Prologue

The Heart's True Desire

“Kyungsoo,” his adoptive father, Junmyeon, said.

 

Kyungsoo flinched as his father attempted to touch him.

 

Junmyeon sighed and suddenly said, "Kyung, I know it's hard to trust someone when you've been in a traumat—"

 

"No! D-Don't m-mention it, p-please..." Kyungsoo shivered and let out exasperated breaths, as if he was hyperventilating. Junmyeon covered his mouth when he suddenly realized his mistake.

 

"U-Uncle... I-I didn't knew he w-will do those things to me," he stuttered as the visions from his past flashed in his mind.

 

"A-And mother, how can she not believe m-me?" Kyungsoo sobbed.

 

"Shh, now, Kyung, I-I'm sorry for reminding you those horrible things... I didn't do it on purpose. Don't worry, they won't be able to reach you now, you're safe here with me and your mother. Please trust us," Junmyeon pleaded and caressed his son's face.

 

Kyungsoo started to relax and the flashbacks of his horrible past started to fade. After a few minutes, he fell asleep, while cradling on his father's arms.

 

Kyungsoo looks so peaceful when he doesn't dream about his past, Junmyeon thought as he tucked Kyungsoo into the bed. “I’m sorry, Kyung, I didn’t remind you on purpose. I’m such a failure; I was supposed to make you forget all the past you’ve remembered despite the accident,” Junmyeon kissed his son’s forehead before leaving the room. “Sweet dreams…”

 

“I wish that he’ll meet someone, someone who can make him forget all the bad remnants in his memories,” Junmyeon mumbled in a hopeful tone while filing the results of Kyungsoo’s psychological profile.

 

 

Kim Kyungsoo (formerly Do Kyungsoo)

19 years old

January 12, 1994

Son of Do Kyungseop and Chae Jeosoo

Adopted by Kim Junmyeon and Kim Taeyeon

Diagnosed with Haphephobia, Agoraphobia, and Anthropophobia due to ual abuse done by his uncle and physical abuse by his mother

Symptoms/Evidences:

- Looks down when being talked to

- Flinches when someone attempts to touch him

- Thrashes or cries when physical contact occurs

- Blushes in eye contact

- Extreme discomfort in the presence of one or more person

 

 

After taking one last glance at the paper, Junmyeon sighed and plopped himself at the couch; he decided that he needed to take a rest as well.

 

~~~

 

Why did I have to die so early? Did I do something wrong? Probably, if I did, then I wouldn’t even be here in heaven.  I have already been here for as long as I have remembered, ten years, maybe? And I still can’t remember a thing before I died. All I remembered was my name, Seohyun contemplated as she tapped the water in the small pond, creating a ripple effect which temporarily distorted her reflection in the crystal clear liquid.

 

Seohyun gasped as someone tapped her from the back, accidentally stepping on the puddle of water.

 

Seohyun’s wings flapped abruptly and hit the suspect square in the face. The man groaned, “Seohyun noona, why’d you have to hit me?”

 

Seohyun turned around and saw a flash of color striking her eyes. “O-Oh, Sehun-saeng, I’m sorry! I was thinking deeply and you startled me so... I’m sorry!” Seohyun bowed repeatedly.

 

“Is this still about the ‘love of your life’ you keep on thinking about?” Sehun nudged his noona while looking at her with suggestive eyes.

 

“Yah, it's not the 'love of my life', he's the one who made my life complete when I was once in earth. I wanted to remember him and nothing but a faint sound kept on ringing in my head,” Seohyun said.

 

“What’s that sound, noona?” Seohyun just shook her head, telling the boy that she doesn’t want to talk about it. The boy pouted. “Oh, okay. I’ll go ahead now. I still have some messenger stuff to do. Don’t forget to go to the Golden Gates!” The boy gave Seohyun one last cheeky smile before dashing back to the direction where he came from.

 

Seohyun nodded and took one last glance of the water before taking off to the said place. A voice echoed in her mind.

 

“You will always be my heart’s true desire…”

 

~~~

 

"What am I doing here outside the house?" Kyungsoo said to himself as he looked at the tranquil view of the grasslands, the sun setting with all its glory and plants and grasses swaying along with the peaceful harmony of the wind. He never felt this comfortable. It was as if nothing could come against him.

 

He then tensed when his eyes roamed onto two children, by the only tree that was standing on the whole field; the little boy was sitting on the branch, while the little girl was sitting on the swing that was secured on the branch.

 

‘I-Is that…me?’ Kyungsoo squinted his eyes at the boy, he and the boy looked very similar.

 

“Hey,” the little boy called.

 

“What is it, Kyungsoo?” the little girl asked, Kyungsoo felt his heart twinge in bliss as he heard the girl’s voice, and it was comforting. But Kyungsoo cannot see the face of the owner of the familiar voice, for the sun’s rays were too bright as if it was blocking the little girl’s face on purpose.

 

Their voices sound extremely near, albeit the distance from him and the two children.

 

“Promise me you won’t ever forget… that you will always be my heart’s true desire.” The girl giggled.

 

As Kyungsoo stepped forward—desperately wanting to take a glimpse at the girl—the light had gotten brighter; Kyungsoo took the second step, the third, and the fourth.

 

“I promise.”

 

At the fifth step, everything went white.

 

~~~

Soooo, after many days of waiting, and many times of reading it, the prologue is finally up. Honestly, I forgot the original plot. I was like, "Crud, how do I start this over?!" So it took me quite a while to type this. Sorry it took quite long. Do comment your thoughts.

- teukdeulmyun