[m é m o i r e.]

s h a t t e r e d

 

 

Jongin woke up the next morning feeling drunk.

 

 

His eyes fluttered slowly as it adjusted to the soft early morning light that filtered through the tapestries. The white walls of his small apartment had a shade of sunshine yellow and it made him feel like everything’s okay. He sat up, a rush of vertigo hit him and he raised his hand to his head, a small groan escaping his mouth. When he finally gained his sense, he opened his eyes and only then did he see an awful sight—his glass table smashed, his books ripped apart, chairs toppled over. “Was it that bad?” He thought. He carefully stood up and put on his red Havaianas that was a gift from her for his 19th birthday. His heart ached again. He remembered how she surprised him by sneaking in his apartment.

He was half-asleep when he got home—a result from dancing and singing from morning ‘til dawn. He was putting his key into the lock when he heard shuffling from the other side of the door. His heartbeat quickened, palms starting to sweat as he turned the golden doorknob with a shaking hand. Jongin opens the door, his breath stopping. “Hello?” His voice croaks. He enters his apartment with all the lights out, making the aura more creepier. Reaching out to the wall adjacent to him, Jongin feels the wall for the light switch, his breath getting more ragged. “Where is that damn switch?!” He is getting more and more nervous, heart in his throat. His calloused hand finally finds the darn light switch, but is hesitant to press it. “What if a serial killer broke into my house? I’d be dead in an instant! I should’ve continued those taekwondo lessons eomma and appa signed me up when I was younger!” He mentally groaned. Jongin closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “Might as well savor this moment..” He pressed his finger onto the light switch and waited for the intruder to lunge at him. Nothing freaky happened. Popping his eyes open, Jongin was surprised to see her holding a round cake with covered in chocolate, delectable strawberry slices and a messy “Happy birthday Jongin” written in blue icing. She was holding in her laugh, and Jongin wanted the ground to swallow him up. He wanted to smack himself for his stupidity. “Okay, okay. You can laugh at me..” He mumbled. She just giggled and Jongin smiled sheepishly. He scratched the back of his head mentally facepalmed himself. She reached for his hand and led him to his kitchen. Electric currents ran though out Jongin’s body, and he wondered if she felt the same. She put the cake down the countertop and stuck the birthday candles in. She lit them up one by one, Jongin noticing cuve upward as she admired her work. She turned around and faced him, “Make your wish.” She said. Jongin scoffed. “What am I, a kid?” She pouts. “Ya, blowing birthday candles aren’t just for kids! My halmeoni is 83 years old and she still enjoys blowing her candles!” “Sorry, but the “birthday candle blowing” is not my thing.” “Pffft. Fine. I’ll blow your candles for you.” “Go ahead then.” “Are you sure?” Jongin bobbed his head. “Yup. 110% sure.” “Well, okay…” She stooped down, clasped her hands tight, and closed her eyes. Jongin just stared at her, his heart beating so fast. She blew out the candles and  clapped her hands. She turned her head and locked her soft, brown orbs into his dark ones. Taking a step closer, she tiptoed and whispered in his ear, sending shivers to his spine. “Happy birthday, Jongin.”

 

 

Hearing that, Jongin wanted to know what she wished for.