Final

I've Seen You Around

Jongup sees Himchan on his first day at school. He's surrounded by a swarm of girls but Jongup realises that Himchan can't seem to take his eyes off the male writing music in the corner of the cafeteria. Jongup notices how Himchan's eyes light up when the male looks up at him but he pouts once more when the male scoffs at him. 

Jongup chews on his muffin as Himchan shoos all the girls away and nervously takes a couple of steps towards the male but it's not long before he ends up face planting the floor. One of the jocks tripped him. 

Jongup still watches, indifferent to everything around him.

Himchan bruises easily, he notes, as Himchan tries to hide the purple mark under his sleeve. Himchan pricked his finger too but nobody seemed to notice. Nobody besides Jongup, that is. Jongup watches as Himchan stumbles out of the cafeteria instead.

"Pity. I was hoping for more drama."

-

Jongup sees Himchan a week after his first day, just that Junhong and Youngjae are trailing behind him this time round. The two are still discussing the latest Iron Man despite having watched it eons ago. Jongup perks up when he sees Himchan because it gives him something else to focus on besides his two friends.

Himchan's still surrounded by girls but for a whole other reason. Jongup notices his busted lip and the dried blood above his eyebrow. He doesn't actually know what he's doing but he quickens his pace towards Himchan and offers his hand. "Come on, stop turning yourself into a show."

Jongup pulls Himchan up a bit too roughly but he isn't fazed. Jongup pulled Himchan through the crowd of girls and pushed him into one of the empty washrooms.

Jongup tugs at the toilet paper and dampens it with a bit of tap water. He sees Himchan reel back at the torn pieces of toilet paper but he tugs him forward and cleans the dried blood of his face.  "You need to be more careful with yourself." Jongup nags but stops himself short when he sees Himchan tear up.

"It's not like I did this to myself. Those guys just won't leave me alone."

"What guys?"

"Yongguk's friends. They don't like the fact that I like Yongguk."

Jongup has to think for awhile before his mind registers who Yongguk is. 'The songwriter'

"And he lets his friends do this to you?"

"He doesn't care."

"Why do you even like this guy?"

"A human doesn't choose who they like, the heart chooses for them. I can't help but like him."

Jongup doesn't utter a single word and cleans Himchan up silently. He knows he's not in the right place to tell Himchan off because his heart beats for someone who doesn't even know him.

-

Jongup sees Himchan again the next day after school. Himchan's struggling with all his books and his violin in the other hand as he tries to get down the stairs. Jongup knows that this can only end badly and he swoops in before anything can happen. Himchan jumps a little when Jongup steals his books from him. "W-what are you doing?"

"Saving you from a fractured arm. Been there, done that."

Jongup swoons inside when he sees Himchan's thankful smile and eye dimple. "Thanks....uh.....I didn't catch your name the last time."

"It's Jongup, Moon Jongup. My friends call me Gup."

"Can I call you Gup?"

"If you wish to."

Jongup thinks Himchan looks absolutely adorable while he tests his nickname out, a small smile gracing his face when he finally gets used to it.

"I'm Himchan, Kim Himchan."

"I know."

-

Jongup sees Himchan every day of the week now because Himchan claims that he's Jongup's bff. Jongup doesn't really take a liking to the label because he'd prefer changing the b to stand for boy instead of best but it's as much as he can get from Himchan. Jongup's learnt a lot about Himchan. Like how he likes the colour black and how his favourite cup of coffee is an iced americano.

"Jonguppie! Guess what I found out!"

"What is it Chan?"

"There's a guy from the year below mine that wants to bring you to the carnival on Friday!"

Jongup's face drops when he hears Himchan's words. 'Is he not even jealous?'

Jongup plasters a smile onto his face once more when he sees Himchan's face droop because of him.

"That's great Chan. Who is it?"

"It's Jung Daehyun. He's really nice so you should go with him so you won't be alone!"

"Alone? I can always go with you Chan."

"Oh, I forgot to mention that Bang freakin Yongguk invited me to go with him!"

Jongup hopes that Himchan can't hear his heart shattering into a trillion pieces. He hopes Himchan can't hear the voice in his head yelling at Himchan to stop breaking his heart. Jongup knows he has to swallow his pride for Himchan. 'You're doing this for Himchan, Moon Jongup. Pull yourself together.'

"He did?! That's great Chan! I hope you have fun with him."

Jongup hopes that Himchan can't hear the tears in his voice.

-

Jongup sees Himchan at the carnival, alone. Daehyun had gone off to buy candyfloss for the two of them and he was left alone outside the 'House Of Love' as they called it when he spotted Himchan sitting by himself, sipping on his milkshake with tear-stained cheeks.

Jongup totally forgets that Daehyun told him to stay right there and he walks up to Himchan, worry in his eyes.

"Chan, why are you alone?"

"Yongguk didn't turn up. He texted me half an hour ago and he called me a ."

Jongup feels his insides set on fire but he controls his urge to punch something and settles down next to Himchan.

"Yongguk's an idiot."

Jongup holds Himchan tight in his arms and lets him cry all he wants, even when he notices Daehyun searching for him in the crowd.

"Chan, do you want to go with me then? Daehyun will be fine on his own. All he ever does is talk about himself anyway."

Jongup beams down at Himchan as he finally looks up from his sneakers.

"You'd do that for me?"

"I'd do anything for you, you dummy".

-

Jongup sees Himchan as the older male watches the popcorn machine with a childish gleam in his eyes. Himchan's amused by the way to corn just pops like a firecracker and he demanded Jongup to let him watch for a bit more. Jongup chuckles when Himchan squeals at the corn popping.

"Chan, we should probably get going. The lantern festival is about to start."

Himchan is about to throw a tantrum but he holds it in and nods his head with a pout.

"Say what. I'll get you a popcorn machine for your birthday and you can watch the corn pop all day."

Jongup grins at how Himchan giggles in delight and skips next to him towards the lake.

Jongup thanks the student who hands them two yellow lanterns.

"Write a wish on the paper and let it go Chan."

Jongup smiles to himself when Himchan acts secretive about his wish, going as far as walking to the other end of the lake to write it down.

He pulls himself from reality for a bit while he ponders over his wish and jots it down before the embarrassment can settle in.

'Make Himchan realise that I'm the one who loves him'

-

Jongup sees Himchan the day after the weekend. He's pacing in front of Himchan's locker, pondering whether he should slide his letter in or not. Obviously with his bad luck, Himchan had caught him try to drop the tiny note into his locker.

"What's that you have there Gup?"

"N-nothing, Chan."

Jongup cowers when Himchan gives him a hard stare and opens up his palm in front of his face.

"Drop it, Moon. Jong. Up."

Jongup shivers at the way Himchan says his name. He drops the note defeatedly into Himchan's palm and tries to run away, only to be pulled back.

Jongup watches as Himchan peels the note open and his eyes scan over the words written in black ink

"Hey, Himchan.

Did you miss me? Did you dream about me in your sleep?

I want to be able to ask you these questions one day.

I want to be next to you on your bed when you wake up to a new day.

I want to be the one you run to when you're feeling sad, angry, happy etc.

I know you probably don't feel the same but I just want to tell you that I'm hopelessly in love with you.

I love you for everything you.

I love the way you scrunch your nose when you're thinking.

I love the way you whine and pout when you're tired.

I love how excited you sound when you talk about coffee.

I know you don't like it but I love your eye dimple the most because it tells me that you're smile is a real one.

 Yongguk doesn't deserve someone as beautiful as you and don't you go denying it.

You're beautiful inside and out.

That's why I love you. I didn't even know you when I fell for you but then you said something that struck me.

Remember that time when you said 'A human doesn't choose who they like, the heart chooses for them.'

That's when I realised my heart beats for you, Kim Himchan.

Only you.

P.S I'm not pressuring you into liking me. I just want you to know how I feel

Lots of love,

Moon Jongup <3

Jongup bites his nails as Himchan reads through the letter over and over again. He jumps when Himchan drops the letter and lets it float to the ground.

He can feel his heart cracking again. Jongup watches as Himchan slowly looks up to him, a look of shock clearly written on his face.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Wait, what?"

"Why didn't you tell me you liked me sooner?"

"I was scared of how you'd react."

"There's nothing to be scared of Moon Jongup because I think I'm in love with you too, you dummy." 

 

 

A/N: Lost steam towards the end but I managed to produce something semi-successful (?) Do comment loads and feedback ^_^