That One Day

Watermelon

                Ahn Daniel brought his arm up to wipe the sweat away that was beading on his forehead. It was probably the hottest day of the year and his parents made him walk the dog. Did they not realize the weather, or hear the cicadas in the distance warning you of the blistering heat? Why didn’t he bring a water bottle or even a towel to wipe the sweat away that was now stinging his eyes? He looked down at the dog which was panting enough he thought it would pass out. Maybe he should turn back, but he was already too far to turn back now.

                In the distance he could see a corner store, he reached down to his pants’ pocket, hoping that he hadn’t forgotten his wallet. He smiled to himself when he felt the folded piece of leather resting deep within fabric of his jeans. He pondered what he would buy at the store, of course he couldn’t ignore the ball of fur that was practically being dragged along with him.

                “Don’t worry little buddy, I’ll get you something as well,” he bent down and picked up the dog and cradled him in his arm.

                Just a few more steps and Daniel could finally rest his feet that were on fire. Finally reaching his destination Daniel tied the leash in a shaded area, watching as the dog flopped to the ground. He walked over to the sliding door and hoped that the air inside to store was cooler. It was, as he pushed the door opened a gust of cold air hit him like a concrete wall. It was both welcoming and shocking.

                “Hey Niel!” a person shouted from inside the store.

                Niel felt a hand rest on his shoulder, he looked behind him and noticed it was one of his classmates. Lee Byung hyun, Niel didn’t really know why he was talking to him, they never really talked at school, but he was too hot to care.

                “Uh hi,” Niel said awkwardly and moved toward the freezer that contained many frozen treats.

                He slid the door open and reached inside, grabbing his favourite, a watermelon bar. It was perfect for the hot weather. He nearly forgot that he was talking to Byung Hyun, but only for just a moment.

                “What are you doing outside, it’s like a million degrees out,” Byung Hyun smiled at him. It almost made him feel uncomfortable.

                He wasn’t good at interacting with people, and he really had nothing to say to Byung Hyun. Daniel shrugged his shoulders and walked back outside, hoping that his classmate wouldn’t follow. To his dismay, Byung Hyun was trailing his heels.

                “Is this your dog? He’s so cute!” Byung Hyun rushed over to the little ball of white fur that had curled up and was snoozing peacefully in the shade.

                “Yeah, his name is Bokshil,” Daniel sat down and started opening his ice cream.

                He watched as his classmate fawned over the puppy. He couldn’t help but smile to himself. He thought that Byung Hyun looked rather cute. He watched as Byung Hyun’s hair fell into his eyes. He watched as the sweat made his skin glisten. Daniel giggled when Bokshil jumped up and startled Byung Hyun and fell to the ground. Daniel couldn’t believe that this boy in front of him was the same boy from his class. The boy that flirted with all the girls and played every sport.

                Daniel imagined that Lee Byung Hyun would be the kind of guy that would have a different girl with him every day, not this boy that squeals and gets excited over a puppy. Byung Hyun stood up from the ground and dusted off his pants. He walked over to Daniel and sat down beside him.

                “Hey, why don’t you come over tomorrow?” He smiled at Daniel.

                Daniel pondered the thought, “Sure, why not?”

                “Awesome,” Byung Hyun beamed. “You have to bring Bokshil with you as well!”

                Daniel chuckled, “okay, I will.”

                Daniel left the corner store that day rather confused. He wasn’t really sure what had happened. He wasn’t sure why Lee Byung Hyun wanted him to go over again the next day? Daniel wasn’t sure why he felt a flutter in his chest while thinking about his classmate? All he knew was he couldn’t wait for tomorrow to be here.