Chapter 1

Fingers Intertwined

“Get out! You rascal!” The landlady shouted and threw out Baekhyun’s things. One of his bags hit Baekhyun’s head.

“I’m going!” Baekhyun loaded his things into his car and went off. His independent life was a failure. He failed to pay the house rent so he had to go back to his home where the prosperity that he hated the most lived. He cursed inwardly and drove off home.

His parents made a face as soon as he stepped into the house. “So you can’t live without us, right?” His father started to argue. Baekhyun rolled his eyes. His father’s words were entering from his right ear and took an exit through his left ear. Whatever, dad. I don’t ing care.

“Baekhyun, I miss you.” His mom voiced from back. Baekhyun raised a brow and pulled her into a hug. “I miss you too, mom. That’s why I came back.”

“Or maybe you failed to find a house.” His dad mocked. Baekhyun shot a death glare.

“I didn’t. I failed to pay the rent because you blocked my cards, dad.” He snapped, still hugging his mother.

His father rolled his eyes. “Oh really? Luckily I didn’t take your car back, Baekhyun. Be grateful. Learn to be grateful.”

His mom pulled away from the hug and looked at his father. “Dear, why did you block his cards? You shouldn’t do that! He just asked to leave this house for a month, doesn’t mean you can block his money!” She burst out.

Baekhyun tapped his mom’s shoulder and gently shook his head. “Mom, I won’t leave you anymore. I’ll be living here forever.” He smiled and went to his bedroom.

There comes the typical naughty boy, Baekhyun. Failure of paying the rent wasn’t a problem to him. Most probably he was chased out because he used to distract a girl there. The girl who was living at the next door. Maybe she complained to the landlady.

Failure of paying the rent made it worse.

Baekhyun was not a man who loves to disturb girls, but that girl had a specialized aura designed for him that made him fall for her in an instance.

The girl. Park MinJung.  Damn, that girl is hot! I fell for her.

Baekhyun was not an easy man. He wasn’t a type who fell for somebody easily. He used to disturb girls but that particular girl was different. The light came from her eyes were different. He heaved a long sigh, thinking that he couldn’t meet that girl again.

I have to get her. Oh Lord, I’m in love. Help me.  

 

---

 

Baekhyun’s foot tapped rhythmically to his favourite song, Angel – EXO. It was his special day. He wanted to ask MinJung for a date. He couldn’t wait for any longer. “Minjung-ssi!” He called her softly. In a while, the door cracked opened and a weak gentle looking girl with her beautiful straight hair, dressed up in jeans which he adored much and loose shirt. Her style fluttered Baekhyun’s heart. Simple and y.

“What are you doing here?” She startled and slowly approaching him.

“Asking for a date?” He told her with a smirk.

She shook her head. “Go away. You’ll be chased by the landlady again. Stop disturbing me. Stop trying to be a friend of mine.” She slowly took her distance away from Baekhyun.

Baekhyun looked at his hands. Should I stop her? I should. But wait. Damn it. I forgot something. Baekhyun is an idiot.

He rushed towards her and grabbed her arm. “Wait!” He said, taking his breath. She gave a confused look.

“Don’t touch me, Baekhyun. Go away or the landlady will hit you.” She gently pushed Baekhyun away. Baekhyun’s heart fluttered again. Her pale fair skin made her look vibrant. She’s irresistible.

“If you really feel sorry for me, please wait for a while. Wait here. I gotta get something.” He took a quick pace and came back with something hidden at his back.

“Park Minjung-ssi. Will you go out with me?” He finally confessed, gasping for air after a quick run. He held out a bouquet of red rose in front of her with a bright smile flashed on his face.

She froze with her eyes locked, looking deeply into the red rose and suddenly, “Accchoom!” She sneezed. She pushed the rose bouquet towards him. “Go away. I have allergy on flowers.” She cupped and nose covering from the flower scent, in a flash, she walked away.

However, Baekhyun didn’t realize that she was secretly smiling.

---

 

 

Baekhyun was there after three days. He was a man who couldn’t recognize the meaning of giving up.  As usual, he was waiting for Minjung… in the middle of the road. “Minjung-ah! Come out!” He shouted, silently hoping that Minjung will come out and the landlady won’t come out to hit him.

He blinked his eyes and he saw Minjung was heading out.

Suddenly.. *HONK!!!*

“Baekhyun-ssi!”

 

---

 

“Baekhyun-ssi… Baekhyun-ssi…”

Baekhyun’s eyes flew opened. “Where am I?” He suddenly became panic.

Minjung cleared . “You’re lying on a sofa, in my house.”  She said. “Calm down. You have wound on your arm.”

He flinched and got up. He moaned in pain when he accidentally collide his arm with something hard. He remembered a car hit him when he was waiting for Minjung. He was thinking of testing her whether she loves him or not. He thought his question had an answer. Minjung loves and cares about him.

Minjung cares about me.

Minjung went to the kitchen and came back with a bowl of chicken soup with garlic bread. She put the tray onto the table and went back to the kitchen before coming out with a glass of milk.

“Eat first. I heard your stomach grumbling.” She said gently and Baekhyun quickly grabbed the garlic bread before dipping it into the chicken soup.

“Minjung-ssi.” He called out after swallowing the bread. “You love me, right?”

She froze like an ice. No words escaped from . She kept nudging Baekhyun’s questioning stare.

“I know. You love me. You showed it. Stop playing hard-to-get and let’s date.” He said and kept eating the bread dipped into the soup. He gulped the milk in intervals. “See? You gave meals to me. You love me, Minjung.”

“Shut up, Baekhyun. You’re jumping into a ridiculous conclusion.” Her voice was weak. Baekhyun heard her sniffs. As she raised her face, tears were rolling down. “It’s hard to believe that a perfect person like you fell for someone imperfect, like me.”

Imperfect.

“I’m dying, Byun Baekhyun. Do you want to marry a dying girl like me? Leave me alone.” She added and tears rolled down her cheeks again. She was hurt, indeed. It was the first time someone cared about her and she was about to give everything to him when she knew she couldn’t.

Baekhyun left speechless. “What are you talking about? Everyone dies eventually. It’s just we don’t know when it is.”

“Of course… But I knew when I’ll die..” She whispered.

 

 

---

 

 

Baekhyun was strolling, back from fighting when he saw Minjung was knitting something, sitting on the swing in front of her house. Minjung raised her head weakly and smiled thinly. She felt uncomfortable.

He waved in friendly manner and approached her.

“Next time, look around when you’re crossing the road.” She said firmly yet, her voice was perfectly weak.

He pretended not to hear her. “What are you doing outside? It’s cold.”

She rolled her eyes and kept knitting. She was annoyed. “I love it. Go home, Baekhyun.”

“Or maybe you’re doing this on purpose to let me see you. Or maybe…. You want me to give a warm hug? Or…something hotter inside?” He sheepishly smiled, teasing her.

She didn’t feel moved. She was about to say something when a pang hit her chest. She let out several coughs while covering .  Baekhyun started to feel anxious, ran to her and rubbed her back. “Are you okay? Minjung?”

A gasp escaped Baekhyun’s mouth as she collapsed on his lap exactly when she was about to get up. “Minjung-ah!”

She coughed weakly and the handkerchief fell from her hands. He took it immediately and completely shock. Blood.

“Baekhyun, I-“

She didn’t finish her sentences. She collapsed and her eyes were shut close. His eyes were teary but he tried his best to carry her using his petite body.

 

He caught a taxi and loudly yelled, “Hospital, please!!”