Lucky Girl

Lucky Girl

Fans got a surprise. They got a call from Exo. They got to talk like boyfriend and girlfriend for a few moments. As I listened I cried. I had been waiting for a call from him all day. And I couldn't bear the thought of him talking to another girl for fake for a few moments. I could hardly speak to him or see him anyway. It was so difficult after preparations for the new EXO album started.
With each passing member my heart sank lower and lower. Everyone in the studio seemed to be having a good time. Laughing at the member talking to their “girlfriend”. When I heard it was his turn. I let out a cry. I was alone today. And he promised me that I wouldn't be. I jumped as the phone rang and I cleared my throat before answering.
“Yeoboseyo?”

“Yeoboseyo it is your boyfriend!”
My eyes widened as I turned down the volume on my laptop. He called me. On the radio.
“O-Oppa?”

“How are you babe?”
I swallowed, “Alone. Why aren't you here with me right now?”
“I'm sorry. But I didn't forget what today is.” He said, in the background the other members laughed and made sounds.
“Really?” I let out a small cry.

“Don't cry. I'll be with you when I'm done here.”
“Really?”
“Ye. Until then enjoy the broadcast and listen to our song okay?”
“Okay.” I breathed. “Salanghae Oppa.”
“Salanghaeyo. Sleep well.”
“De.” I nodded wiping the tears away. “Annyeong.”
“Annyeong babe.”
After the phone call ended I got up from the table and went to my bedroom and picked out a simple yet cute outfit. The one he saw me in the first time we met. A long, loose red and white stripped tank top and a light gray thin cardigan and skinny jeans. I ran a brush through my hair and sprayed the perfume me bought me once and put on my light pink lip stick to wait.
He said he'd come. I sat waiting in my small apartment. There wasn't much time before the day was over. But I believed he could make it in time. I waited in the almost dark apartment. The clock slowly ticked time away like it was nothing.
Sometimes it does feel like nothing. But in this moment it was something. It was the last bit of the day. And I was alone. I put on my headphones and began to drown out everything and listened to our song. The song that he gave to me the second it was finished. He said that I kept appearing in his mind when he heard this song. He sang it for me. I fell asleep listening to his voice.
When I opened my eyes I saw him step into my apartment. He took off his shoes and slipped on his slippers before walking to me on the couch and bend down to look me in the eyes.
“You came.”
“I told you I would.” He smiled at me, his eyes almost disappearing as he did. His hand rested on my head and he patted my hair. “Happy Birthday.”
My eyes filled with tears again as I sat up to wrap my arms around his body.

He didn't even change from the radio show. He came here. For me. So I wouldn't be alone. I cried in his chest and he only hushed me and my hair and back.
“Baby don't cry.” he joked.
I laughed slightly and gently hit him with my fit, “How many song titles are you going to pun?”
“All of them.”
I pushed away to look him in the eyes. He held my face in his hands and wiped my tears away with his thumbs.
“I love you.” He smiled before kiss my forehead.
After the soft kiss he walked back to the door and picked up a small box and took it to the small kitchen. Upon opening it, inside was a cake. I laughed at what cake it was. It was one of EXO's cakes.
“Sorry it's not a birthday cake.” He said before pulling out candles from his back pocket. “But these will spell it out.”
I smiled up at him and let him stick the candles in the cake and light them.

He sang happy birthday to me in his perfect voice and told me to make a wish. I watched the candles burn for a moment before blowing them out. Not wishing for anything because I had everything right here right now.
It didn't matter that I could barely see him or speak to him because when I did I forgot about not being with him. He clapped and grabbed two forks for us to share the cake. We stood in the kitchen leaning on the counter stabbing our forks into the soft cake. He fed me a few pieces and I returned the favor.
He didn't have much time but he still wanted to hold me for a while so we made our way to the couch and I laid on top of him with my ear pressed to his chest. I listened to his heart beat and closed my eyes. It was one of my favorite sounds. His laughter was the other. They always made me smile and made my own heart flutter. I could feel the blood rush to my checks whenever his laugh rang in my ears. In an instant it would turn my worst day to my best just hearing it.
“Hey.” He whispered, his voice vibrating his chest.
“What?”
“I got you something. It isn't much but it had a deep meaning.” He said reaching into his pocket and pulled out his class ring.
“You're giving this to me?”
“Yes. I want you to have it.”
“But-”
“I know, but, think of it as a promise from me.”

I took the ring between my fingers and looked at it. His class stone in the center with his name above the mascot on the right side with music notes and his graduation year on the left side of the stone. He took it from my hands and slipped it on my finger. It was too big but I didn't care. He was giving it to me. Something that meant a lot to him. And he was giving it to me. As a promise.
Not long after I walked him to the door and as he stepped down to slip on his shoes I wrapped my arms around and buried my face in his back.
“I'm really proud of you.”
He let out a soft laugh.
“I mean it. I'm really happy to see how far you've come in this short time.”
“I only have one wish though.”
“And what's that?”
“To have you by my side all the time.”
I let go and he turned around, “But I am.”
He raised a brow.
I placed my hand over his heart, “I'm right here,” and I placed my other hand on my heart, “And you're here.”
“I love you.” he smiled before wrapping his arms around me one more time and placed a kiss on the top of my head. I wrapped my arms around him once again and pushed up to my toes to kiss his lips.
It would be a while before we saw each other again. But at least I got to see him today. My birthday. He was the only one I had now. So today of all days was the most import to me. Because no matter what. I always saw him. I was lucky that way. I watched him leave and before he got into the back of the van he turned around and waved. Smiling my smile. I waved back and he got in the car before the door closed and drove off. I turned back to my apartment and locked the door behind me.
I looked around to the pictures and memories I had of me and him even the one's with EXO. If the fans knew of me half would call me a Lucky Girl and the other half would hate me. Because of how close I was to EXO and him. But I knew him long before he even entered SM.
I changed again and fell onto my bed. Through the moonlight shining from the window, a cool breeze bushing the curtains open I looked at the ring he gave me. It was the last present his grandfather gave him before he died. He always had it with him. When he didn't wear it it was in his pocket or on a chain around his neck. It was that special to him. And for him to give it to me. As a promise. I knew that one day I'd be the luckiest girl in the world.
But until that day. I have to stay in the shadows of the fans as he walked past into SM. As he went to the gate at the airport. I have to stay strong knowing I can't always be with him. That I can't always hold him when he needs it. That I can't always kiss him when I feel like it. That talking to him would be rare. But those moments are the most precious to me. The ones I hold dear to my heart. As much as him.
Lucky? Sometimes. Today I was lucky. But tomorrow it will just be another day alone as I watch him from afar. As I cheer him on with thousands of other fans screaming for EXO.
The End.