First Effect

The Consequences.

The grip that I had on the chopsticks tightened and I gritted my teeth in anger. I forced a smile on my face and tried hard not to scowl at them.

“What to do, she’s already 24 and yet, she doesn’t have a boyfriend” A close aunt of mine laughed heartily and looked at me mockingly as if the words she said didn’t affect me enough. Since she is like my own mother, I too chuckled and lowered down my head, continued eating.

“That’s why; all she does is hanging out with her guy friends.” My mother said, agreeing with my aunt. My mother sighed and looked at my aunt. “It’s so frustrating.”

My aunt clapped her hands once and said, “Do you know that old man’s daughter? That lives down the road?” My aunt asked and my mother nodded. “Her daughter got married, at such an early age.” My mother glanced at me and sighed. “Look at her, stuffing her face. Eat slowly, Jiae-yah.” I looked up at her and smiled, “Thanks , mom.”

My mother clucked her tongue, “How can you have a boyfriend if you act like your friends? You’re a girl, Jiae-yah, act like one.” I sighed and swallowed the remaining food in my mouth. All I did was eating like a pig and she’s saying that as if I cut off my hair short like a boy and joined a gang or something.

“I’m not interested in those kind of stuff, mom.” I said and picked up my chopsticks again.

“Maybe if she’s not interested, we could arrange something up.” Upon hearing my aunt’s words, I slammed my chopsticks on the table with a loud thud. I looked at them, “No. The date you arranged for me last year was horrible enough.” I groaned and stood up. “Thank you for the food.”

“Oh look at that, getting worked up over nothing again.” I heard my mother said as I walked out of the dining room. “She’s too sensitive.” It was the last thing I heard before going upstairs to my room.

I groaned and jumped on my bed. I took out my laptop from under my pillow and switched it on. I was about to reach out to my phone that was on my nightstand when it rang. I struggled to take it since I was too lazy to lift my off the comfy bed.

Without looking at the ID, I swiped the screen to answer. “What?!” I yelled over the phone.

“Whoa, what’s with you?” I heard Baekhyun’s voice over the phone. I groaned and mumbled, “What do you want?” He chuckled at my funny voice and replied, “The guys are going to hang out. Do you want to come?”

I flipped over so that I would lie on my stomach. I placed the phone on my ear and spread my arms on the bed, resting them. “I don’t know.” I muttered. I was incredibly tired since I had class at my college since morning and I had to help my mother’s friend with an event they were holding until evening.

“Oh come on Jiae-yah.” I could tell from the sound of his voice that he was pouting. I gave up and snorted, “You and your ways.”

He laughed over the phone and said, “Come over to my place.” before hanging up. I threw my phone on the bed and it landed with a soft thud.

I changed my sweatshirts into cropped shirt and a pair of black cigarette pants. I looked at my reflection through the mirror and wondered if I should wear a tank top underneath since part of my stomach could be visibly seen. “Nah.” I turned around and took my bag. “It’s just the boys.”

I switched off my laptop and took my phone, putting it in my handbag. I trudged down the stairs and was met with my mother and aunt that were eating fruits in the living room. The stopped talking and looked at me.

“Where are you going?” My mother asked. I fixed my hair and smiled, “To Baekhyun’s.” My aunt raised an eyebrow and looked at me, “Looking like that? Shouldn’t you be wearing something over that shirt?”

I sighed and bent over to pick up a fruit. “It’s just the boys, Aunt Jung. They won’t care.” I chewed on the apple and put back the fork on the table. “You should make one of them your boyfriend.” My mother joked. I rolled my eyes and sat down beside my aunt just so that I could finish all of the fruits.

“Jongin? He looks good, and polite too.” My mother said.

“Nah, that Oh Sehun kid look nice and cute. Certainly Jiae’s type.” I raised my eyebrow and laughed, wanting to know
their opinion about the boys. 

“Chanyeol is much better though. Although he smiles too much and sometimes his jokes are not even funny , but I like him.” My mother said as she switched the channel.

“That kid with the big eyes is nice too. He looked so lost sometimes but he’s cute. He’s your type too isn’t he Jiae-yah?” I made a face. Kyungsoo? My type? I snorted and turned away not before popping a slice of apple into my mouth.

I stood up and picked up my bag, “I’m going.” Before I could even step back, my mother stood up and asked me to wait. She came out of the kitchen few moments later with a few plastic containers in a bag. “Here, bring this to the boys. I’ve made a lot of food and I know Suho likes kimchi pancakes so eat together.” I took the bag from my mother.

I knew my mother had always has a soft spot for the boys since they were the ones that I grew up with and probably the ones who had caused me to only have guy friends and also the reason I have many girls hating me during high school for being the only girl friend of the school’s best faces or what they preferred to call, “flower boys”.

“Alright mom, I’m going. Bye, Aunt Jung” I put on my leather sneakers and went out the door. I was too lazy to park my car in the garage so I just left it in front of the house.

I didn’t even lock it since I know, no one could ever break into our house’s territory. The security is tight and even a cat have to go through the guards to get in. My house isn’t really a house. It’s more like a mansion. The houses near my house are my cousins and pretty much out whole family live here except for some that live overseas.

I opened the door to my car and placed the bag on my passenger seat. I just crossed my fingers and hoped that it wouldn’t fall and make a mess in my car.

Due to the heavy traffic, I’ve arrived to Baekhyun’s apartment later than I usually do. I’ve been to his apartment where he lives with Chanyeol way too often that I don’t even need the guard to call Baekhyun to let me in.

I parked my car near where the elevator was and got out the car with the plastic in my hand. Just when I got in the elevator, I heard my phone ringing and pressed the button 15, where Baekhyun’s apartment was, before answering the call.

I rolled my eyes and swiped the screen to answer. “I’m already here.”

“Why are you so late?” It was Jongin. I could hear the boys’ voices and I could tell that they’ve already made a mess in the house. “Just wait for a minute. Sheesh.” I groaned and the elevator dinged open.

I walked out of the elevator and quickly arrived in front of Baekhyun’s door. “Open the door.” I said and immediately I could hear voices, loud voices and it was followed by footsteps.

“Wow, food.” Sehun yelled and grabbed the plastic from my hand. I make a face and pushed him out of the way so that I could get inside, “Well, hello to you too.” I grumbled and took off my sneakers.

As soon as I walked into the living room the boys turned their attention to me and immediately the expressions brightened …. Or so I thought.

“Yeah!”

“It’s here!”

“Finally!”

“Food!”

“I’m starving.”

They ran passed me and went straight to Sehun who was holding the food. I plopped myself down next to Kyungsoo who seemed to be too engross into what the TV was showing. “Hey Jiae.”

I smiled, grateful to have someone to even greet me. “You’re kind. I like you.” I said as I laid my head on his shoulders.  He chuckled and ruffled my hair. “You look tired.” He said as he peered at my face.

I groaned and wrapped my arms around his torso. “I am.” He put an arm around my shoulder and pulled me up. “Come on, I’ll make you some tea.” He said and I grinned.

As we entered the kitchen, I said to him with a stupid grin on my face, “You’re the best, Umma.” He chuckled and let go of me. “Stop making that face. You look stupid.” He said and pulled out something out of the top cabinet.

I sat on one of the high stool and watched his back as he prepared my tea. “Why aren’t you eating?” I asked. He glanced back at me before turning around again. “I’ve already ate my dinner.”

I saw him pouring the liquid into two cups and turned around. He gave me one and said, “It’s hot, be careful.” I nodded and muttered a thank you.

“It’s good.” I said with a smile. “Of course, our Umma.” He sipped on his tea before flicking my forehead. “Like seriously, stop making that face. You’re ugly enough.”

I snorted and took a sip carefully. “As if saying that will make me stop.”

 

“Yah! Are you crazy?!”

“What?!”

Both of us took our mugs and went to the living room. I stared at the empty containers and looked at the boys in shock. “You guys finished it? … In minutes?” I stared at them.

“I didn’t even get to take a bite and that monster” Sehun pointed at Jongin who was standing far from Sehun with an innocent face. “… finished everything.”

“No, I didn’t, like really.” Jongin blinked at me. I looked at the Jongin and then at Sehun and then at Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Suho who were avoiding my gaze. “What are you guys … five? You’re old enough to buy food for yourself.”

“Why are you so grumpy today?” Chanyeol wiped the sauce off from the corner of his lips and sat down right beside me. “I’m not –hey.” I protested when he snatched the mug from me. “Ah~ nice.” He said and put back the now empty mug in my hand.

He ignored my glare and showed me his infamous smile. “You look cute today.” He complimented and I simply shrugged. “I know.” I snatched the remote control from Kyungsoo and changed the channel.

“I was watching that.” Suho said before kicking my legs. I kicked him back and he groaned in dismay. “Stop being a baby grandpa.” I heard a snicker from Baekhyun and was soon punished by Suho when he smacked him on the head. “I’m still hungry.” Sehun whined and cutely looked at Kyungsoo.

He looked away and muttered to himself, “No, Kyungsoo. You’re not falling for it. You’re not falling for it.”

Sehun looked at me and I immediately gave in. “Ugh fine. I’ll order pizza.” I said as I took out my phone. Sehun and Jongin high fived each other while Chanyeol yelled with his deep voice loudly, “Pizza!”

 

Thanks a lot for subbing peeps! xoxo XD