Just Friends

Just Friends

Kyuhyun kept his eyes glued to his food. He was eating slowly, picking at it more than anything. Across from him Zhou Mi was talking about something he didn't really care about.

If Kyuhyun was honest, he felt like crap being around Zhou Mi. It had been months ago that Kyuhyun had confessed to him. They were good friends. Zhou Mi's reaction wasn't what he had expected.

"I like you too, Kui Xian," he had said.

But it was what followed that really hurt.

"But I don't want a relationship right now."

So they stayed friends. It was awkward at first, especially when it had just been the two of them. But eventually it got easier. They began to laugh together as friends, and talk as friends. But being around Zhou Mi was still torture for Kyuhyun.

Because even though months had passed since he confessed, he still loved him.

He shouldn't, he knew that. It was clear as day that nothing was going to happen between them. He had known that for months. So why, then, did his heart do flip flops every time he met Zhou Mi's eyes? Why did he want to reach out, pull him close, and kiss him into oblivion.

It wasn't right. They were supposed to be friends.

"Kui Xian."

His name had his head snapping up.

"Why won't you look at me?" Zhou Mi asked innocently.

Kyuhyun must not have noticed that Zhou Mi had stopped talking and had been watching him mope in his food.

"I can't do this," Kyuhyun murmured and stood, making a quick dash for the exit of the restaurant.

"Kui Xian, Kui Xian!"

Kyuhyun heard his name but he didn't stop. He couldn't be around Zhou Mi anymore. He was torturing himself with it. It wasn't fair for him to keep wanting like this.

It was only Zhou Mi's hand on his wrist that had him stopping and turning around.

"What is it Kui Xian?" Zhou Mi asked, his eyes innocent.

Kyuhyun met his eyes and he felt his heart flip again. No, it definitely wasn't fair.

"I'm sorry, Mi, but I still love you," Kyuhyun said quietly and then pulled his hand away from Zhou Mi's grasp and turned away, his legs carrying him mindlessly away from the person he wanted most in this world.

A part of him hoped that Zhou Mi would come after him again. That he would grab his arm, turn him around and kiss him. That Zhou Mi would take him into his arms and tell him that he loved him too.

But that was only a fantasy. So Kyuhyun kept walking. Because in this reality, Zhou Mi didn't come after him. Zhou Mi didn't want him. And Kyuhyun didn't need to be rejected twice.

So he let himself get pulled into the crowd on the streets. He let the people melt around him, surrounding him and making him feel less alone.

Time. Time could heal this heartache. Zhou Mi was a good friend, and he didn't want to lose him. But first he needed to get over himself and realize that all they were was friends.

And that's all they would ever be.