You Had Me At Hello

You Had Me At Hello

I walk down the street quickly, wanting to hurry up and get the errand over with. We were just having a game of cards and the loser has to go down to the café and buy drinks. I lost. So by rules and the code of honor – which is accepting your consequences-, I have to sacrifice my precious energy and the slowly disappearing pages in my wallet. But in all honesty, I’m glad to be able to get out of Jiyoon’s apartment. I was hoping so much to lose to the point where I’m almost trying to get beaten. I guess my subconscious knows how to lose; I wonder why it never gets me a win though. Anyway, the reason of my escape is one of my best friends, Sumin.

Let me rephrase that; I got the hell outta there cause my sister from another mister is sulking over her (recently an) of a boyfriend who she used to go ‘goo goo gaga’ with.

While she was practically sobbing, not visibly though – since we made a pact to never ever cry about boys, the other girls were hugging and comforting her. I, on the other hand, was fuming and, as much as I don’t like to admit it, going all y. We continued on with our plans in hopes of making her feel better and it worked.

Ten minutes later, when Jay was in the middle of kicking our asses –especially mine- in Blackjack, a phone beeped. That pretty much signaled the second round of the “He doesn’t love me anymore” dilemma. I nearly threw Sumin’s phone out the window because of the text he sent her. Seriously, “Need space your sufocatting me & being 2 clingy” is not the right thing to say after a fight with your girlfriend. At least be considerate about it, saying she’s clingy isn’t necessary. And would it kill him to use proper grammar and spelling? Such a jerk. And she’s on her period too!

It’s a wonder that she hasn’t bawled her eyes out yet. Wait, no. It’s a miracle that she hasn’t dumped him, pour smoothie on him, step on his toes and/or unfriend him on Facebook. Though I prefer to go through the more straightforward route and force him to walk on a Lego bridge with a ten-feet drop to a river with piranhas and barbies underneath. Legos rule.

I don't understand why she would be so down because of a pathetic excuse of a human being who's lower than the dirt under my grandma's moldy tennis shoes that have two huge holes on the toes. Trust me, those pair of babies have went through a lot. Bubblegum, camel , a fly, a paperclip, a stamp - all stuck underneath them.

Sumin is a sweet girl, she deserves so much better than him. I knew I shouldn't have trusted that son of a gun. This is exactly why I never want to get associated with guys more than the 'friends' status. They propose to me, I usually forget to reject them and move to a whole other country without telling them. I should say 'hi' to them when I go to Tokyo again.. They've been giving me a bunch of things in that one-year transfer program. 

I sidestepped a puddle and gave a split-second glance at my reflection in the water. Darn it. My hair’s tousled again. I worked so hard on it too. Well, I guess fingers are good substitutes for a hairbrush. Or do they call it a comb? I don’t know the difference. I pass by a couple and look away when we were shoulder-to-shoulder, for politeness’ sake. I can only notice that the girl has blonde hair and the boy has black hair.

What type of boys do I like anyway? I don’t have any specific list. Not even a bottom line. I’ve tried thinking about it before but the more I try to grasp the idea, the more it seems impossible. Giving it a second attempt won’t do any harm. Yeah, that doesn’t sound too bad. I’ll make up my “dream guy” (God, I hope it’s not like Ken the Whiner –according to Toy Story-). So let’s start with hair.

Blonde?

I despise boys with blonde hair. Well. That came out wrong. I don’t mean the actual person, only the hair. I have a feeling it’s because of that group filled with half bunnies half b-boys who came from another planet and made a trip all the way to Earth just to jump around on stage and going on about corrupt governments (or about dodgeball. It’s possible that it’s both). It’s frustrating talking about them. (“Who do you like most in this video?” “The blonde one.” “You mean Daehyun?” “No, not that one! The other blonde!” “Ooohh.. Yongguk,” “THE BLONDE ONE!”)

Brown?

Brown hair reminds me of Ben 10. I don’t know why it has to be a cartoon character. I don’t even watch it and I don’t plan to start watching it.

Red?

Erm… No.

Black?

Meh.

Then maybe dyed?

No. I like natural better. Why change yourself when you’re “perfect”? Or however the saying goes. Something like that.

The hairstyle doesn't really matter. I only care if it's long and braided Jamaican-like like Kai and Zico, in an afro or a broom that sticks up in the air Taeyang reference.  If it's like that, I'd go as far as going all African ritual on his hair and use a lawnmower to shave it. 

I shove my hands inside my pocket. It’s so chilly. The sky is getting darker too. Storm clouds are coming this way. I better hurry up before I get caught in a downpour. I nearly trip on a rock next to the eye clinic. Darn it. My shoelaces are so frustrating! Cute though, with their rainbow colour and all, and they’re also sparkly because of the pretty silver glitter! So pretty! – But that’s not the point! The point is that they’re annoying. Period. Wait… I’m confused. How many periods are there now? – ARGH! Whatever. Who needs periods and shoelaces anyway? Getting people all dizzy and torturing people’s eyes.

Speaking of eyes, isn’t that another trait to desire when looking for a “partner”? God.. The mere thought of the word makes me want to gag. They say that eyes are the windows to the soul. But I read some stories and I can safely argue with that statement.

If it’s about the eye movements that can indicate someone’s emotion or genuineness, people can actually train themselves to lie. If it’s about the object itself, though, that’s where the doubt of the statement comes in. Womanizers look attractive; they get girls that way, don’t they? If there are so many broken hearts out there then doesn’t that mean they couldn’t see through the act? They’ve probably seen their eyes before. So why can’t they tell that nothing good is going to come out? Why do they keep saying the other’s eyes are beautiful, gorgeous or mystifying? Describing them as jewels and saying nonsense like, “sparkling emerald gems” “intelligent obsidian pools” “fiery stormy orbs” “intriguing ocean jewels” “alluring autumn marbles” or “warm and rich cocoa”. I would say green, black, gray, blue, hazel and brown. Or maybe make it fancier by adding a word before it – leaf green, pitch black, grey (just gray. How the hell does someone make something out of that?), dark blue, dark hazel, dirt brown. Yes, I said ‘dark’ countless of times but it works, doesn’t it?

So, as I stare at the dark clouds slowly closing in, I ponder about why the physical appearance matters. Then again, I don't know what I want in the personality department. Every girl wants a sweet and nice gentleman who treats them like princesses. That's what they all say but why are there still those crazy es at school who fangirl over the popular jerks? I guess what really matters is someone who makes you happy without a price to pay. 

I open the door the door to the café and the bell chimes. I love this place. It’s so comfortable and has a home-feel to it. The lights are a bit dimmed but still bright enough. They even have these cute bookshelves. I make my way to the counter, already knowing the order by memory. I step in line right behind a huge businessman in a suit and I wait for my turn. I continue to stare at his gestures to help his broken Korean. His American accent is very clear. It’s a wonder he manages to pull through with the little knowledge he has of my first language.

Foreigner..

Would I rather choose someone with a different ethnicity or the same as mine?

I hear my friends gush about Western artists all the time and sometimes Japanese or Chinese artists. Occasionally, they would discuss about Korean boys – mainly K-Pop stars. At one point, I came to the conclusion that British and Australian males seem to attract a lot of attention. Sumin “explained” (which is basically her spazzing and rambling in the speed of 100 kilometers per second) that it’s because of their accents and “gentlemen-ness”. That’s one of the most biased things I’ve ever heard. Guys are guys. Some are jerks and some are not. Does it really matter which country they come from?

Yes, I’ve decided. Throughout my entire walk, all of my ways to see something good about men that I could find “enchanting” ends up with an apathetic response on my part.

I wait for 3 more minutes before the person in front of me is able to get the message through. If only he knew that nearly everyone here is brilliant in English, it’s not your usual around-the-corner coffee house obviously, and he only needed to ask for someone else to take his order. The current one serving him is a newbie – most likely a replacement for the usual bright girl with a ponytail and a wide smile. I should ring her and congratulate her on the scholarship.

I step up in line and the young man behind the counter asked my order. I recite them flawlessly, knowing each of our favourites like it's my name. I hand him the exact amount of money before he even finished jotting down the buttons on the cashier. I step to the left and start playing with my phone, waiting for the order. This is one of the times I will actually play the outdated and old games on my phone. Snakes is such a classic way to kill time.

I jolt when someone tap my wrist. I see my favourite barista ever hand me the cups of coffee. We chat a bit before I decide that it's a good time to leave - 10 more minutes and the girls will probably start calling me endlessly. I wave and turn around-

!!

My breath hitch. I halt instinctively. My coffee!!

I turn to look at the plastic cups. I let out a relieved sigh. The precious caffeine is safe. I stiffen when I remember about the person I nearly bumped into and uttered a small apology.

I look up to see if the person is okay, or if they spill their drink (because, well, I don’t take coffee as a joke), but all words of worry flew out of my mouth with the sight I saw. A tall young man was in front of me. He was about 178-182 cm in height and looked like he’s in his early 20s. I’d say he’s not very good looking, if you ask me.

But I would be lying.

Simple top, normal jeans, worn-out sneakers and purple headphones around his neck. God.. He looks like an international super model. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is.  He has skin more flawless than mine, for crying out loud.

He smiled at me.

My breath stopped short and my heartbeat quickened. I’ve.. I’ve never felt like this before. What is this? The pounding from my chest is so clear. This sensation is so new. I can practically feel my heart drop to my stomach - like in a roller coaster. I want to throw up. My tummy hurts - like it's folding. My words are stuck at the back of my throat. I feel tired. Why am I tired? I hardly ever run out of energy just because of walking like this. My knees feel wobbly and weak. I think I’m going to hyperventilate soon. 

The stranger shoot an apologetic look and he bow his head a little before giving another killer polite smile. I can only guess to what he said because my senses didn't work clearly. I bit my lip and tighten my grip on the container that held the cups. He said something suspiciously like, 

“Hello.”

.

 

.

 

.

Damn, he’s scary.

 

The End.

 

 

 

SUPER LONG A/N : Yeah. I’m this annoying to make you read all that just to read Viking (=Yixing) say “Heeeyyy~ *wolf tone*”. Disappointed? Yeah. Them too *points at friends who laughed when I told them the idea (who also started yelling at me it’s a bad idea and I should change it)* I hope I didn’t offend anyone in here. And I apologize for anything inconvenient and hope that my accidental offensive words won’t be taken to the heart. And unless you don’t understand the last line, the anxiety she experienced is because she felt intimidated by his aura instead of feeling some sort of magnetism. I made it this way because, in my opinion, a celebrity has this certain unapproachable air around them and a strong presence that I find a bit scary.

As I've said in the foreword, this oneshot is inspired by my best friend who I can just hug to death but then she'd come back to haunt me forever.  

Now for any of you who have never felt that fluttering feeling before like my character here (because I know that not all people have experienced that tingling sensation or fluttery feeling), whether you're worried or not, your time will come. Keep acting cool and you’d find a guy you really like eventually.

Alright. Hope you guys enjoyed. Thanks for reading! Stay woah-some people~!