Last Time

Empty Bed Today, Empty Bed Tonight

large.png

 

 

 

large.jpg

 

 

 

 

 9 AM

The smell of brewing coffee hit the air in the morning. Kris slowly awoke from is slumber and opened his eyes gently. The bed felt a little lighter as he tossed around.

She must be making breakfast. Kris thought to himself.

He gathered all his strength before getting up and stretching. He had made his way to the bathroom and washed up before putting a fresh suit on. He always couldn’t figure out how to button his cuff links with one hand. It always annoyed him.

“Let me.”

A gentle voice came behind him. Kris turned around and was relieved to find his girlfriend of 4 years and now, fiancé. He gave her a small smile before putting his wrist towards her to fix.

“You need to learn how to do this once I’m not around any longer.” She chuckled. He traced his fingers along her chin and gently lifted her head. “You won’t be leaving any time soon.” He smirked.

As soon as she finished, Kris pecked her lips lightly before she darted out the room into the kitchen. He finished up getting ready and followed her. She had just gotten done setting up the table and placing the food on their plates.

He smiled to himself. I have the most amazing fiancé. his thoughts lingered. They both sat down and started eating. As usual, she passed him the newspaper and cup of coffee. 5 minutes had passed with some silence.

“So..” she trailed on while fiddling with her fork.

“So?” Kris followed without looking up from the newspaper.

“Are we going to discuss our wedding plans?” She anxiously asked.

“What about them?” He asked

“Well, I want to do them with you. It’s your wedding as well, not just mine.”

Kris sighed. “You just pick whatever you want. I don’t mind.”

She groaned quietly. “Kris, it’s our wedding. I would like your input. I’ve been asking you for the past 2 months to help me. It wouldn’t hurt to figure out what you want at the wedding.”

Kris finally set his paper down. “Babe, I only care about our marriage, not the details of the wedding.”

She was frustrated. She loved that he only cared about their deep relationship, but the wedding was for the guests to also celebrate their love. She rested her elbows on the table.

“I appreciate that, really Kris. But, I want you to understand that this wedding is important as well. I don’t want to go through this stress alone as I am now. You haven’t really been there for our wedding appointments. Can’t you just be there?” Her voice was desperate.

Kris mentally groaned. “Do you have another appointment for the wedding?”

Her frown went away quickly. “Yes.” She smiled.

“When?”

She tapped her chin before continuing her comment. “Tomorrow at 12pm for cake tasting.”

Kris shook his head immediately. “I can’t. My meeting starts at 11:30. I won’t make it since it’s an important conference.”

She heaved a heavy sigh. “So leave early.” She pouted.

“I can’t hun. This is important.” He felt guilty for not being able to go.

“Is it more important than us and our wedding?” She nudged.

Kris sighed. “Please don’t do this.”

She scoffed. “Why? Can’t you just be there? I’ve been doing this alone and it’s putting more stress on me. Kris, I can’t do this by myself anymore.”

“Don’t make me choose between you and work. Look, I wa-“Before he could finish, his phone rang. He glanced at her before taking the call.

He shut his phone after his phone conversation and sighed. “I got to go.”

She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. He moved to the other side of the table and leaned down to kiss her temple.

“I know-“

“Just leave Kris. I don’t want to talk about it anymore.” She angrily mumbled.

He patted her back before leaving the house.

 

 4 PM

Kris shifted the papers he had finished the morning before to the floor. He was already frustrated with the meeting that he had after the small argument with his fiancé. He was more worried about her than his job right now. He wondered if she was doing okay. Kris felt sorry for what he did. He didn’t know how to make it up to her.

Just then, his phone chimed. He didn’t recognize the call, but answered it anyways, wondering who it could be. “Hello?”

“Hello, may I speak to Kris Wu?” The lady on the other line asked.

“This is him.”

“Oh, hello Mr. Wu. We’re calling from the hospital for a Miss Li.”

“Is something wrong?” A small panic lingered in his voice.

“Mr. Wu, Miss Li was just rushed in not too long ago. She’s been in a fatal car accident. We really need you to come down so we can sign her surgery procedure forms.”

“I’m on my way.” Kris shut his phone and rushed to the hospital. He ran as fast as he could to the front desk.

“I’m here for Mae Li.” Kris was out of breath.

The woman searched her computer before looking up at him. “Sir, I think you should talk with the-“

“Are you Mr. Wu?” A doctor came out from a room behind them.

“Yes.” Kris quickly admitted. “Where is she? Is she alright? What happened? Can I see her?” He questioned.

The doctor sighed. “Mr. Wu, she was involved in a head on collision. She was with us 5 minutes ago.”

“Well where did she go? I want to see her.” He demanded.

The doctor cleared his throat. “I don’t know how to tell you this..” He trailed.

“Tell me what?” Kris grew impatient and so did his temper.

“She’s gone Mr. Wu. She passed away.”

Kris’ heart grew weak. He couldn’t put that image into reality. There was no way that she was gone. She was supposed to be okay when he got here.

“You’re lying.” He grumbled.

“I’m sorry-“

Before the doctor could say more, Kris had grabbed his collar.

“Fix it! Make her come back! I’ll sign the papers! Just do whatever you can! Please!” He screamed. Tears began to form in his eyes.

For the next 10 minutes, he discussed the issues with the doctor and sat down in the waiting room. Not long after, his friends and family rushed in to comfort him. He felt even worse when he saw Mae’s parents arrive. He apologized many times to them for her death. Her parents loved Kris dearly and never would blame him for such things. They all agreed to see her body before she was sent off to another location. Silence was built around everyone as they saw her lifeless body on the hospital bed.

Kris slowly crept to her side and held her cold hands. He kissed them gently as he twirled her engagement ring around her finger. He couldn’t hold his tears any longer and let it fall.

“I’m sorry Mae. I love you so much. I should have told you I was sorry earlier. I should have come to you and made it all up to you. I’m so sorry. If it wasn’t for me being so selfish, you wouldn’t have been mad at me this morning. I’m sorry Mae. Please, come back. I’ll go to the wedding appointments. I’ll do the wedding details myself I swear. I’ll do anything for you to stay. I love you Mae! Please don’t leave me!”

Kris’ voice cracked with every word said. So much pain was built in him. Mae’s parents held him tight as he cried. They knew that she wasn’t coming back. The only person she loved was Kris. So, they loved him as well. Everyone was in pain.

 

10 PM

As Kris got into bed, he set Mae’s picture on her side of the bed and huddled next to it. Tears poured out of him as he hugged it tighter. That night, the bed was lighter for Kris; just like that morning.

 

 

 

 

MY CORNER

Thank you everyone for reading! I know it's not the best but I hope you enjoyed it. :) Thanks for the support and my other two stories will be out soon!