Run Down the Field [And Into My Arms]

Run Down the Field [And Into My Arms]

I dedicate this to my home girl with whom I plotted this ship


 

It was a hot and humid April afternoon. School had just ended and Minho could feel the weight of school slowly lift off his shoulders as he changed into his practice soccer uniform. Lacing up his cleats, he let all thoughts of homework - all thoughts of essays and looming SAT dates - just flow out of him. He reached into his duffel bag to retrieve his water bottle and made his way out of the locker room to the field.

 

The sun was shining brutally and he raised his hand to shield his eyes from the attack. He noticed someone was already taking advantage of the field. As he got closer, he could make out red violet hair, soft pale skin glistening with sweat, and beautiful brown eyes squinted in concentration. He smiled to himself, pleased to see Luhan doing so well and just plainly pleased to see Luhan. He remembers when Luhan first came to him during soccer tryouts. How he told him he always wanted to be on the soccer team but felt that he wasn’t good enough. He remembers the way Luhan’s eyes lit up when he told him that he could be on the team and that he would train him.

 

“He really has come a far way.” He thinks to himself, remembering how Luhan would trip over his feet when he first began. “And now he’s finishing his last season like a pro.” This thought makes Minho’s stomach drop. He forgot that Luhan was a senior this year and is leaving him in just a few weeks. He decides to relish every second he gets with the beauty.

“Hyung!” He shouts as he jogs toward the elder. Luhan snaps out of his reverie and looks up, a smile breaking out when he sees Minho coming toward him. He propelled the ball up with his left foot and caught in, tucking it under his arm. Minho’s stomach filled with butterflies as Luhan neared him.

“How’s uh how’s it going??” Minho mentally scolded himself for being awkward.

Luhan just beams up at him. “Well, I just need some help with stealing the ball from an opponent.”Luhan scratches the back of his head. “Could you help me?”

“Uh well yeah! Here give me the ball, I’m gonna start going up and down the field. You just run in and try to intercept me and take the ball. Aim to come at me from the side and take it that way.” Minho took the ball from Luhan’s outstretched arms. He tossed it onto the field and began  kicking the ball along with him like a satellite stuck in his gravity up and down the field. Luhan stood on the sidelines and watched Minho. He was feeling a little nervous seeing how Minho was a tall and intimidating player, not to mention his team captain. He took in the way the breeze played in Minho’s hair, the way his powerful legs propelled him forward, how majestic he looked. Luhan felt nervous again, but for an entirely different reason. He gave himself a pep talk and took off after his captain, repeating what Minho told him earlier.

Luhan came up behind Minho on his left flank. He struggled keeping up with him but pushed through it. He drew closer and decided to go for it. Luhan mingled his right foot between Minho’s ankles, desperately trying to get the ball. Minho sped up, trying to maneuver away from the shorter. Luhan sped up with him, fighting more intensely for the ball. But Minho took control, making a turn. Luhan wasn’t ready for the sudden change of course and stumbled. His feet became tangled and he went tumbling. His arms flailed and reflex kicked in, his hand shot out to grab anything that may stutter his fall. Those delicate, beautifully pale fingers wrapped around the front of Minho’s jersey, taking him with him. The giant came tumbling down on the porcelain doll.

Regaining his sight from the fall, Luhan looked up into two large onyx orbs that seemed to go on for miles. Minho looks down into delicious vats of chocolate. Booth boys just stayed there, relishing in the feeling of each other. Minho had never been so close to Luhan. He memorized the details he never saw before. The smudge of magenta on his right temple where the hair dye got away from him, the way his left eye is slightly higher than the other. His eyes traveled down to notice the scar on his bottom lip, then he was noticing just his lips. Noticing how soft they looked. How his tongue suddenly darted out and dragged across his lower lip. Minho was fixated on his lips.

So he went for it.

Minho dipped down and captured Luhan's lips with his own. Luhan froze. His eyes snapped open, startled. Slowly, they fluttered close and he melted into the kiss. Their lips moved slowly against each other, relishing in the feel of the other. Luhan's arms slowly came up to wrap themselves around the back of Minho's neck, Minho rested his weight on one elbow and gripped Luhan’s waist with his free hand. The sun beat down on them, intensifying the sensation. Minho brought his hand up to cup Luhan’s cheek as he pulled away. He, ever so gently, ran his fingertips down Luhan’s cheeks, eliciting a shudder from the latter. The lay there and just took in the other, their breaths mingling together. A bead of sweat rolled off of the tip of Minho’s nose and unto Luhan’s jersey, bringing them both back to reality.

Minho, reluctantly, straightened up and extended his hand down to the prince. Luhan took his hand and felt his own get lost in that firm grip. Unable to meet another’s eyes, they continued with practice.

Once it was over they left with a smile plastered on their faces and the promise of another practice next Tuesday. They would both go home and lay in bed, thinking of that kiss over and over. Luhan would perpetually touch his lips. Minho would dream of those soft scarred lips. They would wait in excitement for Tuesday, awaiting to see what else could happen between them.