Chapter 3

Poised

 

AN: Things are a little slow in this chapter, but I really want to present all the characters and situations in a good pace. Hope you guys like it. Meet the trio:

 

 

 

ps: edit of mine :) 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

“So...” Chansung heard the heavy accented voice before he actually saw its owner. “How was your first practice, big guy? Did you wear a tutu?” Kim Minjun, his very unfunny friend, put his arm around his shoulder and sat down, his melodic laugh reaching Chansung's ears. The younger man rolled his eyes in response and gulped his beer. He ignored the joke with a smile.

 

“Leave him alone, hyung,” Wooyoung - Chansung's fellow dance major - came to his defense. He looked stormy. but nothing a few beers and bottles of soju wouldn't cure. He wore all black, his outfit somewhat matching his current mood.

 

Every Wednesday they came to the TwinBar to enjoy the double drinks night and each other's company. They have been doing the same since they joined the Institute. Wooyoung and Chansung knew each other from their childhood days, but right on their first week they met the funny and kind hearted music major Kim Minjun, who happened to be Wooyoung's room mate. Their friendship was immediate and the bar close to the Institute became their home base. The place was always packed with college students dying to forget the stress of the college life. So they always felt at home amidst the loud music and the rich sounds of laughter.

 

“Don't be jealous, my Wooyoungie.” Minjun threw his other arm around the other guy's shoulder. Wooyoung frowned, but didn't shake the eldest guy off himself. He continued to drink, his eyes fixed ahead, but Minjun didn't settle until he made the somber guy smile. When Wooyoung finally did after getting tickled, Minjun added “And where is your room mate?”

 

“Probably attached to some girl,” Chansung replied with a laugh, but it suddenly died on his lips. Their friend was quite a ladie's man, so it wasn't a stretch to think that way. But he would come, like he always did. Sometimes with company, sometimes with a smudge of lipstick on his shirt. Either way, he didn't care. His mind was elsewhere, in a room full of mirrors and mysteries.

 

“Yah, I'm talking to you.”

 

He probably spaced out a bit because he didn't hear when Minjun talked to him. “What did you say, hyung?”

 

“Did he say he was coming?” He started with a smile, but his face grew impatient. “Yah, Hwang Chansung. You seem distracted. What's up?” At the question, Wooyoung perked up, losing interest in his glass of beer and looking at Chansung with an intense look.

 

“Nothing much. I'm dealing with all of this right now. I guess it's overwhelming.”

 

“Don't worry. You are a great dancer, you are going to pull this off,” Minjun encouraged. Chansung nodded, not wanting to explain other things were on his mind.

 

“He's right. You are going to show these idiots how it's done.”

 

“I propose a toast then,” the eldest boomed, his beer raised. “To great friends. And Chansung in tight pants and a tutu.”

 

At that, even Wooyung laughed loudly and raised his glass, but their toast was interrupted when their friend arrived. “Yah, toasting without me. I'm hurt,” Taecyeon smiled and faked hurt, seating down next to them with a sly grin on his face. “What are we toasting for?”

 

“Chansung in pink.” Wooyoung with a smile, the beer already making the man loosen up. They laughed out and made fun of Chansung. But he didn't mind. Beers and friends, that's the real reason he toasted.

 

* * *


 

“Junho,” he tried, but it didn't work. His roommate kept walking through school grounds as if he didn't listen to Nichkhun. But he knew Junho did hear it. So he ran to reach the younger boy. With the sun long gone, it was unusual to see a student across the empty, and somehow, eerie campus. But Junho was hardly a normal student. He trained hard, pushed hard until late hours. Pushed too much if you ask Nichkhun.

 

He finally reached the other guy and put his arm around his shoulder. Junho kept walking, his lips sealed, a grimace on his face. That's how it was with them. Despite being roommates since freshman year, the other man never opened himself to Nichkhun. And that made Nichkhun more and more. “Going home, roomie?” Nichkhun asked with an evil smirk.

 

“Of course,” he added, shaking Nichkhun off, not a hint of smile on his features.

 

“Why don't you go with me and Jinwoonie to Twinbar tonight? Relax a little, grab some beers, talk with some girls.”

 

“Are you crazy?” He scoffed. He knew for a fact Junho never went out. He wouldn't jeopardize his training to engage in what he considered juvenile recreation, stuff only fools do, but the oldest man always wanted to shake him somehow. He wanted to know what was under the cool man Lee Junho façade. He never managed to have even the tiniest glimpse, but Nichkhun wasn't a man to give up.

 

“Hwang Chansung will be there.” And after years of provoking, teasing, probing, two little words finally did it. It was a small and barely perceptive. But it was there. His eyes widened for the briefest second, the type of thing you would miss if you blinked. And Nichkhun had his eyes wide opened, alert. And he saw it. The untouchable Lee Junho got interested. Nichkhun smirked because of the small victory.

 

“So what?”

 

“I don't know, he seems like a nice guy. Thought you might want to know him.”

 

“No, I don't want to know anyone. Goodbye.” Junho practically ran away to their dorm. But Nichkhun didn't pursue him this time. It was time to meet Jinwoon and pay a visit to TwinBar.





 

“So how was dance practice?” Taecyeon asked his dongsaeng when they were by the counter grabbing more beers. The kid looked a little deflated and maybe a little drunk.

 

“Still didn't start. Just getting to know the people and some details about their presentation.”

 

“And how are they?” He asked, but maybe he didn't need to. Ballet major people were stuck up and mean. It worried that Chansung had to deal with them, but his room mate was a cool guy and would pull this off somehow.

 

“There is some kid, Jo Kwon, that is up in my face already. He acts like I was the one who injured him and I never seen him before in my life. But there are some cool people too,” he explained with a smile. “Oh, look. There he is. One of the cool kids from ballet.” Chansung pointed at a kid that just arrived in the bar. He looked around and finally saw his roommate through the crowd.

 

“He's not alone,” Taecyeon suggested when he saw a tall guy with honey colored hair walk together with Chan's friend.

 

“Oh, he brought Nichkhun.” He looked at the pair with a confused expression.

 

“He's not cool?”

 

“He's cool. I just... there is something odd about him. Can't figure out what it is.”

 

“Well, time to find out.” He grabbed his glass of beer on the counter and followed Chansung as he walked towards the newcomers. They passed a sea of people and met them halfway.

 

With a nod, Taecyeon acknowledged them while Chansung greeted them and showed them the way. The boys were now settled on a side table in a darker side of the bar, so everyone sat down after quick introductions. The power trio Chansung, Minjun and Wooyoung sat closer to Jinwoon, while Taecyeon sat awkwardly by Nichkhun's side in a booth in the corner.

 

“Nice to meet you, I'm Nichkhun,” the foreigner said, lips really close to Taecyeon's ear. The bar was packed, students standing in the crowd holding beers, some in tables, while some other made an out of themselves in karaoke. The music was really loud, so that forced them to sit close together and shout through the conversation.

 

The ambient was hot and suffocating. But those words on his ear came like a breeze, causing his skin to break in goosebumps. Taecyeon looked at the man and he was smiling. He wouldn't be flirting, would he? He dismissed the possibility because this guy didn't look gay. And Taecyeon wasn't either.

 

“I'm Taecyeon. Nice to meet you,” he replied trying to maintain some distance.

 

“What did you say?” The guy asked and Taecyeon couldn't help but to look down at his lips. And the action didn't go unnoticed by the other man, who smiled, maybe a little evilly. His eyes were dark and deep, his eyelashes so long he wanted to stretch his hands and touch it.

 

“My name is Ok Taecyeon. I'm Chansung's room mate,” he tried saying it once again. For some reason, his heart drummed as fast as the upbeat music that played in the bar. Nichkhun's smell reached his nostrils, making him want to reach closer and draw his nose on that... What? Taecyeon shook his head, trying to shake the weird feelings away. But it didn't work.

 

“Chansung,” he tried to shout from the other side of the table, but the other man didn't hear. He chatted animatedly with Minjun, Jinwoon and Wooyoung, but after some hand signals he finally looked at his room mate. “I'm going now,” he muttered, showing the maknae the door. Chansung looked confused, but mouthed a talk to you later. He waved at everyone, weird foreigner included and left, not daring looking back.

 

If he could, he would ran away like a coward that he was. But it was impossible but he had a huge crowd to avoid. When he finally managed to get out of the bar, he breathed heavily, welcoming the chilly night air that would cleanse his lungs from the smoke and maybe from his upsetting feelings.

 

“Is everything alright?” The last voice he wanted to hear asked. He looked back to see a distraught looking Nickhun by the bar's back door. Maybe it was the odd lighting or how the moon shone on his hair, but he looked sad, nothing like that arrogant guy he saw minutes ago. “You left in a hurry. I got worried,” he added and with each syllable, their distance between their bodies became less and less. Soon enough, they were face to face. And suddenly, in the middle of an empty dark alley, the air wasn't chilly anymore.

 

* * *

 

Can you crash in their place tonight? Chansung read the text message incredulously. When did Taecyeon find himself a girl? He figured he probably had a black little book full of phone numbers of girls ready to satisfy him in a drop of the hat.

 

“Hyung, can I sleep in your place tonight?”

 

“I was planning to be alone with my Wooyoung, but I guess you can go.”

 

“Yah, shut up,” Wooyoung chastised, but ended up laughing at the silly joke. No matter how many times Minjun this exact same thing, his room mate always ended up laughing – even if he hid it sometimes. “You can go with us, Chansungie,” he added sweetly. With Jinwoon and Nichkhun long gone, they had no choice but to go home. He smiled at his friends, but in the back of his head he knew things were changing. But maybe it was a good thing.



AN: So, I guess couple number 2 is out of the bag. I guess I’m kinda into them lately? Can’t explain. But want to write these two. Hope you guys like it. And remember to sub and comment if you can :)