n i n e

Animal Inside

 

 
 
Jeah had a smile plastered on her face when she stumbled into work the next morning. Kris was located in his usual spot and looked up when he'd realized she walked in. However before she could get to him, Kori grabbed her by the elbow and dragged her behind the counter.
 
"So how'd it go?" Her eyes twinkled curiously.
 
"Good." Jeah grinned. "How long has he been here?"
 
"Since we opened." Yixing said flatly from his barstool. He was intently folding a napkin, refusing to draw his attention from it. Jeah furrowed her brow at his bad attitude and ventured over to Kris in the corner, where he was building a house out of plastic straws.
 
"What does it take to get a cup of coffee around here?" He joked.
 
"Why did you get here so early?" She asked, sitting across from him.
 
"I didn't want to miss you." He dropped one on top and the entire structure crumbled. "Plus I had nothing better to do."
 
She glared at him. "I'll go get your coffee."
 
As soon as she left, her seat was filled.
 
"You have to stop seeing her." Yixing stated in a cool, even tone.
 
Kris folded his arms, leaning back in his chair. "And why in hell would I do that?"
 
"It's too dangerous." Yixing's soft features were somehow hardened. "You're too dangerous. It's not worth the risk."
 
"Was it worth the risk for you?" Kris asked, turning his accusations around. "It's the same situation."
 
Yixing began to shake his head.
 
"No, it is. Whenever you grow enough balls to tell your own mate what you really are, let me and mine know." Kris shoved his chair back as Jeah returned. "Change of plans."
 
He grabbed her hand and headed toward the door. "Kori, I'm kidnapping your waitress."
 
"You two kids have fun!" She called over the line of people that started to form for lunch. Yixing sent him a last warning glare, which he returned and pushed his way out the door.
 
"Where are we going today?" Jeah looked down at their interlocked hands.
 
"Do you remember last night when I said I'd tell you something?"
 
Jeah nodded.
 
"Well I can't tell you here." Kris looked at the public around them. "Come on."
 
They wove through the streets, headed for the woods at the edge of town. The trees in the distance began growing larger as they drew nearer.
 
Jeah stopped in her tracks. "Hold on, should I be worried?"
 
Kris tossed his head back and forth in thought and shrugged.
 
"That makes me worried!" She shrieked and jumped back, dropping his hand.
 
Kris took both of her small hands in his large ones. "I would never do anything to hurt you."
 
Jeah just blinked repeatedly. 'Putty.' She thought. 'I am nothing but putty.'
 
Still, Kris dragged her onward and into the woods. They arrived at a clearing. He put his hand out in front of her. "Wait here."
 
He walked out a bit further and turned to face her.
 
"Nomad."
 
Both his and Jeah's attention turned to Suho perched up on a rock. He was standing so Kris had to squint into the sun.
 
"Today is the day." He grinned. He was sweet; like poisoned honey.
 
One by one, ten boys emerged from the woods.
 
"Y-Yixing!" Jeah stuttered as he trotted up beside her. "What's going on?"
 
Kris looked at him, pleading.
 
"I have to get you out of here." He grabbed her shoulders, steering her away from the scene.
 
"But Kris-" She turned, breaking free of his grasp.
 
Suho balanced on the balls of his feet on the overhead rock. Suddenly, he pitched forward and twisted in the air, morphing into a gray blur.
 
Kris's eyes widened as he was blown backward. Jeah screamed his name but Yixing pulled her back.
 
"I said I have to get you out of here." Yixing wrapped his arms around her waist and hoisted her off the ground, carrying her out of the clearing.
 
"Let me go, I have to see him." She kicked and punched until he dropped her. She hit the ground and snapped her head up in time to see a furry black mass get up in Kris's place and barrel straight toward what was Suho. "What are they?"
 
"What we all are." Yixing stood over her watching with his hands in his pockets. Jeah looked at him with frightened eyes and scrambled away from him on her hands and knees.
 
The ring of ten boys watched motionlessly as Kris and Suho rolled around, swiping and snapping at each other. Jeah shook her head slowly, telling herself it was just a nightmare.
 
Except she didn't wake up when she felt Yixing's hand on her back, urging her to stand.
 
"What is he doing to him?" Tears streaked her cheeks as she watched Kris fly backward and skid into a tree.
 
"Showing him who's boss." Yixing helped her up, eyes never leaving the battle before them.
 
Jeah continued shaking her head as Yixing led her out of the woods. She froze momentarily. The last thing she saw before Yixing pulled her out onto the road, was Suho's shadowy, inhuman figure standing over Kris's.
 
"What the was that?" She snapped.
 
"A fight for dominance." Yixing looked down between his feet.
 
"They're-" She started, unable to finish.
 
"Wolves." He nodded.
 
"All of them." She pointed back in the direction of the clearing. He nodded again. "And you-"
 
He remained silent.
 
"You're part of this." Sobs started to permeate throughout her body. "And I don't know what's going to happen to him."
 
"He's going to be fine." Yixing took a step toward her in an attempt at comfort.
 
She evaded him.
 
"You're all monsters." She her heel, bound back for town. She stopped after a few paces. "Does Kori know about this?"
 
Yixing swallowed and didn't answer.
 
"Of course not." Jeah chuckled acidly before leaving him behind.