started. "there's something else I need to tell you."

And judging by the expression he currently had on she could tell she wasn't going to like what she heard next.

 

After Asuna had finished placing the towels around Suho she heard rapid knocking coming from their front door. Scrambling from her spot in the living room Asuna rushed to open the door and when she did she saw a very concerned Mira on the otherside.

"What happened?" Mira asked as she darted in. "I got your message. Are you hurt? Is your family alright?"

"We're fine," Asuna said breathlessly. "Did you bring what I asked for?"

"Yeah," Mira replied holding up a large white box with a red cross on the front. "But why- oh my god."

The first aid kit in Mira's hand landed with a loud thump on the floor as she caught sight of who was on the couch . dropped open in shock and she had to tear her eyes away for a moment before preparing herself to confirm what she really saw.

"I-is that-"

Asuna swallowed heavily. "Yeah, there's no time to explain. You're the only one that can help him-"

"Only one?!" Mira yelled. "Why isn't he in the hospital right now? Look at him! He's bleeding in more places than I can count. A-and is that bone I see?!"

"I know! I know," Asuna yelled back. "But I-I can't- there's a reason why we couldn't-"

As Asuna stumbled to provide a proper answer Mira continued her rant.

"Did you forget that I'm still in nursing school? Heck we haven't even touched the cadavers yet. What in the world were you thinking?"

"I- Suho- he- he's not- Suho isn't-please you're the only one that can help him right now. I know you can."

Asuna struggled to get out an explanation, but she found she couldn't, not without revealing what Suho actually was. Even Asuna didn't know if she was ready to acknowledge that yet. All she cared about right now was getting Suho the help he needed and with the hospital out of question Mira was her next best choice. She prayed that her friend would understand. Mira eyed Asuna for another moment then focused her gaze back to Suho on the couch and for a minute Asuna thought her friend was going to leave until she picked up her kit and made her way over to crouch down in front of the couch.

"I need a sewing needle, a candle, cloth, and warm water." Mira stated as she opened her kit and started taking out what she needed to treat the man in front of her.

Asuna breathed out a sigh of relief. "Mira thank you-"

Mira squeezed her eyes shut. "If you want Suho to continue living I suggest that you bring what I asked for. Now."

Asuna nodded frantically as she rushed out of the room to gather what they needed. Mira lifted the makeshift bandages around what looked like the worst of Suho's wounds, the large gash on his side, and it felt as if somebody had took a knife and stabbed her heart. It physically hurt to see him like that. Mira blinked away the tears as she went into the kitchen to wash her hands and put on her gloves. As she passed the couch she spared a glance at Suho's cut up face and suddenly she wondered what exactly she was getting herself into.

A dozen roll of bandages and several bottles of disinfectant later Mira tied off one final stitch and then collapsed face first onto a couch cushion.

"That's it. I'm done. No more." She exclaimed.

Suho, for better or worse, had been patched up to the best of Mira's abilities. The large gash on his side had been cleaned, disenfected, and bandaged while the rest of his smaller cuts had been stitched together. Upon first inspection Mira thought the gash was the worst of his injuries until she found that he had several broken ribs along with a broken leg. While Mira was working Asuna's father eventually came back in and lent a hand with wrapping the bandages with careful instructions from Mira. Asuna's mother stayed behind and watched from the doorway, eyes tense and body stiff. Asuna, oblivious to the obvious tension coming from her parents, sat besides Mira and handed her friend whatever materials she requested. As Asuna waited she couldn't help but chew on the tips of her fingers, a nervous habit she often got scolded for. However the smell of blood mixed with disinfectant wafted up to her nose more times than not and it was all she could do not to throw up. Suho was still unconscious, but at least now his injuries were under control. Asuna crouched down next to her friend and gave her a thankful pat on the back. Suddenly, Mira shot up from her position on the floor and gave Asuna a stern glare.

"You. Me. Explanation. Now." she demanded pointing toward the door.

Asuna pursed her lips together, but followed her friend out the door. Once outside Mira crossed her arms and spun around to face her.

"Explain."

"You're not going to believe me when I say this." Asuna murmured twirling her thumbs together.

Mira eyed her. "Try me."

Asuna's eyes searched Mira's face for several moments. She knew her friend was trying her hardest to keep a stern expression, but past that steely exterior Asuna saw deep concern and worry etched within those brown eyes. Looking closer Asuna noticed the slight tremor in her friends arms and realized perhaps there was a bit of fear swirling in there as well. She then took a deep breath and blurted out the only answer she could.

"Suho's a werewolf."

The silence between then was maddening. Mira blinked at her, crossed her arms, and said, "I'm sorry, what?"

Asuna gulped. "Suho's a werewolf." She blurted again and then immediately braced for impact.

Mira continued to blink at her with arms still crossed until after a few beats of silence she moved to place her hands on the top and sides of Asuna's head. Asuna could feel her sliding them up, down, and around through her hair.

"Um, what are you doing?" Asuna questioned.

"I'm checking to see if you have any head injuries," Mira calmly replied, hands still checking. "because I think you may have a concussion."

It took a moment before Asuna realized what was going on. "Wh- What? Mira stop." She protested brushing her friends hands away from her head. "Stop. I don't have a concussion. I'm fine. I know what I saw out there and Suho's a werewolf! I found him as a wolf and then he changed right in front of me!"

Mira sighed. "Look Asuna, I know that you saw something traumatic out there, God knows what, and you're probably really stressed out and scared and that's normal. But it's not healthy to keep denying things. If you accept it then you can move on and I can help you-"

"Ugh, no Mira you're not listening to me." Asuna frustratingly cried. "I know what I saw and I'm not denying anything."

Mira pursed her lips, but nonetheles waitied for Asuna to continue.

Asuna breathed in deeply and met Mira's intense gaze. At first glance her gaze looked harsh, but Asuna knew better. Somehow in this moment she knew it was time to reveal what she tried to keep hidden all these years and she prayed Mira would understand. After all they weren't close friends for nothing.

"Before I say anything I think it's best if we went somewhere private. It's going to be a long story."

 

The next few days were rather uneventful compared to the day when Suho was found. Of course life goes on and Asuna still had to attend her classes. While she was reluctant to leave Suho alone at home her mother assured her that she would watch over him while she was gone. Mira came over several times to check his wounds and change his bandages. After their talk that day Asuna was glad Mira still came to help when she could, but she could also tell something was off about her friend. The way Mira acted around her seemed reserved. Their talk was pratical, always pratical, asking how Suho was and if Asuna needed anything more before she would pack up and leave. Then they wouldn't see each other until the next time Mira would come over to change his bandages. Asuna knew that she had dumped a lot on her friend and it was a lot to take in, but she hoped a little time would allow Mira to adjust. She missed her friend.

Speaking of Suho, Asuna noticed his wounds were healing at a remarkable rate. When Mira came over and went to lift up his bandages her jaw dropped and her eyes widened in shock.

"What's wrong?" Asuna asked running over at Mira's surprised expression.

"They're gone." Mira whispered, dragging her hands softly over the light pink scar that was left in its place. "Incredible."

"Yeah," Asuna repeated. "It is incredible. I told you that it was true."

Mira eyed her and let out a short "hm" before continuing to check over the rest of Suho's injuries. He stirred lightly, eyes scrunching and mouth mumbling incoherent words, when Mira reached the side where he had been nearly sliced in half. It looked like that injury still had yet to fully heal. With a sigh and a small grunt Mira lifted herself off of the ground where she had been kneeling for the past half hour. She had finished changing the bandages and had even removed some of the stitches she placed several days before. Asuna stood by the kitchen doorway, not wanting to bother Mira when she was working, but not wanting to be too faraway either. When it came time for Mira to leave Asuna didn't miss the way Mira took an extra couple moments to gaze at Suho's sleeping face or how she would gently caress the side of his cheek and swipe hair away from his eyes. Asuna co

Please log in to read the full chapter