11th beat.

❥ artificial heartbeat.

 

 

11th beat:  Lingering.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

On the same day, Park Eunmi decided that she'd never been as bored as she was right then. And that, considering that her normal life wasn't particularly exciting either. But lying in that empty room on the bed for hours was all she could do, and being the active girl she was, it felt like torture. For the hundredth time this hour, she shot up and folded her legs, resting her elbows on her knees, pouting. In theory, the plan had sounded more promising. Again, she hadn't been thinking about how part 1 would've went. A week wasn't long, she'd thought. A week spend like this, though, seemed endless to her.

Unable to take it any longer (and even if it meant facing Hero), she arose, ready to go- wherever. Now that she stood on her two shaky legs though, she noticed again just how tired she was. And yet she hadn't been able to sleep. The feeling of being locked up against her will didn't let her, even though she knew that she was safe for now. As long as she acted according to the plan.

The girl exited her room quietly, somehow always cautious when moving around, afraid to make a wrong move. Who knew what Hero would do to her if her behavior wasn't to his liking? Silently, she entered the living room again, hoping to find it empty. She wanted to sit there and enjoy the view- perhaps, down on the streets, something was actually happening. Which was highly unlikely. To her disappointment, she spotted Hero right upon entering, lying on the sofa like before, it seemed like he hadn't even moved an inch. Hadn't changed at all. Was he sleeping after all? No, that couldn't be it. A sleeping person would toss and turn in their slumber. This was probably really some AI thing she couldn't understand. Stepping closer, Eunmi noticed with surprise that there was something about Hero that had changed. And that change was enough to make her heart skip a beat. She blinked a few times, then rubbed her eyes as if what she saw was an illusion that would vanish if she did that. However, it stayed the same. And Eunmi exhaled slowly, reminding herself to stay calm and not allowing her heart to react that way. Hero didn't wear his mask. And damn, she sure hadn't expected this kind of sight. She'd expected him to look good, since he was an AI (and she'd already liked the sight of his lips alone).What she saw still wasn't only that. Hero looked, same as JR, deceivingly human. Apart that, they weren't very similar looking. Hero seemed older, his face didn't hold any childish features she sometimes spotted in JR's face. He was handsome, and she hated to admit it.  Hated it because he was exactly her type. If he could've heard her thoughts, surely, he'd have scoffed at them, framing them as some 'silly human thought'. Appearance probably wasn't important to AIs. Not like they had anyone to please- at least she guessed as much.

Eunmi concluded that it wouldn't hurt to watch him a tad bit longer, since he seemed pretty much lifeless and she didn't expect him to wake any time soon. Besides, there was nothing better to do. And she blamed that as the only reason for staying. She crouched down to be a bit closer and continued to examine his features, somehow feeling as if she might never get to see them again. Is he dreaming? She wondered, but quickly corrected herself: Can he dream? She wouldn't get an answer.

"Are you done staring?" Hero's eyes flicked open, they had the same silver color as before, and Eunmi flinched in surprise. She'd gotten carried away, and now, she was going to receive payback for that. She should've been more careful.

"I wasn't-!" She then exclaimed, well aware of the lie she was telling. But hey, he didn't have to know. Hero arched a brow, obviously not believing her, but she was determined to defend her position stubbornly.

"Then what have you been doing? Trying to spot a weakness?" He sat up as he asked that, voice as calm as ever. Then he rested his elbows on his knees and leaned down a little, so that they were almost at eyelevel. Eunmi was careful to not let their gazes entwine. It'd make her weak.

"What weakness...", she muttered, avoiding his eyes. Then, louder this time, she added: "It's not my fault that this place is so boring." Smooth change of topics, Eunmi, she thought grimly. The AI cocked his head.

"I'm terribly sorry that it isn't to the liking of a whiny young human." The mocking tone in his voice was impossible to overhear. She puffed out her cheeks. Why was he treating her like a child?

"And I'm sorry that what I'm doing doesn't please a grumpy robot." Right when she'd finished that sentence, she brought her hands up to cover . She shouldn't have said that. What was she thinking? Eunmi was so used to quarreling with her brother that it had slipped out automatically- well, damn her big mouth. Much to her confusion, Hero seemed to ignore her words, or maybe he didn't completely.

"You're interesting." He commented, eyes slightly narrowed, yet didn't look offended other than that.

 

Soon after their short battle of words, the male AI left without mentioning where to or what he wanted to do there. Eunmi didn't think asking would've been appropriate, as he wouldn't have told her either way. To him, she was a stupid, bratty human girl. Why would he share his plans with someone like her?

She didn't want to be angry about that, and she managed for the greater part.

With the help of JR, the rest of the day passed quickly. It was late evening, and the two of them were sitting on the sofa after discovering something similar to a TV somewhere- though it was more of a video projector,  the pictures it offered were rather crappy and there was no sound. Not to mention they'd only been able to find one movie in the entire apartment.  In the end, it was better than nothing, and they'd settled for that. It was actually kind of fun watching the movie with JR- the young AI seemed utterly amazed by the fact that there were people moving on the screen. Which was kind of strange, as he himself was a technological wonder much bigger than that broken projector. It made her wonder how old exactly this apartment was. Machines like that weren't really used anymore. Not even in the city she came from. Beside her, JR twitched, and she directed her glance towards him, questioning look at her face.

"I think that guy will shoot the man. Do you?", he wrote in sluggish lines. She hadn't really been paying attention, but one look at the scene alone cleared it all.

"I think that's pretty obvious. It's an action movie after all." He nodded as if she'd just been saying something incredibly intelligent.

"Then, are there other movies than...action ones?"

"Of course, plenty." As he was still watching her curiously, she sighed, then smiled, and went on talking:

"Such as... comedies. Or dramas. Or romantic ones. Also-" She interrupted herself to put on a darker expression, and lowered her voice a little to sound more scary. "Also, there are horror movies."

JR wanted to know more about horror movies then, and so she explained to him that they were often about ghosts and that the protagonists tended to be stupid most of the time, always doing the wrong things. The boy told her he didn't like them, then. Eunmi thought the opposite. She did enjoy watching horror movies with her friends, needless to say she could handle them fine. To be honest, recalling some related memories made her miss home already. Though it hadn't even been long. Maybe, just maybe, she really was a child after all- even though she was, technically, considered an adult. Eunmi let out a long sigh that could've been mistaken for a yawn, and JR nudged her playfully.

"Are you tried? Do you want to sleep?" She gave his question some thought, then nodded. It was late. Late enough for her to fall asleep, even here, she supposed. And so, JR helped her get up, which wasn't needed, and accompanied her to her room. The two of them didn't come very far though before they heard the front door open and close again. Then, it was quiet, and if it wasn't for him appearing right in front of her then, Eunmi wouldn't have noticed that someone entered- as paradoxical as that may have sounded. Apart the creaking of the door, Hero's steps didn't create any sound that would've given him away. For a split second, their eyes locked, but the AI's gaze wandered over to JR. His lips formed a thin line. He had his mask on again, and it bothered her more than it should've.

"Mind if I have a talk with JR alone?" He asked, and Eunmi's reply came late- she wasn't used to Hero asking for her opinion. Usually, this would've been an order.

"Um, of course not."  She walked past him, who didn't even give her another look, not without eying the male closely again.

Only then, she discovered something. The black fabric of his shirt was ripped at some places, not remarkably, but plainly enough for the girl to see. Where had he gotten those? 

She refrained from asking, yet again.

 


An...update...

I'm not dead yet.

But I've been having some personal issues two weeks ago, and didn't find time to continue this till now.

But I also couldn't leave this story so unattended ;3;

Forgive this bad author. I'm slow.