Harmony

Harmony

It was near midnight and the dorm was silent. Most of the members were probably asleep. Jongdae was walking downstairs to get something to eat but paused when he found a grand piano sitting in the middle of the living room.

“...Where the hell did this piano come from?!”

He a dim lamp in the dark room. The piano was white and shiny, yet the keys were a little worn out. One of the pedals seemed too loose to still work. A leg was cracked. Although it wasn’t in the best condition, Jongdae thought it was impressive and decided to sit on the bench. He felt comfortable sitting in front of the piano. It reminded him of when he was a normal teenager, before he debuted with Exo -it’s been a long time since he’d played one. He laid his fingers lightly on the keys, closed his eyes, and started to play a song. The keys made scraping sounds once in awhile, but he looked as if he was in the happiest place he could think of. Near the end of the song, he heard quiet footsteps from the stairs.

 

He spun around when he heard a gentle voice.

“Do you like it?”

Yixing was leaning on the wall with an impressed smile.

“Y...Yeah. It’s yours?”

Yixing nodded while walking over to the piano. Still smiling, he dragged his fingers across the curved edges and said,

“This piano’s actually pretty old. It’s from my grandpa and I still remember having it in my house as a kid- I mean, if you look under it, you can find a bunch of doodles...”

Jongdae gave Yixing a puzzled look and ducked down to look underneath. Yixing was right- it was filled with detailed little drawings of cartoon characters and strange-looking animals.

“It’s cute.”

“Thanks. I’m surprised no one in my family’s found out yet”

Jongdae grinned. “Oh. When did it get here?”

“I had to ship it from China to here and it get here at around eight when we were watching the movie.”

There was a long silence with a few nods from each other.

“...Ah, If you were wondering why i brought it in the first place,” Yixing said, “My mom gave me a call that there was a note stuck in between two keys, and it was from my grandpa. Something along the lines of ‘let Yixing keep it’... I don’t know why though.”

Jongdae looked at the gap between the keys where the note was and looked up. He grabbed Yixing’s arm and dragged him over to the bench so he can sit with him.

“Hyung! Play me some songs~” Jongdae said enthusiastically. With an amused voice, he replied-

“Fine, fine. Only some, okay?”

However, they played for hours- duets, improvised melodies, and they even sang along to some. It was three in the morning already, and Yixing was playing his favorite song. When he got to the bridge of the song, he heard quiet breathing next to him. Jongdae was asleep, his arms resting on the edge of the piano. He had a faint smile on his peaceful face. Yixing couldn’t help but smile back. He scooted closer and placed a light kiss on his forehead before he wrapped his arms around Jongdae and fell asleep.

 

It was eight in the morning and the rest of the members were awake. They all headed downstairs so they can have breakfast. However, they stopped in their tracks when they saw the piano, just like Jongdae did last night.

“Yah, what’s that piano doing there?” Chanyeol asked.

Kai stared at the two boys who fell asleep on the bench. “Why are Jongdae hyung and Yixing hyung asleep on it?”

Everyone was talking about it for a while until Luhan walked up to the boys and poked their arms.

“Hey, wake up...”

Jongdae awoke before Yixing. He yawned. When he realized that his bandmate was still asleep with his arms around his shoulders, he blushed a little. He carefully pulled the arms off and said in a gentle voice-

“Xing xing hyung... wake... up...”

Yixing slowly opened his eyes. The sun was shining. He looked around the room and saw that some of the members were getting breakfast ready while the others were examining the piano. He looked to the right and saw the younger, who was shyly looking down. He glanced up when Yixing looked at him.

“Let’s go eat,”, he said.

When all twelve members were sitting around the table, Yixing told them the story of why he brought the piano from China. He included one thing that he didn’t tell Jongdae last night- that his grandpa used this piano to play songs for his grandma ever since they got married. ‘Cute’, Jongdae thought.

 

Playing the piano at midnight became a routine for Jongdae and Yixing. Every day, the younger went up to the older’s room and asked him to join him in playing. Some days, they played for only a few minutes, while they played until dawn for some. Every time their hands touched, they blushed and shyly looked away. The distance between them when they sat together became shorter and shorter, day by day. The bond between them eventually became unbreakable and they spent much of their time together. Sometimes, Jongdae would follow Yixing into his bedroom and they slept together. Each secretly placed innocent kisses on the lips when the other was asleep.

The members noticed their changes, but they never mentioned it to them out loud. The two seemed too happy together.

 

One day, it was already one o’clock and Yixing didn’t hear the usual knock on the door. He became worried and went downstairs. The piano was there, and the fallboard was still over the keys. However, the small lamp beside it was and a small sticky note was stuck on it. He went closer and read the note.

“Hyung, I’m really sleepy today so I decided to go to bed early. Sorry for disappointing you...

PS. Look under!”

Yixing was a bit confused, but he looked under the piano. In a small space between the childhood doodles, there was an unfamiliar heart carved into the piano. It was dark, so it was hard to see, but he looked carefully and saw “ZY+KJ” carved inside of the heart. He ran his finger over the bumpy carved wood. He smiled just like when Jongdae was with him.

 

He quietly went upstairs and opened the door to the room of the younger, making sure not to wake him. He went over to the bed, slid in, and closed his eyes while hugging Jongdae from behind. Few minutes after Yixing came in, he whispered,

“I love you...” and turned around, facing the other. Yixing nodded and replied,

“I love you too...”

They shared a true, honest kiss before they fell asleep.

 

---------------

that was a really random thing i thought of when i was playing my (cheap and small) piano. by the way, those songs i used are two of my most favorite piano songs :)

it was mostly inspired by when lay played the piano on shimshim tapa, and the idea of the grand piano sitting randomly in the room was from henry's "trap" teaser. (and it came out today, so you should watch it if you haven't yet ^^)

i don't know if it was that good so please comment anything i should improve on... thanks :D

(if you want an additional chapter, please comment that too)